The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How often do you replace your helmet?

I've had my IRH for a year and a half now and I've had three pretty bad falls that included my head with it (I don't have the best track record and I ride a lot of greenies). Anyway I was wondering if I should get a new one and how you guys decide when its time for a new helmet?

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Helmets are one time use items when it comes to falls/damage. I would replace a helmet that had suffered any kind of impact. Absent any falls... every couple of years.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

3 members found this post helpful.

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

I think you're supposed to replace it after every fall that includes your head. I had a great stretch with my GPA, 8+ years with only about 4 falls, most towards the end, all involving my lower back or butt. I replaced it as my show helmet this fall, but it's so comfy I still school in it at home. Also, the indoor is dusty and I want to keep my samshield nice as long as possible!

Every five years (from manufacturing date, not when you bought it) or after any fall involving your head. Once the protective material is compressed from impact, it no longer protects your head, even if the outside of the helmet looks fine
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

8 members found this post helpful.

You are supposed to replace your helmet every 4-5 years. Or after any fall that impacted your head no matter how minor or severe. After 4-5 years the safety of the helmet decreases the materials break down and the helmet becomes compromised. You only have one head, please don't play around with it!

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks! I've kind of known I need to get a new one but I hate having to ask my parents for more horse stuff and I can't afford one of my own, but I guess I'll just suck it up and ask

Some manufacturers say 5 years after the helmet is made and some say 5 yrs after purchase. When I purchased my helmet I did not think to check manufacture date, turns out my helmet was already 2 years old! I ain't replacing a $500 helmet in 3 years (unless I fall and hit my head) so I will go with purchase date. It's kept in a cool barn and not used everyday so that will limit wear.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat. View Post
    I hate having to ask my parents for more horse stuff and I can't afford one of my own, but I guess I'll just suck it up and ask
    Show your parents this: http://www.beta-uk.org/media/safety/...%20Booklet.pdf if they hesitate.

Also, the 5 year thing is a guideline. My helmets don't last that long, especially when I was riding 4 a day. I can get about 18 months to 2 years out of my helmets (if I don't crash) before they are just so grody, stinky, and padding compressed. And I take decent care of them.

Thanks! I've kind of known I need to get a new one but I hate having to ask my parents for more horse stuff and I can't afford one of my own, but I guess I'll just suck it up and ask

There is a sale on Charles Owens this month,20% off. The only other time they go on sale is in June during helmet awareness day. As much as I hate buying new helmets for my daughter, her head is too precious to skimp on.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Timely post....been wondering about this one myself. I've had my helmet over 5 years (not had any significant falls in this helmet), but only worn it maybe 2 of those because I've been out of riding for awhile. However I've noticed its expanded a bit, so i've adjusted the chin strap and padding, and it seems fine. But is this a sign it needs to be replaced?
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

When I can no longer stand the smell!

(or fall on my head)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Timely post....been wondering about this one myself. I've had my helmet over 5 years (not had any significant falls in this helmet), but only worn it maybe 2 of those because I've been out of riding for awhile. However I've noticed its expanded a bit, so i've adjusted the chin strap and padding, and it seems fine. But is this a sign it needs to be replaced?
    Does it still fit your head, i.e. when you put it on and nod up and down/side to side does the helmet shift around? If it does, it doesn't fit and you might want to downsize.

I replaced my last IRH after about 3 years. I did have some falls, but none where my head hit the ground. I somehow tend to land ass first? I replaced it with a OneK Defender helmet (not the one with the built in sunglasses) and I LOVELOVELOVE it. It was extremely affordable (I got mine for less than $200 during the helmet awareness sale, but even without its still around $240 I believe) and so comfortable. The helmet itself is very light, great ventilation, looks nice enough for the show ring and is super low profile and flattering (at least on my head shape/face). Highly recommend checking it out!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

The principle material used in those helmets is styrofoam, which is affected by sunlight, heat, and pressure/compression (use.) Hence the max five year life suggested by the manufacturers even if there is no impact on the helmet during that time.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

This convinces me that I do need a new helmet. I have a GPA and like it, but not having been around the horse show scene for awhile, I was wondering what was popular now or what people like in general.
    "I may not be totally perfect, but parts of me are excellent."--Ashleigh Brilliant

I replace it whenever I hit my head in a fall, even if my head doesn't take the main impact. I would say "every 3 years," but I've yet to make it that long without a bonk on the noggin.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

After every fall involving my head or neck and every five years to the date stamped on the helmet. I'm not messing around with my noggin!

Depends if you're hung up on What Other People Might Think. This is your brain you're talking about. There are several good, approved helmets under $100. Muck out some stalls, clean some tack, get a few babysitting jobs. You won't have to ask your parents for a thing.

And go with the 5 years from date of manufacture. You can never know how long a helmet has spent in a hot warehouse or some other materials-compromising place.

Plus, when you discard your old helmet, cut the straps off so that it stays discarded.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Yeah, but it's not a luxury item, but a necessity, and it's not like you're asking for a Samshield Custom. Offer to meet them part of the way on the price that's within your budget. But get that helmet replaced!!!