The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for Barn--NC

Hi, I just moved up to NC from South Florida, and am having a difficult time finding a barn to ride at. I have contacted a few tack stores (in Florida that is the only way to find barns at all-through the tack store workers) with not so much luck. I am attending NCSU in Raleigh MWF this semester and live in Greensboro, so my range is pretty large since if it is closer to Raleigh I could ride when I am up there already. Here is a little about myself which may help narrow down what I need:

I am 22 years old, female, with a B.S. in Neuroscience from FAU, and am currently in the process of applying to the Masters of Accounting program at NCSU which I will do while applying to Medical School. I started taking lessons weekly when I was 8, and continued riding at that barn until I moved just last week. My parents, being divorced, never had the money to allow me to own a horse, or lease, or show, or take more than a lesson a week, so from the beginning I had to work to get rides. I have done everything from barn work, vet care, grooming, teaching lessons, warming up horses, retraining off the track TBs, retraining ill-mannared horses, starting horses, etc. I always was that person in the barn to get on the horse that bucked off the little kid during the lesson, or stopped in front of the jump. I was given the horses no one else wanted to ride or do anything with honestly, and I would turn them around. I love challenges, and I haven't found a horse I couldn't help. I have also worked with many different trainers and have worked jump crew at WEF in Wellington, FL. Yet, I haven't taken a real lesson since I was..16? Since then the weekly "lessons" have consisted of another trainer watching the progress of the current horse I was working on. I am not an equitation rider, since I have always been given challenging horses or client's horses that needed to be properly schooled, my philosophy was to make the horse look good, and I haven't had the opportunity to focus on my equitation in years (aka, I have a slight "trainers slouch").

What I am looking for is a barn I can work at as a working student, doing lessons, or barn work, or retraining, or grooming, or whatever. I am originally from a Hunter barn, and during high school ventured out into the Hunter/Jumper and Jumper world as well as basic dressage. I would be open to any type of barn. I would love to learn some more dressage in the future when I find a job that will allow me to have the money for lessons, as well as learn eventing.

So, if anyone knows of any barns around the area, or working opportunities, please let me know. I am hard working and eager to learn, so I am willing to work doing whatever is available.

Thanks!

Kaitlyn Biss

kaitlynbiss@aol.com
    ktbiss@ncsu.edu
    Last edited by kbiss; Jan. 9, 2013 at 05:48 PM.

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

check out the NCHJA group on Facebook. I just saw where someone was looking for a H/J assistant in Knightdale. and I have a friend that post on there towardds the end of Dec. looking to lease her gelding, not sure if you could work off board or not.
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

Crazy4aOTTB:

I don't have a Facebook.. is there any other way I can view that page?

Thanks!

Kaitlyn

Can you do ponies?

pm me me your email address and I will copy and paste the info into an email tonight. I can't get on face book from my computer at work and the PM function is covered up by ads on COTH at my work computer
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

Default Not an Ad!

this is not an ad. just reposting here b/c my browser is super old and I can't use the PM function due to ads covering up PM functionality.

H/J assistant listed as follows

Requirements:
    - Assist MWF (usually early afternoons) and some weekends when there are horse shows.
    - Be able to at least w/t/c confidently (would prefer if you can also jump small courses)
    - Be reliable and organized.

Job duties
    - catch horses in flield
    - groom, tack, untack
    - occasionally help with training rides
    - sweep and tidy the barn
    - clean tack
    -bathe / clip prep for shows

In return

- one free lesson per week, could also become a training apprenticeship. possible future opportunities to show and earn $

name listed was Susy her email is susy_shearer@hotmail.com

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

PM sent - didn't want to advertise!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Finzean,

I am 5'4, so I think I am a little too big for the ponies, unless it was a large pony..

Kaitlyn

Crazy4aOTTB,

could you send me the original link to her add please, I need to see the location and such.

Thanks!

Kaitlyn

At 5'4", you could probably ride some bigger-bodied mediums too!

1 members found this post helpful.

PaintedHunter,

Probably, as long as they aren't on the smaller side, I am not a stick unfortunately! If I was I could ride anything! [=

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    At 5'4", you could probably ride some bigger-bodied mediums too!
    kbiss - you could def ride my daughter's medium. He's a tank - truly. She's 5'5" and she does dressage with him but he rides/drives/jumps...one of those all arounders. Plus I've got a sm junior Connie X mare - several other hides but these two are easy and I can't get everyone ridden with the new horse. They're in the "back yard" -nice facilities but not a fancy AA situation. If you strike out with what you're looking for, we are between GSO & Raleigh in Pettycoat Junction. I'm 1 hour and change from NCSU. PM me if you run out of 1st choice options. We could likely work something out where you'd have stuff to ride.