The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pinned ears & swishing tail

I was recently watching a video of a horse jumping. Whenever the horse landed from the last fence of a gymnastic, or from a large fence, the horse would pin it's ears, swish it's tail, and sometimes even bring it's neck to the outside a stride or two away from the fence. What could possibly be causing this? It didn't happen on the smaller jumps, around 2', but around the taller ones or the last fence of a gymnastic. I can't link to it or anything as it's not on the internet.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

Sometimes horses can feel a bit fresh and proud of themselves after a good jumping effort. Toss their head, mini buck, put on a face.

Or more likely something is uncomfortable at the bigger heights. Possibly the rider is coming back into the saddle too quickly, or has hit the horse in the mouth, or even that the horse is experiencing some sort of back/saddle pain when making the bigger effort. I don't believe in anthropomorphizing horses as "being proud of a jumping effort". They pin their ears and swish their tails when they are unhappy.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

4 members found this post helpful.

Back or feet would be my guess. That doesn't sound like a comfortable horse. One of the few times my horse has bucked was after leaving a little long to a big oxer and stinging his feet on the landing side (we had put pads on him and apparently they didn't agree).

I do think some horses will play up after an impressive effort or if they are having fun, but the difference in their body language makes it clear.

2 members found this post helpful.

Sounds more like pain than playing up. Could be anything from the rider causing the pain (sitting down hard and too soon) to any bone or muscle in the horse's body . Happy hunting .

Thanks! I was guessing it was some sort of pain or discomfort. It was definitely not a "happy" horse that's for sure. At least on the landing. The rider didn't seem very stable on the landings, kinda popped forward in the saddle onto the horse's neck.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

1 members found this post helpful.

Bingo. Rider flopping around just as the horse lands on his front feet and is trying to balance up and land the back feet is no fun for the horse.

Thats a good example of why many better trainers will not raise the fences until the rider is secure. Consequences of doing it anyway include getting the horse to dread the jump creating anything from bad distances to just stopping to avoid it.

A good many horses deal with an insecure rider - one who opens up the hip too early and comes down on the back hard on landing or one who stiffs it in the mouth to keep their own balance- by simply bucking them off on landing. Especially over bigger fences.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Too many people in h/j land give saddle fit short shrift.

They honestly believe their one saddle fits "everything from 14.1 ponies to 17.3 warmbloods!" .....sigh.

And teeth, don't forget teeth .

Some of them think one saddle fits all humans too...half the pics and vids posted on here for critique involve a rider fighting an ill fitting saddle to stay in postition.

All of these are possibilites but with no pics? Who knows.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.