Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    Has there ever been any studies on Thrush?

Fusobacterium Necrophorum

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    . . .
    I do not know if anyone has evaluated various thrush remedies for effectiveness.
    It ought to be a no brainer that a bacterial infection in sensative tissue should be treated with an antibiotic and not a necrotizing toxin.

It should be,but just Googling "thrush in hooves" will get you a vast array of causes, descriptions, and treatments.

I love my box of Tomorrow, but people tend to look at me as if I have 2 heads,when I pull it out instead of using Koppertox - yuck!! Who wants green fingers?? - Bleach - Ouch!! - or some fungal home remedy.

1 members found this post helpful.

In addition to getting the hoof loading correctly, the horse should have his diet assessed.

Just as in humans, diets rich in sugars and carbs can create hell on the body. On horses that often shows up as thrush.

Question, is there a reason why Betadine wouldn't work as well as Chlorahedixine? I have an aversion to the CHD because I own a pony who is highly allergic so I just don't buy it/keep it again because I'd rather not take a chance on someone accidentally grabbing it and using it on him. And it seems like if you buy CHD you have to buy MASS QUANTITIES. So for general wound scrubbing use I always justise Betadine instead.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Question, is there a reason why Betadine wouldn't work as well as Chlorahedixine? . . .
    Probably no significant difference on something as easy to kill as thrush bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    In addition to getting the hoof loading correctly, the horse should have his diet assessed.

Just as in humans, diets rich in sugars and carbs can create hell on the body. On horses that often shows up as thrush.

He had the sulcus thrush when I got him four months ago both fronts. Now just left front. I don't know what his diet was with previous owners.

I have him on (per day) 10 lbs Alflalfa hay, free feed Orchard hay (eats about 20 lbs), 2 lbs Stam 30 ration balancer, 2000 IU's of Vit E and electrolytes.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

I love my box of Tomorrow, but people tend to look at me as if I have 2 heads,when I pull it out instead of using Koppertox - yuck!! Who wants green fingers?? - Bleach - Ouch!! - or some fungal home remedy.
    My vet along with many on this board suggested the Tomorrow.. and agree that green goop is messy and nasty. And yes on the pain part, it already bothers him just to put the plastic syringe in the crack let alone something that would burn... no thanks..

Was anyone able to see the fb link to see if the lateral view is not too out of whack? If you can view it, I will try to post the heel view today.

The confusing thing for me is the angles all look (to the amateur eye) decent from the outside... but viewing the heel area the heel is clearly not allowing the tiny frog to engage. Heels are longer from the underside. So how would you trim to bring the heels down without changing the exterior angles????

To me, the angles look different between the two feet, but its hard to tell. Can you get pics from all sides?

Op, do you mean that your horse won't let the plastic needle on the tomorrow go into the crevices created by the thrush? My mare has contracted heels and we regularly battle some form of thrush. When I bought her, she was shipped to me with the worst case of thrush! She was lame and bleeding in her hoof on her left hind leg. After the vet and farrier came out and cleaned/ cut out was was left of the frog treating it everyday was torture for my mare! Now, I have battled thrush with her on some level for years! My farrier recommended tomorrow last year and it has been wwonderful! Usually clears up after just two applications! I strongly recommend!

Quote Originally Posted by HorseKrazy View Post
    Op, do you mean that your horse won't let the plastic needle on the tomorrow go into the crevices created by the thrush? My mare has contracted heels and we regularly battle some form of thrush. When I bought her, she was shipped to me with the worst case of thrush! She was lame and bleeding in her hoof on her left hind leg. After the vet and farrier came out and cleaned/ cut out was was left of the frog treating it everyday was torture for my mare! Now, I have battled thrush with her on some level for years! My farrier recommended tomorrow last year and it has been wwonderful! Usually clears up after just two applications! I strongly recommend!
    He lets me put the plastic syringe of the Tomorrow in the crack (sulcus where thrush is) but it clearly hurts him so I am careful about it.

I have been applying it for four days and no change.

To me, the angles look different between the two feet, but its hard to tell. Can you get pics from all sides?

I will work on more pictures today. I believe they are different because farrier says this left hoof is a bit of a club foot. Probably reason the right sulcus thrush "butt crack" cleared up with just proper trim/shoe.

When my filly came to me, her feet were so bad they would bleed if I just looked at them wrong. I tried everything, but finally got a box of "Tomorrow at TSC. It would take me an hour to clean out and treat each hoof, and I went through several tubes each week. It would cause her so much pain, that i finally ended up having to Bute her for 4 or 5 days, but we finally started seeing the light. What also really helped though, was when my trimmer gave me a rasp, to keep her even, in between trims. Now, I don't do major work with it, but I do try and keep her feet level, and keep a nice bevel on the edges, and THAT has really helped.

Now, my new mare has thrush as well, but her feet are pretty long, so I don't think it will take her long at all to come around.

doublesstable - has he ever been barefoot?

OK - mind if I ask a few questions in regards to Thrush?

If Thrush is just a bacterial infection, then why would changing the diet - cutting back the sugars - help the condition?

Why can't humans catch horse Thrush, since the bacteria that causes it, also causes sore throats in people?

Is Thrush NEVER compounded by a fungal infection? Because one would think that treating it with a Antibiotic AND an anti-fungal would then help?

I loved the articles that Simkie posted, but has there been studies where actual infected tissue has been tested? I assume so, but the only "studies" I have come across has been from barefoot trimmers.

So, if, like I suspect, there is often times an fungal infection, then which came first? Did the fungus start first which lead to the infection, or did the bacterial infection start, which lead to a fungal infection deep in the sulcus?

Anyway, just a few questions I have been mulling over.....

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    He lets me put the plastic syringe of the Tomorrow in the crack (sulcus where thrush is) but it clearly hurts him so I am careful about it.

I have been applying it for four days and no change.
    If you are not getting the medication to completely fill the deepest recesses of the cavity then you probably aren't going to make good progress.

Freebird, here's more reading for you:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?t...horum%20equine

I've not been through all that, but if you really want to understand what research has been done on thrush and the causative agents, look at google scholar, pubmed or the like.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    If you are not getting the medication to completely fill the deepest recesses of the cavity then you probably aren't going to make good progress.
    OK, I don't know how scientific this is, but I've had good results with spraying sore throat spray on painful wounds and such, so the horse lets me treat it. It seems to really help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    I am getting in the crack pretty deep and today vet came out and said it looked really good. Today is the first day I have seen some improvement as well. She liked the work the farrier has done and the direction he is going. She did say it was a club foot too as my farrier did.

And yes he has been barefoot. He was barefoot when I bought him and had both fronts with the deep sulcus cracks. He started chipping with work when we brought him here so we put shoes on. He was from Germany so I would imagine the environment is much different than here in Cali. and possibly the work load.