The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Johnson View Post
    Humorous post. I'd like to meet more of your typical warmbloods. Those that I have the misfortune of handling from time to time list out like:

1.) Flip the Hell out when you turn on a pair of clippers.
    2.) Step on your foot and don't move.
    3.) If you think you're giving me a shot, think again.
    4.) Lather/Rinse/Repeat on the lack of personal-space respect.
    5.) Abuse power. (See 2, 3, 4 above.)
    6.) Dominate the NQR category.
    7.) Eat you out of house and home, then pay you back with time penalties.
    I have certainly handled and ridden some like this, but I would add my biggest complaint:

8) OMG I cannot go into that corner of the ring that I have been trained in for the past 4 years. It's SCARY. (leaping/rearing/spinning to follow)

I have actually enjoyed riding some F2 "WB" sport horses, i.e. TB crossed on a WBx, QHx, Cleveland Bayx; or WB crossed on a draft/TB. I have found that adding some non-WB or TB blood has generally made for nice easy-going all-around up to Prelim/Intermediate horses. Not our future superstars... but great horses for the other 80% of eventers.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    I have certainly handled and ridden some like this, but I would add my biggest complaint:

8) OMG I cannot go into that corner of the ring that I have been trained in for the past 4 years. It's SCARY. (leaping/rearing/spinning to follow)

Yeah...but I've ridden a few TBs that ALSO fit both lists. Really...those sort of generaliztions never really work. There are spooky or crappy handled horses of all breeds. Meanest one I've ever known was a draft cross...doesn't mean all draft crosses are dangerous and crappy. The one horse with the biggest screw loose was a TB (dumping his jockey and jumping a 7 foot chain link fence should have been a clue that something wasn't wired right---shame, all the athletic ability in the world but no mind). Hasn't stopped me for owning several OTTBs...and my nicest most sane one to ride right now is a chestnut mare OTTB!

Horses are individuals---you will find lovely TBs and lovely WBs and crosses. I personally have a TYPE of horse that I like to ride...and have found that type in many horses with extremely different pedigrees. But when I see my "type"...I do what I can to learn about that individual horse so it will help me be more likely to breed that type.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post

Oh, you've met my 18+ year old OTTB? He's done 5 long format three days at the one and two star level, gone Advanced, done more than 75 career events including more than 60 at Prelim or above, and he still can be counted on to run sideways and spin given any provocation whatsoever (and sometimes without a reason beyond sheer fitness). I'd still rather canter down to a big solid fence on him versus just about any other horse I've sat on.

Horses will be horses, and you ride the one before you, not the pedigree. End of the day, though, if you're breeding, I think there's likely a much higher probability of getting something that's resellable if it's a quality sportbred, with parents that produce consistent offspring. Not saying there's not nice OTTBs, just that if I'm breeding for sport, I'm going to look to sport bloodlines, not bloodlines designed to produce a very fast 2 year old sprinter.

Either way, I still don't think the initial criticism of the magazine is valid.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    Wits End. Do you have the stats for the 76% of winners that were something other than TB?
    We don't track breed in our data. We have specific lines we like to see but many are available in various permutations through many different registries so we don't breed for a specific registry/breed.

Most of my past 40+ years have been spent in the company of horse breeders. Ranch QH, Racing QH, Sport-Horse TB mainly for Eventing and those folks who have a mare and/or a stallion. Several common threads from all of these folks:
    The 'breeders' tended to have really good stock and as a result nice foals
    They all had problems maintaining someone to work with and start the horses
    Two farms used their very talented children to start the horses - of
    course the kids eventually married and lacked time for the farm.
    It is hard to sell stock that is either not started or has minimum work

As a rule people don't want to buy horses at their own barn or in their own 'backyard.' Don't know if it is more 'sexy' to buy from another area or state or even another country. This is true even when the trainer is breeding proven horses that were competitive at Prelim and up.

Things we should 'steal' from the Europeans and in some cases the US Western horse breeders:
    Value those who know how to properly start a horse
    Train as many people as possible on how to properly start a horse.
    Watched a show on RFD-TV from a Wyoming Ranch. Older cowboy walked about 20 young cowboys through starting a group of 2-3 year olds. The horses were all started and worked at the same time, facing the same 'monsters' and terrain together. Not THE answer for English sports, but something we should look at and draw from. Especially since these very nice young horses are available for a very reasonable price - horses that WTC over Wyoming terrain. They also sell 4-6 YO horses that have done ranch work for a couple of years. Some of these would make great kid, husband, school, hunt and yes event horses.

* "We", in the US, must figure out how to market our horses. There are folks out there with proven lines, very nice foals, but very few buyers.
    * "We", in the US, need to promote those who are good at starting young horses. You and I all know at least one local person who does a great job. But they are not 'valued' like the person who is riding at the upper levels. I really like how Bruce recognized the person who is starting horses on his farm.
    "We, in the US, need to value and support our own breeders instead of looking overseas.

Retread - I didn't get the same vib from the USEA mag as you. The articles I have read so far, seem to be fairly level - presenting their own opinion. I don't totally agree, but was not offended as a minion of a soon to be 34 YO TB Chesnut Sport Horse Mare.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I gues what I should do is grab an OTTB and make my own hip brand. They cann be Flloridian Warmbloods and I can ask triple the price. I mean honestly, how many people lift up the lip?

I am being sarcastic FYI.

But, looking at the wbs today, they are getting finer and finer. Half of the ones I see look like TBs. They seem to have just enough WB blood (20% to 10%) to get a brand on the hip and get a bit more in the movement department. Its just enough to knock the Tbs out of the top spot because they are better in this short format.

Do not get me wrong, I love my TBs, but their time is ending in the face of the ten percent warmbloods. Also, compare the TBs from 30 years ago to TBs today. The stock is no longer as high quality IMO. If I see a TB without Mr. P, I am amazed which just kills me. Stallions are retiring at 3 to go to stud with 10 races under thier belt, which makes it tough when looking for a sturdy tb that will event on top of its already tough racing years. The TBs are not on the incline in quality, which may be turned around if the JC allowed shipped semen, which is not happening soon if at all.

Ehhh, eventing has changed a lot in 20 years, and when these foals today retire in 20 years (hopefully) it could be a whole nother ball game.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.