The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Calories burned trimming hooves-my fitness pal

...anyone have an educated answer or extrapolation?

DH and are doing My Fitness Pal (awesome tool for weight loss support and tracking, for those who haven't heard of it)

I'm trying to come up with an approximate calorie count, or comparison to a more mundane activity that has calorie output recorded somewhere. I know there's a huge fluctuation- big difference in trimming a light horse hoof during a rainy season than a draft hoof in a draught-and lets not even get into behavioral factors lol

It is my most exertional (is that a word?) activity, above and beyond galloping sets or grids w/o stirrups, and by golly, I wanna get caloric credit for it!!!!!
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Is there a "light carpentry" or "woodworking" category in MFP? I sorta see those two and smithy/farrier work as being related in range-of-motion and weight bearing ranges.

1 members found this post helpful.

Can you invest in a heart rate monitor? That might give you a good idea. I want one, but they are a bit on the pricey side!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

2 members found this post helpful.

No idea, sorry. I noticed they are giving me credit for more calories burned for riding at the trot for 30 minutes than they are for 60 minutes of yoga. Uh, no.

Yeah, lots of variables for sure in their calculations, Laurierace. I've taken yoga classes that barely burn more calories than breathing, and classes that probably use up a 600 man's daily allowance in an hour! Glad for MFP's manual entry option. (Thanks too for giving that filly in TX the turnout sheet-I don't think my blanket would be waterproof w/the patches!)

Thanks VaqueroToro for the suggestion! I hadn't thought of that one.

Superminion-DH is currently in love with the idea of a HRM. I'm with you-the good ones seem pricey!
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Maybe use a combination of Pilates and yoga (double enter your time)- you have to hold that posisition with the additon of horsey behaviour to provide the resistance. I find that my abs have been really toned since I started doing farrier work, and that 11 badly behaved mini donkeys in a morning is a better but toner then squats and lunges.