The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Too much Info and now I am confused! Help with front foot lameness...S

So I previously wrote a very long winded thread about this same injury. However, I have been doing research in the intern, and am now very confused.

Short version:
    Horse came up with mild lameness in LF 3 weeks ago only under saddle. No heat, no swelling, no pulse. Vet came out, watched him go, then with me on him. We blocked the back of the foot, minor improvement. Block front and he came up 100% sound. Xrays came up super clean. We injected the coffin, just in case. He is on stall rest for the next week.

4 days later, horse is still lame. Same level of lameness.

Day 10 after injection. Horse is worse. Panic ensues that joint may be infected. (Horse has not been out due to stall rest, then lots of rain.)

Day 11 horse is fine, but still lame.

Vet was away for 2 weeks over the holidays. Horse has been busy eating. He is now lame in hand at the trot. Walking even, but landing slightly softer on LF.

Here's the thing. Blocking of the back of the foot should have made him 100% sound if the damage was to the Deep digital, impar and navicular, yes? And an injection into the coffin should have briefly improved all of those AND the collateral ligaments, yes? So what is all of this pointing to? What is this mostly likely to be? I should point out horse has been on stall rest and limited turnout. And luckily he isn't a runner. I am concerned that he is getting worse.

Vet comes out tomorrow, to block one more time and evaluate. Then we are going for an MRI. Just trying to get an idea of what I am most likely dealing with... Help!
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Sometimes treatment itself can be a diagnostic tool. Sounds like you're dealing with an MRI if you want a clear picture of the situation (no pun intended).

Good luck.

Could there be a puncture wound or some foreign object stuck up in the foot? I know, wild ass guess, but you've addressed all the obvious things. One would think that even with a soft tissue injury in the foot, that he would not continue to get more lame while he was on rest.

Something similar to this happened to a friends horse long ago back when I used to live in the snow, and it turned out somehow he'd incurred a hairline fracture to the coffin bone due to some sort of ice ball he stepped on oddly while playing in turnout. He had stall rest etc and recovered 100% fine.
    Cloverfox Stables

1 members found this post helpful.

Coffin fracture not easily seen on X-ray maybe? Also my vet explained once that if something improves slightly from a block but not 100%, it's possible that if you waited a while longer there could be further improvement (I can't remember for how long or how much more improvement is possible). Not sure how likely, but it's a possibility maybe the first block improved things more by the time you got to the second block. You'll find your answer with the MRI though, good luck!
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

But don't coffin bone fractures have strong digital pulses?
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator