The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Opinions Please on This Pedigree

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...year=&breeder=

Dynamystical. She is being delivered tonight! Small chestnut TB mare - what's not to like! Thanks so much for sharing insights...
    Last edited by Julie Worley; Dec. 22, 2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Adding info.

Great racing pedigree. I’ll be interesting in hearing what others that know way more than I do about the sporthorse aspects

1 members found this post helpful.

Bump! Just wondering...

I love Dynaformer and Elusive Quailty.....what I don t like is In Rality and Roberto in same Pedigree.....you could end up,with a temperament issue.....While I like Elusive Quality Smarty didn t have the best feet and only time will tell what passes and what is just in that particular mating....

Lots of good jumping in that pedigree. Smarty Jones full brother is quite a good show jumper---I think he had wind issues or something that kept him from racing. His dam line with Foolish Pleasure is one I tend to like (great shoulders, good movers and class gallop).

Dam line on this mare to Alydar is also nice...know to pass on a good jump. So just looking a the pedigree....she might be a bit hot but if no soundness issues, I'd expect quite a good jumping horse.
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

She seems to have a very nice temperament. Settling in nicely. Not sound at the moment. But that's pretty typical of our experience with OTTB's. She has a beautiful canter in the field, very balanced, switched her leads. Level headed. So far, so good...

My Smarty Jones stallion has a lovely temperament, great feet, super jumper, lovely mover. He is Seattle Slew on dam side though which is apparently a popular cross.

Jennifer

My biggest concern is that the filly is unsound after just one race where she didn't run hard enough to place? I have two directly off the track who are sound as a dollar several years later with many races under their collective "belts". Both are Mr P close up, the mare a direct granddaughter through Not for Love. According to some "experts" on COTH, they should be chronic cripples by now.

Mine weren't "rescues" though. Was this filly? I can't imagine taking on an unsound three yo unless it was free and you have the time & resources to rehab and reschool her.

I'm no expert with TB pedigrees but Dynafomers are known to be tough horses. Not all of course but enough where temperament issues are common. Fine for a racehorse handled by pros everyday.

Good luck with her.

My reaction is similar to above. This has been an unsound horse. Perhaps fixable, perhaps not.

I believe that Elusive Quality has had an offspring who was extremely successful steeplechasing, the big stuff. Short listed for an Eclipse award a few years ago I think. Don't remember it's name though. Alydar is helpful, as is the inbreeding to his sire, Raise a Native. Sir Ivor in there a ways back is a good thing too. And Turn To. Roberto to Dynaformer is the questionable disposition source. Tough, not easy horses.

Good luck!

I think it depends on a persons definition of sound. I've never had an OTTB who I considered sound coming out of racing or race training. All were sound for racing. All were "sound" to most people and passed PPE but were sore, out of alignment and not as sound as I want my sport horses. But all in the judgement of myself and my vet had soreness and were unlevel not in ways that had me concerned for long term and just needed time, some decent body work and reconditioning and strength work as part of their retraining.

I personally prefer horses who have had more starts but hopefully this filly comes around and does well as a sport horse. Not all horses can handle racing on many levels. Not all mature fast enough. But if stopped before long term damage, many can hold up just fine for a sport career.
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    I think it depends on a persons definition of sound. I've never had an OTTB who I considered sound coming out of racing or race training. All were sound for racing. All were "sound" to most people and passed PPE but were sore, out of alignment and not as sound as I want my sport horses. But all in the judgement of myself and my vet had soreness and were unlevel not in ways that had me concerned for long term and just needed time, some decent body work and reconditioning and strength work as part of their retraining.

I personally prefer horses who have had more starts but hopefully this filly comes around and does well as a sport horse. Not all horses can handle racing on many levels. Not all mature fast enough. But if stopped before long term damage, many can hold up just fine for a sport career.
    agree, as usual.

i will say, that having diesis in a pedigree is a GOOD thing. i've liked all of his get, though i have not seen many - most were little and compact things with a soft eye and nice head.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Our amazing vet checked the filly out today. She is in such discomfort from ulcers, that she can't really be assessed for other issues until the ulcers get treated. I feel so sorry for her but glad we can do something about it.