The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'm dropping mine this year; thanks to some unforseen tax stuff, I have a good amount of money saved up if the mare has a big bill, or g-d forbid she dies or needs to be retired and I get another horse. But that was not the case when I first had her, and I was happy she was insured when she got hurt, needed surgery, and then had a long and complicated rehab... Insurance covered about $6500 in bills and I paid another $3500 or so out of pocket.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"
    2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine "What do I do with you, Baby J?"

Well I am in a current situation where I have to say I am thankful for my major medical insurance. My 7 year old with no previous history of any injuries has been diagnosed with moderate to severe DJD in his pastern and because of my insurance I can offer him the surgery that can give him quality of life to at least be comfortable for hopefully many years to come. Without the insurance I can honestly say I would be stressing out badly and probably not able to provide this for him. In the past 5 years I have lost two young horses due to unforeseen events; neither of which were insured at the time. In hindsight I really wish I would have had at least some mortality on them to help me move on. Now I can help this guy, although unfortunately I am left without a horse to ride again but that is another story!!

So I would say I am feeling good right now that I have insurance on mine. I do not carry full value, but enough to get the major medical, especially for big events like this should they arise.
    RIP My Beautiful Kevin
    2003-2009
    RIP Sweet Ella
    2009-2011

I own 3 horses and 2 of mine are going to be dropped when they renew, keeping only my active show horse insured. Just trying to save money and one horse is old; another is being retired due to frequent injuries.