The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Purina Amplify v. Nutrena Boost?

Which of these do horses seem to prefer the taste of? Have a mare that is a hard keeper and thinking about adding one of these to her diet. The Purina has a higher fat content, but is much pricier. She is a bit picky. Pros and cons of each? Thanks in advance!

I used Purina on my ancient pony. He seemed to like it okay and it helped keep weight on during his last few years. I never tried the nutrena. Good Luck!

Love the Nutrena, hit or miss with them eating it. I fed it to Aisha, a stallion, and a younger mare (back when it was just Nutrena Empower, before they divided it into "Boost" and "Balance," the old stuff and Boost are the same), and then again to a pony mare with zero issues, everyone loved it. Rory wouldn't eat it when I tried it with him, but now that his ulcers have been treated he might?

FWIW, I love that stuff.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I love Boost. Never had one turn their nose up at it. I used Amplify a couple years ago, it worked okay. Some horses ate it, not all of them. Boost seems to work better and it passes the taste test.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.

I used the Progressive fat supplement for years (blanking on the name...); horses always ate it. Switched to Amplify a few months ago when I changed brands & feed stores. I haven't seen any differences in my horses' condition and they all eat it. It seems to cost the same as the Progressive when you consider it's a 50lb. bag vs. Progressive's 40lb. bag.
    "I never met a man I didn't like who liked horses." Will Rogers

I have boarders who have used both products. I have never had a horse refuse to eat Amplify, however there have been some who turned their nose up at the Boost. When a fat supplement is indicated, I reccomend that the owners try Amplify or Buckeye's Ultimate Finish...

Good Luck
    West of nowhere

Mine would NOT touch the Amplify. Was fine with the Boost. The Amplify does have a pretty strong smell (peanut butter?) unless they recently changed the formula, so that could have been part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer13 View Post
    Mine would NOT touch the Amplify. Was fine with the Boost. The Amplify does have a pretty strong smell (peanut butter?) unless they recently changed the formula, so that could have been part of it.
    Lol...so there you have it.... use whatever the horse will eat...
    West of nowhere

for the hard keepers we have switched them from Purina feeds to a totally grass based feed such as Thrive

The Amplify based products our horses did not like. (and I know we were getting fresh feed as the local Purina mill is just four miles away)

Thrive has worked very well on the two that we were having weight gain issues, both are in good flesh now.... takes about 2 to 3 months

http://thrivefeed.com/Amazing_Thrive_Feed.html

I suspect there are other grass based feeds in other parts of the country

I had my Senior TB on both Amplify and Boost. I don't notice much difference in weight but the Boots is over $10 cheaper in my area so I stick with Boost. I like the results, my horse eats it, win/win.

So I splurged and bought the Amplify. Knowing the princess, she would turn her nose up at the Boost. And others here at the barn have had success with it. day 2 and she likes it so far. Now that I've said that she will turn her nose up at it for breakfast...

I've used both on my hard keeper, and I think they're fairly similar. There are a couple of horses that aren't too fond of the Boost and I feel like Amplify holds up a little better if you're feeding a wet feed i.e. beet pulp. I also used Ultimate Finish for a little while when I stopped feeding Amplify (feed store stopped carrying it) and liked that a lot.

I've been feeding Amplify for a about 18 months and my horse has never turned his nose up at it! It's expensive but it does help keep weight on my hard keeper.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

My YH would only nibble at the Boost & my friend's horse wouldn't touch it.