The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Door Latches? Hah!!

Meet the queen of unlocking door latches.

http://youtu.be/o5snVfeb_Kw
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

1 members found this post helpful.

Haha, she's fantastic!!!

Big old fat naughty mare!!!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

OMG! What a talented set of lips she's got!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

LOL! I would NOT want her on my farm! I can't believe all the different stuff she can open!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

What a stinker.

I boarded with a snowflake app gelding, Mooch, who loved to use those lips to cause all kindsa trouble. He'd let himself out of his stall and then spring his buddy, TJ. He'd turn the light on, off, on, off, on, off etc alllll night long.

Every stall door had to be secured with a bull-snap clip below or above where those lips could reach and the light switch was enclosed in a few pieces of wood.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

She does know exactly what she is doing.

We had two old horses, in their 20's, that were just as handy, one could open round door knobs, the other snaps and knew not to make their move until all humans were out of sight.

locks with chains is the only way we can keep them in... but the other locks/latches are cheaper than stall toys

mare at a barn i used to ride at could undo snaphooks too. yes, she was an arab.

My Bluey (OTTB) could pick latches, snaps and carabiners. When he was on stall rest, he had the latch, a snap, a carabiner and a chain with a snap where he couldn't reach it and tight enough that he couldn't pull it towards him.

He was a stitch when he'd escape. You could see him slowly walking out of the barn...he'd look left and right to make the coast was clear.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I love how in the first part of the video she stops and then walks right past the horse in the stall right next to her and lets 2 others out...she must not like that one.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceWife View Post
    I love how in the first part of the video she stops and then walks right past the horse in the stall right next to her and lets 2 others out...she must not like that one.
    I loved that too! She didn't even stop to consider it!

At our old farm there was a door from the tack room that let out into the paddock. My Appendix gelding used to turn the door knob - a regular, round human door knob - open the door, and climb the stairs to steal carrots. Our stalls had bars on the aisle side but he'd wiggle his door back and forth until he worked the latch up, then he'd go down the aisle and let the other 6 or 7 horses out and they'd go for a romp in the indoor. Thank goodness the whole thing was enclosed and everyone got along! We had to make sure to clip him in. He's almost 30 now and not as hell bent on escaping but I still clip the stall juuuuuust in case

When my old horse was 30, he could tell if you snapped the chain or not and if you didn't, he would slip over to the gate and when you were not looking, get the chain off and get out into the yard and have his fun there.
    He didn't care if he had company, would go alone.
    I would let him have his fun and later get him back and snap it.

She's adorable. Love a smart horse.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceWife View Post
    I was wondering how she chose who to let out (her friends & slow eaters) & who to leave in

Yes, she knows what she is doing! I second the fat, naughty mare comment!

I do love that every time I hear about Houdini horse (or dog) it involves them jail-breaking their buds.

Hilarious! I've never seen a horse deliberately have a plan of attack and quickly yet calmly open so many different latches. Then she snooted open the freezer as if some carrots were hiding in there or something. A Houdini for sure! Very funny, thanks for sharing the video. I enjoyed watching it a lot.