The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'm dropping mine this year; thanks to some unforseen tax stuff, I have a good amount of money saved up if the mare has a big bill, or g-d forbid she dies or needs to be retired and I get another horse. But that was not the case when I first had her, and I was happy she was insured when she got hurt, needed surgery, and then had a long and complicated rehab... Insurance covered about $6500 in bills and I paid another $3500 or so out of pocket.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Well I am in a current situation where I have to say I am thankful for my major medical insurance. My 7 year old with no previous history of any injuries has been diagnosed with moderate to severe DJD in his pastern and because of my insurance I can offer him the surgery that can give him quality of life to at least be comfortable for hopefully many years to come. Without the insurance I can honestly say I would be stressing out badly and probably not able to provide this for him. In the past 5 years I have lost two young horses due to unforeseen events; neither of which were insured at the time. In hindsight I really wish I would have had at least some mortality on them to help me move on. Now I can help this guy, although unfortunately I am left without a horse to ride again but that is another story!!

So I would say I am feeling good right now that I have insurance on mine. I do not carry full value, but enough to get the major medical, especially for big events like this should they arise.
    RIP My Beautiful Kevin
    2003-2009
    RIP Sweet Ella
    2009-2011

I own 3 horses and 2 of mine are going to be dropped when they renew, keeping only my active show horse insured. Just trying to save money and one horse is old; another is being retired due to frequent injuries.