The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Costco is coming to Lexington, KY woohoo! And as a bonus, they pay their employees well, no Walmart slave wages.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Everyone working at the Costcos I've been to seems very happy and boy oh boy are their ringers MASTERS at being fast and effective. Do they pay higher-than-normal wages? The overall enviornment there is really noticeably different in terms of how happy the employees seem to be.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Everyone working at the Costcos I've been to seems very happy and boy oh boy are their ringers MASTERS at being fast and effective. Do they pay higher-than-normal wages? The overall enviornment there is really noticeably different in terms of how happy the employees seem to be.
    Yes, here's an article comparing them to Sam's Club...higher wages, much lower turnover, happier employees and higher sales per square foot.

http://addictedtocostco.com/2011/12/06/costcos-secret-weapon-better-salaries-benefits/

The NYTimes calls them the anti-Walmart
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Costco rocks. Among other horse related purchases...

-Vitamin E capsules in bulk

-Huge bag of Wintergeen mints

-2 week supply of carrots for $7
    You forgot Epsom Salt and Duct Tape!

It's really sad that I don't even have to give the ladies at the Pharmacy counter my name anymore--they just say hello and go get the horse meds. I think they would fall over backwards if they actually saw a script with MY name on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

I *love* Costco. AND I'm so luck that there is one maybe 2 miles from my house. I could walk there if so inclined!!

The $300 carrots are a problem though - I've resorted to quick runs with no buggy to fortify my will power. I also fully admit to loving their 2% cashback cheques that come at the end of December - even with just the two of us (plus the 4 foots) its amazing how it all adds up over the year.

When my horse needed 90 days of antibiotics (yes, 90 days!) I bought them at Costco. Their prices were so much cheaper than my vet or a typical pharmacy could sell them.

I love Costco.

Well, if I got the membership to get the carrots and drove there... even every two weeks, it would cost me more in gas... I stock up when my grocery store has them on sale.
    I have refused to get a membership because it would increase my grocery bill by a lot... plus I prefer helping the smaller local supermarkets.

I prefer shopping local and supporting "mom and pop" operations, too. But Costco is sort of a paragon of "this is how you treat your employees" and that makes me willing to patronize them even though they're kind of far away. (for us, 30 miles)

Having only a family of 3 and being eaters of not much packaged food, however, the logic of going there does not often work out.
    Click here before you buy.

They have the highest rated toilet paper according to Consumer Reports. and I agree, its the best and inexpensive !!

Their eyeglasses are cheap, and rated best quality, in Consumer Reports, too. I got a pair of bifocals for $149, instead of $6-700 from LensCrafters.
    60 Minutes did a segment on why glasses are so expensive. It turns out that all frames are made by the same company in Italy, except for Costco and one other place. Also, all the places like LensCrafters, etc, are owned by that company.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Yeah, 2 weeks' worth of carrots for $7, but who can walk in and out of there and just buy carrots?! When I used to live near one that was a $300 outlay every dang time I walked in there.
    No lie. I used to spend $75 every time, but that was when I first joined. Now, it's closer to $270. There's a reason they put the produce wwwwaaayyyyyy in the back, so you have to pass all the other goodies first - ohhhh look, 3 dozen pairs of tube socks for $5.00!
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Wanted to say Hi! and as a newbie to pay my respect to all of you older members of the forum. Just browsing when i found your forum and seemed worth trying to join...
    We dont have a Costco down here.....considering we are at the other side of the pond.. :-) but frankly caring about Horses and their health issues costs lots of money here too...we ofcourse have good alternative sources for almost everything you guys pay a fortune in US....but its a matter of different policy as in Europe laws about prescriptions and generally medication prices are much more flexible.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Welcome, rainmaker!
    The Evil Chem Prof

We did a Costco run today...$335! DH and I about croaked. BUT, we got lots of goodies.

What REALLY perked my ears up was the giant bottle of Glucosamine HCL + MSM, 1500mg/tablet, for $13. I have been comparing prices and such on feed-thru joint supplements (personally have seen good results in the past), so I grabbed a bottle. I literally *just* ran out of the pure glucosamine I had my boys on, but was paying about $70 for plain ol' GL. Hell, four pills a day (both horses are healthy, I'm aiming for prevention) per horse and I'm still waaay ahead, and getting more for the money. Totally worth the drive!!

Good to know I can get Ranitidine there as well since I'm wanting to do an ulcer test treatment soon. LOVE Costco!

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I just want to know when Deltawave was wearing diapers and how she managed to get out of that phase of her life.

Maybe if delta gets really old, she can relive those glory days of diapers. Keep that membership in good standing, eh?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

A gallon of canned potatoes? A couch? a 30 pack of chapstick
    It's just hubby and I but uh... We totally bought the bulk chapstick lol. Between hubby losing a tube every so often, the cat taking them to who knows where, and the occasional tube lost to the dogs or washer we have actually made quite a dent in the 20pk lol.

I don't have a Costco's near me, but we have what's called BJ's Wholesale Club and its essentially the same thing.

I can get my mare's Ranitidine from there cheaper than I can get it from the vet. The only downside is that the tabs are only 150 mg so I have to feed twice as many to get the same milligrams into her as my 300 mg tabs that I can get from the vet. Lucky for me, I just use my food processor to grind them to a powder, sprinkle on her alfalfa, mix, and she eats it. YAY!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."