The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CO 4star helmet, anyone have it??

I love my Ovation, but I find myself wanting a little more protection. (I decided this today when the bitchy baby I was riding suddenly decided to try and throw herself up and to the right, and I thought we were going over)

I have yet to find a helmet that doesn't make me look completely ridiculous, so I've pretty much given up on that idea. I think the only helmet that acceptable in the looks department was my old Troxel. Anyway, I digress.

Anyone have this helmet? I'd like to try it. The reviews on Smartpak say its bulky, but to me, after the Ovation, all helmets are bulky. The other one I'm looking at is the CO UltraLite. Opinions appreciated!

I saw one recently at a local tack shop. I thought it looked awesome until I tried it on. To be honest, they did not have one small enough for me, but it did seem (for me) too round and bulky.

I would like to try one in the right size, but right now it seems CO is not making the smaller sizes.

I have one! As I ride more and more horses I figure my chances for a fall become higher as well. I'm a bit OCD about potential head injuries. So, I bought the 4 star. I wear a 6 7/8, it fits well. I don't find it any heavier than my other CO Jockey skull or GR8, but in the mirror it looks slightly bigger in profile. I figured for a better chance at brain protection I could live with it. Who's going to notice anyhow as I fly by on cross country?

I got one on sale for Xmas. It looks big, but is very comfortable - , not heavy and I actually want to wear it vs my superlight troxel....

I tried one on at the convention this year and loved it!! It was great to hear the CO spokesperson talk about the new technology that went into making this helmet - I was sold immediately and don't mind a little extra bulk.

It's on my Rolex shopping list

Thanks! Going to a bulky helmet is going to be hard. LOVE my low-profile Ovation. I think I'll still wear it for dressage though.

I do hope they have my size, which I can't remember now. I have a small head! Does it fit very differently than the GR8?

Just checked the Charles Owen website, looks like 6 7/8 is the smallest right now for the 4star.

Wonder why they don't make them in smaller sizes?

I think they only got all of the safety approvals for the medium sizes. Eventually, they will probably get the smaller and bigger sizes approved.