The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Prestige Eventer/Nona- New Question see post #12

So I sold my Devoucoux Chiberta and am now on the hunt for a new saddle. I've found the following:
    17" Prestige Nona Garson black tree set at 33/34 (stamped 32) store thinks it's wool flocked (need to confirm) Cons: would need to have long billets put on it and seat size is not ideal but according to vto I read the 17 rides like a 17.5 which I could probably be OK with.
    17" Prestige Eventer black 34 tree with long billets Cons: again seat size and is foam flocked not wool.
    Other option is Barnsby Diablo which I can get in 17.5 with Med tree or 18 with wide tree. NEW with wool flocking at almost $700 off regular price (essentially the same as the used saddles above) Cons: short billets (again would have these changed) and tobacco color (really wanting black tack).
    I've sat in a used Nona before and liked it quite well just sitting on the fake horse at the tack store, definitely seemed forward enough. Based on previous saddle ownership which one would you guys suggest? I'll add that I've sat in a number of black country saddles and do not like them. I do not own but current ride is Appendix that leans toward round... probably a medwide for tree ideally. Next horse I own would more than likely be OTTB.
    Last edited by CarolinaGirl; Jan. 10, 2013 at 05:06 PM.

Why do you have to change the billets? I wouldn't really put that on the list of deal-killers, but that's me. I have never noticed girth buckles under my leg.

I have the Prestige Eventer and I really like it. It is less confining than the Diablo (tried that one), and a slightly more upright balance than "back seat" - I consider the Ainsley Chester to be 'back seat', and the Diablo is a little between the 2 but definitely locks you in more than either of those.

Can't comment on the Nona but I thought that was more jumper-y?

The Prestige I own has been through the equivalent of Noah's flood over the years and it's showing some wear now, but still in great shape.

Fits a variety of horses and they really seem to be comfortable in it - yes it's foam and the horses still like it. You can do some lower level flatwork in it just fine, too. I am not sure about the Diablo. I only tried it a couple of times. The Eventer has velcro blocks so you can move them or take them out completely for a close contact saddle.

I've been riding in monoflaps for years now and just don't like having buckles under my legs now. The Nona also has front and rear blocks (although not adjustable), this particular one is also made with a forward flap. Honestly going back and forth between the photos they don't look that different lol. I wish I had a big saddle place locally... attempting to make the best choice possible so I don't lose a ton of money shipping saddles back and forth. I had the chiberta and currently ride in a Godignon monoflap both with flatter seats and room to move around so it sounds like the diablo holds you a but more, which I don't really want.

I had the Nona Garson and LOVED it! Definitely was never bothered by the short billets and the saddle was great for my position. Didn't like where a friend's Prestige Eventer put me. If I could do it again, I would get another Nona Garson.
    Please visit the Donate page!

https://justworldeventer.squarespace.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    So I sold my Devoucoux Chiberta and am now on the hunt for a new saddle. I've found the following:
    17" Prestige Nona Garson black tree set at 33/34 (stamped 32) store thinks it's wool flocked (need to confirm) Cons: would need to have long billets put on it and seat size is not ideal but according to vto I read the 17 rides like a 17.5 which I could probably be OK with.
    This was not my experience with the Nona. I am 5'7" and a little long hip-to-knee. With my stirrups up for jumping, I needed every bit of an 18". Otherwise, I found myself in the backseat (not on purpose), forced awkwardly behind the deepest part of the seat on the upslope to the cantle. I usually ride in a 17.5" in other brands. The Nona was my former trainer's; I loved riding in it. Balanced, grippy leather, well suited to my build.

The Prestige and the Barnsby Diablo are very different saddles in style and where they put you. Have you sat in them to compare? I love the Eventer but need an 18 in order to have the flap forward enough. (I'm 5'3" but like a lot of eventers, have a very long femur). I've also sat in the other two and like the N.G. more than the Diablo but that's because I found the Diablo to be too deep/restrictive.

The perfect saddle for me is the Chiberta. LOVE it! It only fits one of my horses but I can pad it up to fit the others.

Anything prestige is amazing. I have the prestige Paris that I absolutely love but I have ridden TONS in the eventer and honesty it is one of the best saddles I have ever ridden in and used. The 17's are much bigger than a normal 17. I would say it goes normally like a bigger 17.5

Pretty sure I'm gonna try out the Nona depending on final details I get on it. Followed by the Eventer. It doesn't sound like I'd like the diablo based on the posts here.

I been in them all.

I can't ride in the Diablo. It's a chair seat type of saddle and I'm a very upright rider. Those chair seat type balance saddles make me lay on my horse's neck.

I need 18" seats. I'm 6' tall with a wicked inseam. My eventer is a 17" and has the 1st option for forward flap. (though I probably need the 2nd option)

The Nona will be basically the same--most Prestige jumping saddles have the same balance points. I like the ability to move blocks.

Also, I prefer foam. Good quality foam is just as good as wool--it just needs to fit since you can't adjust it. But if it fits, it's a wool beater.

It should only be about 100 bucks to swap out the billets. I"m with you. Long billets please!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Ummmmm, from four years of saddle wars, I will just say -- buy what fits your horse best.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Ummmmm, from four years of saddle wars, I will just say -- buy what fits your horse best.
    This.

The only reason I had to part with my Nona Garson was to get a saddle that was a better fit for the grumpy horse. Ended up with a Chiberta, love it more. But if you are having to choose between those three that you listed, my experience with the Nona Garson was wonderful!
    Best of luck! Saddle fitting can suck
    Please visit the Donate page!

https://justworldeventer.squarespace.com

Are all the foam flocked Eventers the latex foam? I notice the options on their site are either wool flocked OR latex foam (regular or SF concept latex). I confirmed with one seller that the foam in the saddle they are selling is latex foam, but others I've asked aren't sure.

I have the prestige eventer in an 18" seat and a 6+ flap which is the most foreword, which unlike almost all saddles, actually fits my leg. I love it. I'm 5'11 with a super long inseam and a monster long femur.

Its three years old and I have the patterned leather and the calf knee/seat which is grippy and wears like iron. I don't mind the double flap, its pretty close contact.

Its not exactly comfortable. Honestly after conditioning five/six horses in the saddle in one day, I am not exactly happy about sitting in it. You leg though is cemented in that saddle. Its so secure, so I am fine giving up comfort for security.

EDIT

I am editing to add that mine is foam. I was skeptical, but the foam is worked great for me and I have met the 1st horse it doesnt fit well with my TB. Hopefully the fitter can help me.
    Last edited by FLeventer; Jan. 11, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.