The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Optics are still one area of consumer products where you definitely get what you pay for.

I am not familiar with night vision optics but I am familiar with high grade optics use for long range marksmanship. A truly good variable magnification rifle scope built for precision work (not deer hunting) will easily run you $1500 at the bottom end and over $3500 at the top. Fixed magnification spotting scopes, being simpler, cost less but even there the very bottom of acceptable quality starts at $800.

You will get a lot of people who say "my made in China X works just as good", well, they usually don't know what they don't know or their idea of good is far less stringent than that of a more serious user.

Moral of the story, I agree with those who say stay away from the cheap night vision stuff. It's probably junk.

Binoculars above 10x can be hand-held, if they're image-stabilized. But again, you're talking big bucks. I have a 10x50 pair I use for game watching and casual astronomy.

There are game camera in the under-$100 range that are useful for seeing what's going on at night. Typically they're about 5 megapixel and available in visible and infrared flash. With IR, there's some blurring if the object moves during the exposure and the image in not in color.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Binoculars above 10x can be hand-held, if they're image-stabilized. But again, you're talking big bucks.
    Yes, I forgot about those because the prices are astronomical. But if you need them you need them.