The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage saddle for Jr (well, 11 year old)

I am looking for a decent dressage saddle for my daughter. She is 11 years old, and takes about a 15, maximum 15 1/2 seat. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, as I know she will outgrow it fast, but I am finding it difficult to find anything. I saw one that Stubben has advertised as a "Junior" saddle, but they only make it in a 17" seat.

She is riding a 14.2hh pony - that takes a medium tree. She will be showing training level this year. I know she could use her A/P saddle, but I feel the dressage saddle would help her seat/leg position. Also her A/P is brown and his bridle is black.

Any suggestions.

Colleen at www.advancedsaddlefit.com makes a saddle called the Phoebe that is designed for junior riders that has all the blocks on velcro, so even a little bit larger seat size can be blocked down for a growing rider. Drop her an email - their saddles are EXTREMELY high quality, with a high resale value.

I don't have any personal experience with them, so can't speak to the quality, but Thornhill makes a black leather Jr. dressage saddle for around $300.

http://www.thornhillusa.com/saddles/youthsaddles.html

Quote Originally Posted by Banner View Post
    I am looking for a decent dressage saddle for my daughter. She is 11 years old, and takes about a 15, maximum 15 1/2 seat. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, as I know she will outgrow it fast, but I am finding it difficult to find anything. I saw one that Stubben has advertised as a "Junior" saddle, but they only make it in a 17" seat.

She is riding a 14.2hh pony - that takes a medium tree. She will be showing training level this year. I know she could use her A/P saddle, but I feel the dressage saddle would help her seat/leg position. Also her A/P is brown and his bridle is black.

Any suggestions.
    Stubben NA found a few more Laurus D saddles for their sale - grab one while they are still available.
    The Laurus was made for junior riders so flap & balance are designed for kids rather than small adults, if you call Stubben NA, they will measure the saddle for you & discuss fit for the horse (note all these heavily discounted saddles are final sale BUT if you're in an area with a Stubben rep, you will likely be able to have the saddle brought out ... along with others to try )

Photo with zoom

(sadly Stubben has discontinued this saddle, it was originally available in a range of colors)

Wintec offers a Pony Dressage & a Pro Pony Dressage (should fit the horse differently), I'd recommend the flocked version (especially with a light rider as the CAIR panels do supply "bounce") - Foxhunter does ALOT of Bates/Wintec so I always suggest contacting Alan for discussion (he's very competitive with pricing & willing to state whether he'd recommend a saddle based upon your goals & fit for the horse).
    I'm not a Wintec fan but there are many people that are

Definitely discuss this with your trainer before buying anything as you want to consider how long your kid will still be riding her current pony, also consider where your kid is growth wise.