The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Easy Cue Dressage Whip?

Has anyone tried the Easy Cue Dressage Whip? It's design allows you to keep your hands in the correct position while holding a long dressage whip.

http://www.dcueproducts.com/

Looks great to me!

Thanks!

I would worry about inadvertent tapping. Especially if using and open rein. Just a thought since I haven't used one. I always test a whip by it's "whip factor." I hold it upside down by the button or handle end. I barely move my wrist, more fingers. It the last moves easily... SOLD! I love these from Dover:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/colored...e2urrk22xass45

I use the black/grey when showing, but would love to try a colored one for schooling! Good luck. If you go with the Easy Cue, let us know how it works for you!

I think it looks brilliant. I'll be interested to hear from those who have tried it.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

I agree with the above. I like the idea, especially since I tend to curl my wrists and I find it is exacerbated when I am carrying a whip, but I'd worry that the curve would cause additional problems, like "tickling", interfering with the leg, etc. I'd be interested to try one out for sure!

I've tried it, the loop for the leg tends to hang down. Seemed like a good idea, but doest work imho. And difficult to use specifically if desired because of where the center of weight is imho.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

It might be one of those things where you have to try it to know if you'd like it...like all horse gear, it's such a personal decision. 2 people at my barn use this Easy Cue. One of them has terrible arthritis in her hands and loves the whip. I borrowed hers, but since I was drilled on how to use a straight whip decades ago , I didn't find the curved whip more helpful than what I was already used to. I can see if I was new to dressage it would have been easier to start with this whip.

Default Why I want to try easy cue...

THANKS SO MUCH for all the response! Such a help in making a decision.

I've tried to use a dressage whip and it TOTALLY messes up my hand position. Maybe if I rode with my hands far apart (as indeed I do see a lot of dressage people doing - right or wrong, I don't know) the whip wouldn't hit my thigh. I find I have to ride with my hands totally flat - in a very wrong position.

I am only learning dressage because I started eventing 2 yrs ago (formerly h/j 40 yrs), and (with my eventer trainer's help) am just now getting a bit proficient at it. I've found I REALLY need a back up for my spur, particularly on the right.

I'm going to study the picture again, maybe there is a video out there? And then buy it, I'm sure. The price was off-putting, but if it works it will be worth it.

Well, how about just choking up on the dressage whip a bit? I carry mine farther down the shaft, about 1/3 down from the head/button end, so it mostly balances in my hand, pointing backward. I only drop it down to the horse's flank, or wherever, when needed.

I just want to point out something that was told to me. Carry the whip with the handle under your thumb (with your rein) it angles it differently and lets you keep your hand still

Maybe this one would help? (I've never tried it but remembered seeing a picture of it and looked it up for you.)
    http://downunderhorsemanship.com/sto...20INCH%20BLACK
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Isabeau: That is a good idea, but would be more like carrying a long crop. I'm used to a bat, but that isn't used as an aid to back up my leg. I think it might be hard to get used to. Will try, however!

Hawks Nest: At that angle the whip hits the rail or whatever is on that side! But thanks!

Bearcat: I looked that up, and actually that whip would put itself even more against my thigh, unless I rode with my hands wide apart, which I do not. However, I would LOVE to see a video of that whip in use to give me a better idea! Thanks!

looks like a great idea, but it would interfer with what i have to do to my pony. she occasionally needs a tap on top of her but as a get her going moment when i am posting the trot. this shape would be wasted. I just love my Dover, or who ever else, dressage whip with the 2 wooden balls, can't remember the name, but is balanced. it is fun to show off when you hold it up with 1 finger and it is level.
    Memebr of Charlie Horse Riding Club.

Quote Originally Posted by afox2332 View Post
    Isabeau: That is a good idea, but would be more like carrying a long crop. I'm used to a bat, but that isn't used as an aid to back up my leg. I think it might be hard to get used to. Will try, however!
    My hands have a hard time holding on to anything. So I have no problem juggling the whip around. It's not gonna stay in one place anyway!!

It's q good idea in theory, but I'll bet it's hard to keep it facing the right direction, so that the curved part is facing the outside.

I can sympathize though ... I always feel like when I'm carrying a dressage whip my wrists end up twisting in weird directions ... This doesn't happen if I'm riding without a whip!

I have the same problem! When carrying a whip I always end up twisting my wrist into a piano hand in order to prevent hitting myself and my horse. I've tried every trick in the book and just can't seem to get it right unless I rode with wide hands...which I don't. I am completely whip impaired! And the whole flick the wrist without affecting contact I find completely impossible. Glad I'm not the only one!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."