The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Jingles For my Horse *Vet Update Post 35*

My horse was kicked in the knee today out in the pasture . His knee is big and swollen. He's weight bearing and can walk on it, however he is limping. The vet (the vet I really like and trust) is coming out tomorrow to tell us what we are looking at. We iced it, buted him (normally not something to do before the vet comes, but since we know what it is, just not how bad it is, and the swelling was most likely causing my horse a lot of discomfort we decided to bute), wrapped his lower legs and sweated his knee. Praying it's not career ending and that my boy will be happy and healthy again in less than a week. Hope the vet has good news for me.
    Last edited by The Alternate; Jan. 16, 2013 at 04:29 PM.

Lotsa of jingles, big Texas-sized ones!

ouch! Big big jingles for your boy. Hope it is not to serious. Keep us updated please!

P.

Sending jingles. Sorry - hope it's ok soon!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Jingling!
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Same thing happened to my horse last year. I just knew it was broken, but he was (and is) fine. Nothing wrong with ice, and bute the day before you vet comes. I know they sometimes don't want pain meds in a horse they're checking for colic, but injury is a whole different story.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Poor guy! Jingles jingles jingles, hopefully he will just be sore for a while and heal up just fine.

Jingles.

Jingles.

Worst day of my life was when I called the horses in to be fed and all came up except for my favorite mare. She would not walk up from the pasture, it literally took us over an hour to get to the barn. We found out that she was kicked in the hock through the fence and she ended up with a fracture. . After a year of stall rest, rehab, bute, etc, she was sound enough as a trail horse. It ended her career as a show horse, but she is making a little girl happy now.

Thanks guys! Great news! The vet just saw him and thinks that it's only a bit of bruising/soft tissue damage. He believes he should be back to normal in about 5 days! He said we could X-ray but if it was his horse he wouldn't. My horse was remarkably improved today from yesterday. Swelling was way down and he was walking LOADS better. Almost normal! We're gonna sweat it once more, bute for a few days, and keep him in a stall/ paddock situation till he's totally healed. 5-6 days rest and as long as his knee looks normal and he's moving fine we can start riding him. Lightly for a few days then work our way up to full work. Of course if he isn't 100% vet will come back out but the vet really thinks it will be fine!

2 members found this post helpful.

Just a bump for those that gave us jingles!

Great news, continued jingles for a speedy recovery

Yay! Good to hear!

P.

Thanks guys! So totally relieved. I was just getting ready to really start legging him up for show season, I had clipped him literally the DAY before he got injured so I could work him good without him getting too sweaty to go back out in the cold! Silly pony!

Sigh, I just hopped on my horse for his first ride after his injury today. Just a light walk trot ride to start off with. His knee was looking SO much better. Still just a TINY bit thicker than his other knee. He seemed to be walking fine in hand, walking a head of me instead of dragging behind like the first day.
    Hopped on him and walked him. THought maybe he felt slightly funny but he was being forward and spooky due to his time off, so I thought that's why he felt a little different. One step of trot and it was all over. He was nearly fall over lame
    Vet is coming tomorrow to do x-rays. Still praying it's just really bad bruising that needs longer to heal but with how lame he was, I am very worried. Need loads more jingles.

Best luck tomorrow.
    Don't worry too much until you have something definite to worry about.
    Right now, heck, it could be anything, even something that can be fixed.
    Vets can do wonderful things today.

Jingles for a good report.

Jingles for your boy! Hoping he just needs more time.

Jingles from VA - hope you get some good news!
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Hope to hear good news tomorrow.