The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default mare with interesting pedigree in CANTER PA listings

While perusing the offerings at CANTER PA, I came across this mare, who has an unusual pedigree for a horse born in 2008.

The listing describes her as having 'flat kneed movement and a long, ground covering stride that is so pretty to watch'. Hardly a surprise given the pedigree.

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow. Double wow. With ears and eyes like that, nevermind such a novel, unique, and quite special pedigree, I'm sold. Talented rare find. Someone is very much going to luck out.

OMG - All these lovely mares out there. People need to drop the gelding bias and grab some up!
    The rebel in the grey shirt

3 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I've always loved the idea of Cetawayo for sport. He ran for many years, just getting better as he aged. He also ran in what passes for stamina races in the US. His pedigree is exemplary. He was not a success as a racing sire, but this mare's bottom side also is very promising for sport. Mare is lovely. Someone should get her.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Can you pedigree buffs talk more about this one? My horse also has His Majesty as a grandsire (via Majesty's Imp).

Speaking of which, Viney, may I bother you at some point for an analysis of my fellow?
    Last edited by baxtersmom; Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baxtersmom View Post
    Can you pedigree buffs talk more about this one? My horse also has His Majesty as a grandsire (via Majesty's Imp).

Speaking of which, Viney, may I bother you at some point for an analysis of my fellow?
    A pedigree link, please.

Same trainer has also has this unraced gelding...same pedigree (though I'm a sucker for a nice mare)
    http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=279

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, love her eye! I would love to see a video of her. Only 13 starts, too. Good thing I'm not on the East Coast or I would be ending up with a horse I don't need but would love to have!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

She had 24 starts, and was in the money seven times with one win. This is a good mare.

I think they both look smashing, and very fairly priced for their experience (good heights, too) if they would pass a PPE. I ABSOLUTELY love that gelding because my heart horse is a bright copper chestnut, too.

...there could be an available stall in S. Pines for said pretty mare if someone would like to become an owner. Pick-up and delivery could be arranged, even.

I've looked at a similar a pedigree before. A couple years ago I almost bought a Cetoway son as an event prospect. Lovely horse, lovely temperment, just the timing wasn't right for a new horse. The breeder of that particular horse I was looking at was someone that breeds to race, but also trys to breed something that would do well in sport for a career after racing. I think she used him as a stallion several times with a few different mares.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelbelle21 View Post
    Same trainer has also has this unraced gelding...same pedigree (though I'm a sucker for a nice mare)
    http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=279
    I liked this guy. He's just a little short for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    The listing describes her as having 'flat kneed movement and a long, ground covering stride that is so pretty to watch'. Hardly a surprise given the pedigree.

JER (or anyone else), can you comment on why the above would be true given the pedigree?

FYI bit of trivia the trainer Stephanie Tate was one of the top Amateur Owner riders back when there was no adult Amy division. I worked for her and had the privilege standing in warm up with some of the top trainers of the day...If Steff has the horse it will be even better than advertised and she seriously knows a good mover

1 members found this post helpful.

I have seen quite a few Cetewayo horses for sale in the mid-Atlantic. Someone must event one?

He only entered stud in 2005, so his oldest would only be six or so, and he didn't cover many mares. If his are very slow maturing, and they would seem to be, that's probably why he has been a bust as a racing sire. There's little or no room in racing for horses who don't do well as two or three year olds.

He doesn't seem to be listed as the sire of any USEF registered horses. If USEA allows searches by sire, they might have some.

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    I have seen quite a few Cetewayo horses for sale in the mid-Atlantic. Someone must event one?

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    If his are very slow maturing, and they would seem to be, that's probably why he has been a bust as a racing sire. There's little or no room in racing for horses who don't do well as two or three year olds.
    The Cetoway baby I was looking at was 4 I think and 17.3. He was actually pulled off the track because they were concerned about injuring him simply because of his size and immaturity.

They both seem a bit straight in the hind end to me?