The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I don't *think* they're bird catcher spots but....what are they??

A boarder at my farm has a grey horse, who has greyed out and is now mostly white in color, slightly flea bitten on his shoulders. He has started getting these pink spots all over his body.

At first you could only see them when he was really wet. Now you can pretty much see them all the time. I just body clipped him for her and was surprised to see them again, because they used to only show up in the summer, and then go away in the winter even when he was clipped. They range in size from a nickel to a quarter.

She had assumed that they were birdcatcher spots, but in my research, I haven't been able to find anything about grey horses with pink spots (as in his skin is pink, instead of black in these spots). It's like a loss of pigmentation in polka dot form. Birdcatcher spots seem to be more of the hair turning white in spots, not necessarily the skin (I could be wrong though).

Has anyone seen this before?

Just FYI: He is warmblood and tb.
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

If they're small enough to be birdcatcher spots, they probably are--is the horse a base chestnut? Horses with birdcatcher spots, if I'm not mistaken, do have pink skin underneath.
    Click here before you buy.

Nope, everywhere else his skin is black. He was born black, not rose grey from the pictures i've seen of him as a foal and has slowly turned from black, to dapple grey, to grey, to flea-bitten, and now flea bitten and polka dotted.
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

does it look anything like this? Depigmentation?

http://equinetapestry.com/2011/08/02...tion-on-greys/

The depigmentation issue is far more likely to be the case with a gray

Quote Originally Posted by msbrown246 View Post
    does it look anything like this? Depigmentation?

http://equinetapestry.com/2011/08/02...tion-on-greys/
    YES! That is exactly it! Finally! Should she be worried about this? Does it create any health concerns? We assumed it was from the sun, since they seemed to mostly appear in the summer so we were going nuts keeping him in out of the sun and always using a fly sheet and fly mask. Now I'm thinking that maybe they were just more apparent in the summer because his coat is shorter. Any link to depigmentation and melanoma?
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

No health issues

Melanomas associated with gray horses IS because of the depigmentation process Or at least that's the very, very strong theory. Just not quite in the context of this type of skin depigmentation.

The removal of the pigment from the hair doesn't mean it's just gone - it's just gone from the hair. It moves into the skin, and that's when and where the melanomas can start.