The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Have you tested for Lyme? It can make them really sensitive about being groomed.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Selenium. Magnesium.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I'm not sure if my area is deficient in selenium or not, I'll start researching that tonight.
    He is never stalled. He has access to hay at all times, but all that grows in this area is coastal bermuda. It costs a ridiculous amount to get a truck of anything better down here, and we use round bales instead of square bales. I generally don't like round bales, but luckily none of the horses at the barn stand there and eat all day.
    She tried doing as I suggested with approaching him when it's not feeding time. She said that he was fine, didn't pin his ears as she walked up to him, she didn't try to touch him, just talked to him then walked away. Usually she tries to baby all the horses (drives me nuts) so I'm thinking he is really taking advantage of her, and the hating being touched makes it worse.
    I'm unsure if it's just a TB thing. I've had 2 other TB geldings at that same barn and they are both cuddle bugs. They're also a lot younger though. I've also had 2 TB mares a few years ago who liked attention and being petted. I just call my old guy grumpy and anti-social lol.

I agree with Danged Arab on the MagRestore. I have a mule that was very pissy about me brushing her, particularly on her back. I had her checked out chiropractically and massaged, but what really did it was the Magnesium. She was fine if you just laid a hand on her, but she hated you petting or brushing her, just very hypersensitive. Performance Equine has a 10 day trial size that you can put them on to see if they are deficient in Magnesium. It is cheap, and you can tell in that time if it fixes the problem or not. The area where I live the soil and water is very low in magnesium, and if you look at most supplements, they don't have much in them. Some horses don't seem affected much by a lack of it, but I have a couple that made big turnarounds after putting them on the magnesium.

I'd either test for Mg/Se etc or just supplement (doesn't sound like he's on anything) - if he's from an area that is Se deficient, it takes a surprising amount to bring the levels up, so don't assume he can't be deficient just because your local grass/hay is fine.

If you can find someone to do bodywork, he'd likely appreciate it (once he's over the shock).

I'd treat for ulcers again - unless he scoped clean - they are just so prevalent in TB's (& maybe other breeds, but TB's are participating in all the studies ...)

You might try him on a supplement such as Recovery EQ HA - some horses do very well on it, others, seem to have no response (of course you could also have your vet do an Adequan etc series).
    (I assume you've ruled out feet issues)

In other words, until proven otherwise, I'd assume his demeanor is pain related rather than "born grumpy".

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Have you tested for Lyme? It can make them really sensitive about being groomed.
    My first thought, too.

It's one thing for a horse not to like being groomed - my TB mare is sensitive and only a soft brush will suffice. Metal shedding blade? No way! My paint mare loves the thing.

But for the behavior to change - I'd look for a cause. Don't know about selenium or magnesium as being a cause but Lyme is often associated with sensitivity and/or body soreness. For only an $80 titre it's worth checking.

I recently acquired a 22 yr. old OTTB...he has very thin skin, and like the OP's horse, will bite at crossties, and will come unglued during grooming time...I swear I did some research on this, and i read an article that explained why alot of OTTB's are "thin" skinned...supposedly the groom would vigerously (and painfully) brush the racehorses to stimulate bloodflow or something like that? I don't remember where I read that...

can a megnesium deficiency cause ulcer-like symptoms? Like losing appetite & water consumption decrease? irritability? Anxiety?

I ask because my mare did have ulcers and we did treat them successfully (confirmed with scope) but she contnued to have the irritability factor. This fall, she started getting food-picky adn drinking less, so i started her on the pop rocks. Still doing them actually.Evne though she is back on feed, she is still extremely irritable. I'm wondering if its not something in conjunction with ulcers that I haven't explored because I've been blaming the ulcers.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Interestingly enough... Boy would tolerate the (metal) curry comb better than the soft horse hair brush. I think it tickles him and in the winter it's because of static electricity.
    Last edited by BoyleHeightsKid; Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    can a megnesium deficiency cause ulcer-like symptoms? Like losing appetite & water consumption decrease? irritability? Anxiety?

I ask because my mare did have ulcers and we did treat them successfully (confirmed with scope) but she contnued to have the irritability factor. This fall, she started getting food-picky adn drinking less, so i started her on the pop rocks. Still doing them actually.Evne though she is back on feed, she is still extremely irritable. I'm wondering if its not something in conjunction with ulcers that I haven't explored because I've been blaming the ulcers.
    (Copied and pasted from Performance EQ)
    Signs that may indicate a shortfall:

Very tight, sore back not related to activity, fitness level or saddle fit
    Horse never really relaxes

Cranky about being brushed or palpated especially over the back on either side of the spine

Cranky about being blanketed

History of tying up

Muscle tremors or all over trembling not related to outside temperature

Requires long periods of lunging before being able to focus on work

Does not tolerate work well and works up, not down

Bucks shortly after workout begins, seems fine at first then bucks or balks

Would be described as 'thin skinned' or hypersensitive to touch

Chiropractic adjustments, massage and body work do not have lasting effects

Has difficulty getting round or picking his back up under saddle, moves hollow

Difficulty focusing on work, poor work ethic

Can't be still, repetitive movement, weaving, pacing, head bobbing
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"