The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    We have a winner!!!
    With all due respect, I'll leave the diagnosing to those that have actually seen the horse, xrays, etc.

BTW, she is doing very well! Her feet are much better.

Am I the only one that ever wonders why someone would take a perfectly sound horse and pull its shoes and watch it limp around waiting for this magical transition period to take place?!?!??

Why? Why? Why? Would you ever cause pain knowingly to an animal is beyond me.

I get it if you are trying to address an issue, but I couldn't look at my horse lame every day. I would try to address an issue such as a quarter crack with shoes if it meant that my horse was sound.

Shoes are not for all horses. My mare can absolutely not have hind shoes on. It makes her abscess on her left hind. We don't know why but it does, so she will never have them on again. Its that simple, but she is sound without them. I was just trying to give her a bit more support since we were jumping etc by having them. She is also barefoot in front now as well. She has only ever worn shoes for 1.5 years of her life which was when we lived at a barn that had sand turnouts. I think the sand wore away her sole, so she became ouchy on the gravel and a bit stingy when I was riding her. So, shoes were appropriate. She has since moved barns and states and is doing just fine barefoot. She did not have a transition period after her shoe were removed or they would have been put back on.

My older horse still wears shoes with rim pads and is pretty much retired! He has paper thin soles, so might as well keep him comfortable and no I don't mind paying over $100 for shoes for my horse to just look pretty in the pasture. We pulled his back shoes and guess what never took a sore step! So he was fine barefoot behind.

I just don't buy into this whole transition period. If you horse is lame then you do what you need to do to fix it. You don't watch it limp around waiting for the magical day that it will be sound.

But hey thats just me! I hope you get your horse looked at by the vet or your farrier and do whatever you need to do to make it comfortable. Surely your horse's comfort is more important than some "experiment".

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoover View Post
    . . .What is your argument against the theory that hooves need a toughening period (analogous to a human's feet developing callouses when first going barefoot in summer)?
    I have disproved the theory in my own practice thousands of times. I know dozens of COMPETENT farriers who have done the same.

If your theories about the hoof are based on experience with incompetent farriers, then the transition period theory has merit as an EXCUSE for the incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    Am I the only one that ever wonders why someone would take a perfectly sound horse and pull its shoes and watch it limp around waiting for this magical transition period to take place?!?!??
    FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Why doesn't the horse owner/op pull her own shoes and walk around barefoot for a year or two?

The illusion that "nature" means barefoot is from the old myth that mustangs live a long life barefoot. They get hoof problems and die, some when they are very young.

We guess OP only wants/needs advice from those who will tell her what she wants to hear. Reminds us of owners who have their horses trimmed the "natural" way and then have to put hoof boots on their horses to ride them.

Quote Originally Posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
    Why doesn't the horse owner/op pull her own shoes and walk around barefoot for a year or two?

The illusion that "nature" means barefoot is from the old myth that mustangs live a long life barefoot. They get hoof problems and die, some when they are very young.

We guess OP only wants/needs advice from those who will tell her what she wants to hear. Reminds us of owners who have their horses trimmed the "natural" way and then have to put hoof boots on their horses to ride them.
    My farrier brought a BLM cadaver hoof to my kids' 4H club to examine. Nothing pretty about that "natural trim". The horse was found down, and was euthanized; a closer look at the feet showed sinking founder and the coffin bone had begun to come through the sole. Ouch! It was absolutely horrible looking.

I would love to transition my retired TB mare to barefoot only to save me the hassle of having her shod as her feet are difficult in pretty much every way. But...I know that she would not be sound, certainly not over uneven, frozen terrain. So I choose the lesser of the "two evils" - shoes, because barefoot for her would be unfair. No "health benefits" to her if she's too sore to move around; you just trade one problem for another.

I thought the OP said in her original post that she was open to put shoes back on. So many posts end up being lectures to imaginary people who are entirely opposed to shoes.

"but there was an issue with a quarter crack six months ago and both my vet (after x-rays) and my farrier thought that being barefoot for a time could potentially help the foot find a better balance on its own." --jhoover

Regarding pulling the shoes so the horse could re-balance itself to repair a quarter crack!!

Again a good farrier should be able to balance the foot in the first place so that quarter cracks will not reoccur .
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I like another poster is wondering - has the OP had the vet out to deal with this lameness?

People ask for advice on these bb's - partake in debate on various issues for learning (or whatever) experiences but so often people don't involve their vet and IMHO think they should.

Not always (because I think it's been agreed upon each horse is different) but saying that; "often" if you pull shoes on a sound horse and have a lame horse usually there are some pathological issues going on that needs to be addressed by a vet.

If you pull shoes on a healthy hoof more often than not they walk off sound. Unless they have been trimmed too short then they can show lameness.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!