The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Going to ride a horse for Eponacowgirl OR How I ended up with another new horse.

So about a month ago Lauren calls me as says she knows I just bought a lovely new horse (JER's semi-famous OTTB Danny!) but is there any chance I might be interested in another horse because I really should come take a look at this horse she has found. I'm always "interested." I head out to meet her the next day, but mostly because it's always a fun time to ride with her.

The backstory is that she found this horse from a trainer an hour or so away that we both know and have a tremendous amount of respect for. She's had him since he was a weanling and even though he's going he's still quite inexperienced at 6 coming 7. Lauren found him for someone else, but when a PPE discovered a couple bone chips the original buyer declined even though the vet felt he was a great candidate for surgery and the price was adjusted to more than compensate for the cost. If I was a single horse owning amateur who boarded and hadn't had experience with very many horses I would have declined too. But I'm not.

It took trying to coordinate with the owner who is not only based out of town, but was out of the country on vacation, multiple vets, another PPE and the craziness (see: out of town guests) through two holidays. But the end story is that 3 vets that I highly respect all felt that even though surgery isn't absolutely necessary it's a no-brainer with an excellent prognosis.

I bought him over the weekend and dropped him off for surgery this afternoon.

He's a 16.2 Trakehner, bay (because all my horses seem to be.) He's been to one show--a recognized dressage show where he scored a 73/74% in two training level tests. His dressage is more accomplished than his jumping which is willing and green. He doesn't make much of anything under 3' and is surprisingly economical considering his athleticism. He's calm and level headed. He has two 1/2 siblings that have won end of year YEH championships--one through his sire and one through his dam. (I just figured this out reading the recent USEA article discussed in another thread!)

Even though the plan since we bought the farm has been for me to have two fun horses going--the key word being "fun"--mr. subk is still in a bit of a daze. ("Really, honey? Five horses? Really?") So I should be very busy this summer hopefully showing a couple cute youngsters the ropes.

Thank-you Eponacowgirl! And a request for jingles for his surgery in the morning from everyone...
    Last edited by subk; Jan. 8, 2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: I tripped over my fingers...

3 members found this post helpful.

Ahem. Pictures?
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

4 members found this post helpful.

Congrats and PA jingles sent your way
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Congrats and big jingles for surgery!

P.

you had me at trakehner
    congrats!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

Nice!
    Click here before you buy.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I swear I'm going to buy a horse from Eponacowgirl one of these days. I haven't seen a single online horse of her's I'm not head over heels in love with....is that stalker esque? hahaha but really. Congratulations & we need PICS!!!!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Yeah, where are the pics???

Congrats and jingles!!!

Sorry about the lack of pictures! It's been rainy and dismal here--and now he's hanging out at the vet's! Although, when Eponcowgirl sees this thread I think she might have a video...

...and yes EC knows how to scour the environs and scrounge up horses. I swear it took 18 months to find Danny, then out of the blue she pulls this one out of a hat! I tried to explain to the DH that when you have "BUYER" stamped across your forehead it makes everything more difficult and deals like this just aren't out there!! Finger crossed.

Oh dear.

Another bay is a good thing. Mr. subk will have a harder time getting a headcount. I know this because I have four black mares up here but no more than two are usually in your field of view at any given time.

I hope surgery goes well and also that Danny likes his new companion.

I'll do you one better. Here's video of Mr. Handsome himself, ridden by the Spectacular Subk HERself, at MY lovely farm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IZk4CNb1K0

Where's kb? She always chimes in to tell me how wonderful I am on threads like these.

Anyway, I owed Subk one... if not for her, I wouldn't have MY amazing Doccie, from Annikak, by way of cookiepony!

Ok, I'm officially jealous! Lovely horse. You're going to have a blast with him. Big jingles for surgery from WA.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I was once told, when I was taking Buzzy in for surgery at UF, that sometimes, when we are willing to take a chance on them, they will make it up to us, a hundred times over!

I never ever ever regretted taking the chips out of his ankles. Taking a chance on that horse changed my life for the better I was nervous and went and watched them take the bone chips out from the surgery viewing room, but I'm not sure I'd do it again -- seeing them rolled in to surgery was a little scary . . .

I figured out quickly how to change the bandages and do it right the first time and the best places to order wrapping supplies from -- elastikon was priced best at one place and vet wrap and cotton elsewhere. I think I spent more on wrapping materials than I did on the surgery package . . .

Best wishes and jingles for the surgery! I too, would love to see pictures!

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Nice, nice, nice! Hey, I want your kind of green, EpCowGirl and subk! Jingles for surgery and recovery!
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

You also had me at "Trakehner"! What a lovely, lovely, horse and a lovely way of going. Looks like a winner to me! Congrats!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    I'll do you one better. Here's video of Mr. Handsome himself, ridden by the Spectacular Subk HERself, at MY lovely farm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IZk4CNb1K0

Where's kb? She always chimes in to tell me how wonderful I am on threads like these.

Anyway, I owed Subk one... if not for her, I wouldn't have MY amazing Doccie, from Annikak, by way of cookiepony!

Here I am! And yes it seems that Lauren has done it again! She is the bestest horse finder ever! I am telling you - if you need a horse call Lauren tell her what you want and she will find the perfect one. He is lovely! Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by kb View Post
    ...if you need a horse call Lauren tell her what you want and she will find the perfect one.
    Or in my case if you DON'T need one, beware if your contact is in her phone!

Update: The boy came out of surgery great and everything looks really good. I'll pick him up this afternoon. Thanks for the jingles!

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Or in my case if you DON'T need one, beware if your contact is in her phone!
    I like to network!

Congrats on your lovely new boy!

This thread does my heart good. I have a nearly exact match to your new guy. Same age, about the same experience and I think he's one of Cy's nicest babies that I've bred. Both maternal grandparents were GP jumpers. Suitable for an ammy could do any discipline at high level, but ankle chips.

My vets (3 different practices) have told me to leave them alone, too minor and not bothering him. Four vets just looking at the x-rays for potential buyers have said to pass (never even saw the horse). ARGH!!

But, now maybe I can see that there can be a light at the end of tunnel and that right person will come along, fall in love and do great things with him (with or without the chips).

Thanks for sharing and nothing but the best for your future with him!!!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts