The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Your favorite place to shop for baby pads, please?

So, I invested in a nice sheepskin half pad but my baby pad is a perfect rectangle and therefor bunching up under my saddle.

Please tell me where I can find better shaped one (hopefully fairly) inexpensively. I did a search as I am sure this has been asked before but couldn't find anything helpful.

Thanks!

I have always thought that the purpose of paying for a sheepskin pad was to have the sheepskin against the horse's back, with nothing in between; do you need the baby pad at all? The dirt and dried sweat should pretty much just brush off the sheepskin, or, if you need it very spiffy for showing, it should come right back with a rinse with melp or one of the other products for washing sheepskin.

When you say "shaped," are you referring to a thin quilted pad that is shaped like a fleece hunter pad? If so, you can get those from VTO Saddlery or Lucky Pony.

If you are just referring to a baby pad that is slightly contoured rather than a plain square, you can find those lots of places, including Dover, SmartPak, and Schneiders.
    Last edited by Crazy-Pony; Jan. 10, 2013 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonA View Post
    I have always thought that the purpose of paying for a sheepskin pad was to have the sheepskin against the horse's back, with nothing in between; do you need the baby pad at all? The dirt and dried sweat should pretty much just brush off the sheepskin, or, if you need it very spiffy for showing, it should come right back with a rinse with melp or one of the other products for washing sheepskin.
    I didn't know this. I use a sheepskin half-pad between my mare's saddle and saddle pad.

I get 99% of my pads off Ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.