The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Paulamc-Thanks for chimming in! I was hoping you would since I had read some of your previous post on breeding with partial doses.
    Much appreciate your input, that is the info I'm looking for.

I agree with Spike, so much come into play (good vet, fertile mare, planets alligning etc..) but when I hear from a few people (too bad the sample size is so small but hey I'll take it) that a certain's stallion is good ennough to try on partial dose I feel a bit more confident in trying it on my older mares.
    VĂ©ronique
    www.FormosusSporthorses.ca
    Like us on Facebook

I got two mares in foal with half doses of Dauphin, but both mares lost the pregnancies. My vet, a therio, says that his frozen is better than many stallion's fresh semen.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

1 members found this post helpful.

SPS -- did you have a foal by Temptation?
    PennyG

Penny, no foal yet. The mare is bred for this year, and it belongs to a friend. The mare took on 1 straw.

If you look on the Dansk Varmblod sales database there are some there for examples of what he produces.

I'll chime in for Balou du Rouet! 1 dose (3 straws) two foals.
    Nani Lio Farm, LLC
    www.naniliofarm.com

Paula do you know of pregnancies from Status Quo? I hadnt heard of any. I used one dose and I thought Tricia Veley had used one dose both with no pregnancies. I have one dose left but have been scared to try since I hadn't heard of any successful attempts. Thanks!

Haven't seen any TK stallion owners reply and know for a fact there are some super ones out there when it comes to frozen. If TK's ok Tzigane *Pb* has 100% conception w/the frozen collected last year for EU mare owners. We're using the same lab to collect & freeze for the US, Australia & South Africa right now (all previous frozen for US was destroyed in the CSU fire 2yrs ago - and we had a pregnancy from partial dose of that).
    Owner of ATA and Verband-Approved Trakehner stallion, Tzigane *Pb*, breeder of ATA-approved Semper Fidelis

www.twingates.com

Default Super Frozen Semen

We saw very good quality from Furst Romancier. 2 pregnacies using a single dose each.
    Barn slave to www.stonerosefarm.com
    web slave to wwwarmbloods.com

This thread is why we employ a one dose one pregnancy clause. We ship adequate frozen in straws to give a great chance to get that pregnancy, not so buyers can try to squeeze multiple foals out of the delivery.

Quaterback has been very good for me with 75% success with one dose. Love those babies too.
    Cindy Bergmann
    Canterbury Court
    559-903-4814
    www.canterbury-court.com

This thread is why we employ a one dose one pregnancy clause. We ship adequate frozen in straws to give a great chance to get that pregnancy, not so buyers can try to squeeze multiple foals out of the delivery

I am quite confident that for most breeders using frozen semen there have been MANY more instances of no pregnancies vs pregnancies achieved on split doses. If you are so offended by a mare owner "trying to squeeze multiple foals out of a dose" then you should offer a LFG. When we buy frozen semen without a LFG, we are the ones taking a risk. The stallion owner risks nothing and gets paid regardless of whether we get a pregnancy or not. We spend thousands on vet bills and often the same on semen that is terrible no matter how many straws to sometimes get a pregnancy. God forbid our risk taking pays off once in a while.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by silvia View Post
    This thread is why we employ a one dose one pregnancy clause. We ship adequate frozen in straws to give a great chance to get that pregnancy, not so buyers can try to squeeze multiple foals out of the delivery.
    And this sort of viewpoint is why I will never purchase frozen semen where I am dictated what I can do with it.
    What sort of provisions do you give your clients that do not get a pregnancy or live foal? There is plenty more chance for no pregnancy than multiples, and its not like trying is free or cheap.
    If you received a fair price for the dose of semen, you are coming out ahead.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by silvia View Post
    Um, when I split doses I am not violating any contract agreement. If I buy a one/dose=one/pregnancy breeding then I honor that contract. However, when I buy doses that do not prohibit me from splitting them then I do as I like with them.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Ditto what sixpound and donella said.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses

When I offered Boleem's frozen semen years back I offered a LFG and did not offer the "buying by the dose option", as I do now.

In the case of the LFG contract, unused straws were to be returned (for my own "stash" -- not to be sent out again to anyone else). And I have plenty of them, as seldom was the full dose needed for pregnancies.

So he was/is also a "high performer" in the frozen semen department as well.

I've just done a couple of ET's using desperados. First cycle was the first time the vet had used him, so she used a full dose (4 straws) for one embryo. Second round she only used one straw and we were very happy we got another embryo. Both have initially taken in the recipients but we are still waiting for the 45 day tests. Very happy with the job the semen has done so far though!

Has anyone split a dose of Furst Romancier? I am thinking of using him this year and since it sounds like he has quality semen was debating whether to try splitting a dose...
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

Gosh that is good news RE Desperados! Cindy, the FR is really, really good semen. How many straws per dose?
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post

In the case of the LFG contract, unused straws were to be returned (for my own "stash" -- not to be sent out again to anyone else). And I have plenty of them, as seldom was the full dose needed for pregnancies.
    This is a bit off topic, but I'm curious. When a SO offers a live foal guarantee and requires unused straws to be returned, is it the MO's responsibility to pay rental and shipping on a dry shipper for that?
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses

Here is my list of boys I have used and i have also looked at them under the microscope.
    One dose - one pregnancy
    All were good and got my mares in foal with one dose. * means they were super sperm
    Popeye K *
    Jupiter*
    Alla Czar
    Balou du Rouet*
    Corland
    Good times*
    Rotspon*
    Voltaire - depends on collection date
    For Pleasure
    Escudo 1*
    indoctro*
    Prestige VDL