The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Min. width of mirrors needed in arena to be useful?

What minimum width is necessary when buying mirrors for the end of the long side? They'll be used to check if I'm straight or if doing shoulder-in or travers, that we have the correct angle. Sadly, no budget for a wall of mirrors! The store sells panels 6 ft tall with 3 different widths. Of course the wider mirrors jumps up in $$ considerably, so I'd like to get the narrower size, but don't want to be so frugal that the mirrors aren't helpful. For those of you who've used mirrored closet doors for your arena, what size can I get away with? My options are 24", 30" or 36" wide. I know "the wider the better", but can I get away with less to save money ?

I am thinking 5 feet for the width, 4 feet as a minimum.... Not sure if you will see much in even 36 inches/ 3 feet? I guess it also depends on the length of your arena. Where did you find them?? We are looking for arena mirrors too but haven't had much luck around here, and then there is the problem of mounting them....

I'm sorry I have absolutely no idea which one is best besides wider being better. But I did think of something to help you see a difference! Do you have a cheap full length mirror? I got one from target for like $15. Put it the long way and mark off your options: 24", 30", 36". Then ride and see which one you can see sufficiently.

Well, my h/j barn has a tall thin mirror in that location and I'd say it's 36" and I find it useless until I'm on top of it! I certainly couldn't see it being helpful from half the arena away, and our indoor isn't that huge - 120', I think.

OK, interesting - thanks for the replies so far. I also emailed a barn where I've attended clinics and they said their mirrors are 30" wide. It is on a ledge and angled down a bit and I had no problem seeing myself for at least 3/4 of the long side. I think this is the width I'll buy unless I get more feedback. I'm trying to get this little project done by the end of the month. Thanks all!