The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Disturbing status on Facebook about drugging???

Below I have copied and pasted a status I came across last night on my newsfeed. Not sure what GABA is, nor does she come right out and say it, but can I assume she is supporting the use of a needle and saying there are far worse things people should be focusing on like bad shoeing & coaching? Whats even more disturbing is that she gained several "likes" and comments from reputable horse-people in the business! Are people this brain washed? Who cares about how "safe" it is for horse and rider blah blah BS, drugging is illegal at horse shows and an unfair practice to those who actually train and ride correctly. The first paragraph is her status and below that are comments she made underneath it.

Get a life people!! If GABA is your only thing in life, u need help. Hell of a lot more in the world than people actually not killing their horses to show them!! Seriously??!!! Get off the Xanax & adderall & god knows what else – then preach to the choir! I’m over it!

Lets worry about guns & sh*t actually killing something??!!! Not idiots with a needle!! That freakin happens every freaking day!!!

No one seems to care about the stupid trainer with a dreadful shoe job crippling their horse or a**hole trainer riding their horse into the ground or the horse not getting enough food or even electrolytes or god forbid an aspirin cuz its not feeling great!!! But let’s crucify someone for something 90% of the ‘horsemen’ in the world know nothing about!!!!

Like the fact that its much less lethal than most ‘horsemen’ make the horses do!!!

God just get over it!!! Move on & shut up!!!

Lets punish the ignorant person who has a kimberwick in the ponies mouth with a beginner rider at a local show!! That’s far more damaging! Is there anyone out there with any common sense?

1 members found this post helpful.

#crazyAAcircutpeople

13 members found this post helpful.

OMG How can anyone say it is alright to drug an animal? I guess a person who can only ride drugged animals! That is a ridiculous argument. As a police officer I can say this kind of thinking is whats wrong with America today!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

That FB post is just further proof that "you can't fix stupid."

24 members found this post helpful.

I completely disagree with the drugging part of this status.

However the person who posted this on FB did make other valid points: poor shoeing, riding into the ground, improper bits (I HATE seeing a kimberwicke - it's cheating and a cop out of actual riding, plain and simple), starving horses... People who lack the common knowledge of shoeing, feeding, tack and general horse care don't belong at a horse show to begin with.

BUT I do think that drugging horses with more than the occasional bute is the #1 issue with horse showing today. Fix this and it will force trainers and riders to become actual horsemen/women.

9 members found this post helpful.

We are going back to the same topic discussed here over and over. Her post was hysterical but what she is basically saying is true. Many, most top barns drug their horses, they just know how not to get caught by mixing their cocktails efficiently. A lot of other people do ride horses/ponies to the ground and then go on FB and post cute photos of how much they care for their horses and get tons of likes and keep doing the abuse under the good horsemanship cover. I dont think she is advocating GABA, I think she is saying no point getting hysterical or throwing stones at those caught when everyone(and this refers to the AA circuit not your nice, horse loving trainer at home) seems to do some variation of drugging/horse abuse in order to have an edge in the competition.

I was curious so I googled GABA and figured I might as well share: http://horsetalk.co.nz/2012/05/08/ga.../#.UO7tRKVOgoY

It appears to be a substance with calming effects that is contained in Carolina Gold.

Am I allowed to post a link to it? Is that illegal in anyway since she put it out there for the public to see?

The OP posted the content so IMO is unnecessary to post the person's name since she posted it for her friends and not the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by leyla25 View Post
    The OP posted the content so IMO is unnecessary to post the person's name since she posted it for her friends and not the general public.
    I am not friends with this person on facebook and was able to see her timeline wall, so nothing is private that I can see, and thats, I guess, how it showed up on my newsfeed. She obviously doesn't mind putting herself out there for others to know who she is and also the trainers that liked and commented in support of her status. Dont you think the general public should know who is drugging and actively supporting it? By the looks of it, she attends the best of the best shows including Devon, and does the International Hunter Derbies. Appauling that someone who is an active AA contender ACTIVELY medicates for shows and admits it on social media. Hilarious that nothing can be done about it either, but I guess thats the world we live in and her barn supports the AA circuit and thats all USEF cares about.

Quote Originally Posted by CCISuperStar View Post
    Am I allowed to post a link to it? Is that illegal in anyway since she put it out there for the public to see?
    Not sure about illegal, but definitely unethical. You have already shown questionable ethics is copying and pasting a vague facebook post under an alias IMHO. If you wanted to comment on that status, the place to do so was on facebook.

I am always disheartened with our sport when I realize how many are OK with cheating, but this type of behavior is no better. Ugh.

CCIsuperstar what the person said was that it was ridiculous how everyone is hovering around (and starting rumors) to find out who the next person is that was charged with a violation of GABA instead of just focusing on riding and enjoying the animals and the horse show. (ie just sick of the topic already) There was absolutely no advocating but rather frustration that GABA has become the exhaustive topic when there are other things to focus on.

Definitely one of those times you should think before you spread rumors too
    Anthony 'Tony' Soprano Sr.: If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them

Default Don't post link

Quote Originally Posted by CCISuperStar View Post
    On the one hand, it's probably not public. You probably saw it because you have a friend who posted a comment, and the original status-er had privacy set to "friend of friends".

On the other hand, nothing posted on facebook should ever be treated as "private". And if you did post a link and we're not allowed, we wouldn't see the status anyway.

But don't.
    Last edited by NumberTenOx; Jan. 10, 2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling

This isn't necessarily fair to post as all these comments have now been taken out of context. I'm reading this post a little differently than you are. No where does she imply we should be drugging our horses to show, so maybe you're making that assumption based on your knowledge of this person.

My take is this is in reply to the buzz around the recent NYTimes article. Because of that article, you have a lot of people who aren't fully informed on the subject or the specific instance, and are crucifying a trainer and the sport. It implied all the drugs used were to calm the horse or specifically improve performance in the show ring. Aside from the Gaba (I think that was on there?), most were joint supplements or anti-inflammatories, not calming agents or masking drugs. The issue isn't entirely what was given (save for the one or two illegal drugs listed. That absolutely is a problem), the issue is the timing of what was given and an incorrectly administered injection. One of the big points of that story was how a trainer, who is not a veterinarian, gave an injection. Not every drug or medication can be made in effective pill/powder form, meaning that injections can be necessary. I feel more comfortable knowing that people who regularly handle my horse are capable of performing all aspects of their care, injections included. We should be asking ourselves why there isn't a certification course or why vets don't regularly check in with trainers/head grooms/owners on how to properly give injections instead.

Administering calming/masking drugs to horses and ponies to show is an abomination to the sport, but she isn't incorrect when she says that it isn't the most lethal thing out there. I see training mistakes all the time: improper instruction by people who have no business being trainers, using gadgets to create a false response, over facing people in the show ring, terrible hooves, incorrect tack, bad diets....All these aspects, as they are something the horse encounters with on a daily basis, are far more likely to cause them to be injured or break down more quickly.

While I understand your emotional response to the post, as it deals with a tough issue, you're crucifying this person for exactly what she is rightfully speaking out against. You said yourself you don't know what GABA is and immediately assumed she was advocating for the use of illegal drugs in the show ring when that was not said once. I read her comments as she is speaking to the fact that we, as a horse community, need to be thinking rationally about all aspects of horse training and care, not just the media sensationalized ones.

What of the mother who still leased the pony after seeing so many drugs charged to their bill when they tried it? Drugging the pony wasn't an issue for her then. There needs to be reinforcement from the governing bodies and a unified response from the trainers that ALL people who pay for/train/ride/care for a horse, are and should be held responsible for that horse. We owe it to them to be kind and allow them to be horses, not machines.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    I was curious so I googled GABA and figured I might as well share: http://horsetalk.co.nz/2012/05/08/ga.../#.UO7tRKVOgoY

It appears to be a substance with calming effects that is contained in Carolina Gold.
    Yup. And, OP, you might want to send this FBidiot a link to John Long's letter responding to the NY Times Humble article.

Apparently, the USEF thinks GABA is worth some bunched panties.

Perhaps she and the head of our governing body should have lunch and come to an agreement about the correct ranking of priorities.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I didn't get that the person was advocating drug use at all. However, it is very difficult to figure out just what she is saying given the lack of literacy.

Just looks like a rant to me.

4 members found this post helpful.

I think what she posted can be interpreted both ways. Even after knowing what GABA is, it does seem she is an advocate
    for medicating when she said this:

"Lets worry about guns & sh*t actually killing something??!!! Not idiots with a needle!! That freakin happens every freaking day!!!"

Im not out to defame anyone, or 'crucify' if you will. The entire status caught me offguard and pissed me off since I read it, and still read it to say she thinks there are bigger issues than medicating in the show ring.

OP I can see how you took it that way and how callous her comments seemed to you. The mentality is wrong - just because there are people killing others doesn't free you to inject horses because is a minor offense in comparison. The killing of innocent people in warring countries can be excused as well as a form of defense.

Knowing whose FB status this is, I would ignore it and move on. She's incredibly hypocritical in her post - she's the first one that comes to mind when I think of trainers in her area that are rough on their horses. Typical drama queen behavior is displayed in this post of hers, and it's not even worth discussing. I might add it's also incredibly unbecoming for a horse "professional" to be acting that way in a publicly seen place.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberTenOx View Post
    O

On the other hand, nothing posted on facebook should ever be treated as "private".

This. It goes for forums as well.