The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Help!!! DH wants a pair of night vision binoculars to spy on horses and coyotes....

...and I don't know what the numbers mean describing the "power" of the glasses!! How do the numbers relate to the magnification?? 30x60, 60x35, 10 m x 1000 m??? I have no ideas which is stronger!! Anyone??? Thanks.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    ...and I don't know what the numbers mean describing the "power" of the glasses!! How do the numbers relate to the magnification?? 30x60, 60x35, 10 m x 1000 m??? I have no ideas which is stronger!! Anyone??? Thanks.
    I am guessing stores like Bass Pro Shop carry them. I would ask one of the people there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

The first number is the magnification, and the second number is the size of the lenses (in millimeters). So 7x42 binoculars mean that they magnify images 7 times, and the lenses are 42 millimeters in diameter. If there are two numbers before the x (7-10x42), then they're zoom binoculars. Anything bigger than 10x is going to be darn heavy to hold steady, and you'll need a tripod. Mine are 10x50, and they're pretty big. If you're going for portability, I'd stick to 8x or smaller.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Crosscreeksh thank you for the awesome gift idea!

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorseLittleHorse View Post
    The first number is the magnification, and the second number is the size of the lenses (in millimeters). So 7x42 binoculars mean that they magnify images 7 times, and the lenses are 42 millimeters in diameter. If there are two numbers before the x (7-10x42), then they're zoom binoculars. Anything bigger than 10x is going to be darn heavy to hold steady, and you'll need a tripod. Mine are 10x50, and they're pretty big. If you're going for portability, I'd stick to 8x or smaller.
    So how does 30x60 translate???
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by jennywho View Post
    Crosscreeksh thank you for the awesome gift idea!
    The "idea" started as a gift for our grandaughter's 8th birthday...she is a big time outdoor gal, but when DH heard HE got all interested!! It is a cool idea. We have some very serious binoculars from the old days, but the night ones seem even more fun. Judging from the wild "poo" around the farm, it must be very busy out there at night!!! Now to find the best ones!!!

A motion-detect, infrared flash game camera is fun too. Lets you see who's prowling around out there.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

2 members found this post helpful.

^ Hubby has one of those, and sets it up often in random places so he can 'see' what the dogs are doing when he's not home. Mostly he just gets pictures of DD licking the thing, but even I will admit it's pretty fun!

And I'm with jennywho... thanks for the great gift idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

"We can see you, Karl!"
    Quarry Rat

6 members found this post helpful.

So how does 30x60 translate???
    30X fixed magnification, 60 mm objective lens diameter. The objective lens is the one where light comes into the optical instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    30X fixed magnification, 60 mm objective lens diameter. The objective lens is the one where light comes into the optical instrument.
    So this one would be fairly good/useful?? Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post

A larger objective would be better, but 60 mm is adequate.

But I've never seen 30X binoculars. That would be more like a spotting scope that is tripod mounted. You would see far too much shake if you tried to hold a 30X telescope in your hands. BTDT.

Holy crow! These things are expensive! Looks like most of them are made in the Russian Federation. And, howcome Amazon will only sell them in California and outside of the US?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    "We can see you, Karl!"
    That is EXACTLY what I think every time I see this thread!!

Glad I'm not the only one
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

If you check eBay...they "can be" under $20!!! Worth the risk of buying a pair for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    "We can see you, Karl!"
    DH loves this commercial. He randomly quotes it, and also says the lines with the commercial when it comes on.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I use my night vision all the time to keep an eye on what goes on at night. That being said good night vision is very expensive and I would not put much faith in the really cheap ones. I will qualify my statement by saying I am only repeating what my DH has told me

I wanted some too. For the same thing, except also to spy on the dreaded rabbits! My husband said, go!! buy some. Then he said I could sit on the roof and shoot all trespassers. (rabbits)

I looked at the prices, OMG. Too much for a night time spy on the critters. Very very expensive. And ya do not want the cheap ones. But the cheap ones were pricey too.

I just trap the offenders. I have caught one rabbit btw, in a cage, no food. ? I think Mr. Fox was chasing it and it ran in the cage. I did give this one a reprieve. And let it go a few miles from here.

There are, IIRC, four "generations" of night vision devices. They come as monocular and binocular format. Some are set up a sights for use on rifles or shotguns, some are just hand held devices or set up for wear on helmets or head bands.

The Gen1 stuff is the oldest, cheapest, heaviest, and least capable. But, for just fooling around on the farm at night, it's absolutely adequate. For several years I had a Gen1, Russian-made sight mounted on a shotgun. It was not very accurate on a rifle, but the shotgun mount was quite satisfactory. It had an infrared "illuminator" good out to about 75 yards. It was powered by four AA batteries. It was HEAVY. Put it on a Winchester 1187 shotgun and you're toting about 16 lbs.!!!

Sadly, it's dead now (broken switch and no replacements available). I've been looking at more modern Gen1 stuff but haven't bought yet. It would be nice to get a Gen3 scope but that's real money (north of $2000 in most cases). The Gen4 stuff is pretty much restricted to military or police use. You don't see much of it for sale.

One of the best places to shop is your local gun show. You can find Gen1, 2, and 3 gear (new, used, and MILSURP) in varying levels of capability and format. Or just go to Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop or someplace like that. There you'll get the advantage of buying from a reputable company and a full warranty on the product.

These are fun toys, but are not cheap toys.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

1 members found this post helpful.