The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default For those BO's that use boarder horses in lessons in exchange for discounted board...

How is your contract worded to accomodate for such? I have a very extensive contract covering everything else, but as our lesson program is only 2 years old, this is a new situation. We have been discounting board a set amount for using the horse in lessons, but I want it in writing ASAP. Any suggestions?

I do not use boarder horses for lessons and discount board. Too slippery a slope for me.

Don't forget to include the horse owners name on your releases and also have them included on your insurance as an "additional insured" in case a lesson rider is injured while you are using their horse.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

It is done all the time in the UK - maybe try googling british stables and see if you can find a "working livery" contract.The British Horse Society may help too.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Technically you need their social security number for the 1099-MISC that you should issue for the exchanged value of the reduced board ...welcome to the brave new world; not really as we had to do that in the 1990s

Thanks for all the information. Will be calling the ins agency and tax guy today!

As far as a contract, you could probably have it done as kind of a "reverse lease" type thing, couldn't you? You are"leasing" the horse from HI for $XX/month"????
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I've never done it but I would think it would be based on # hrs horse was used in that month - you certainly don't want to "pay" for "leasing" when horse is unusable due to being lame, away at a show, not able to use the horse as you lack THE RIGHT STuDENT TO "FIT" THAT HORSE, etc... (excuse the caps please)
    Last edited by Valentina_32926; Jan. 9, 2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: type
    Sandy in Fla.

At my barn you can make your horse available for lessons and you get a credit of $15 per lesson. No contract.

As a lesson student, I have paid the owners of privately-owned horses who I rode directly for the use of the horse.

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

You only need to issue a 1099-misc if it is over $600.
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    Technically you need their social security number for the 1099-MISC that you should issue for the exchanged value of the reduced board ...welcome to the brave new world; not really as we had to do that in the 1990s

technically does that mean as a boarder I need to get my BO SSN so I can give them a 1099? I thought you only had to issue a 1099 for actual income, not for a discount... if trainer/BO is giving a discounted board for using horse for lessons how does that equate actual income to the boarder?

My former trainer gave me a liability release to sign when she used my horse for lessons. In reviewing it I realized it relreased the trainer (also BO) of any liability but NOT ME, so I re-wrote it to cover myself, my belongings (tack) and my horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

The discount is less than $600/year. The horse is mostly being used to get more exercise and some more extensive training than she had- she's a great safe horse, but needed some refinement. We've been discounting a monthly amount- it is not dependent on the # of rides, but owner is fine with her being used every day there are lessons scheduled as she does not ride often enough herself. I will definitely make all release forms more inclusive and check witht the insurance company about this. Thanks for everyone's input!