The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Let me defend my archaic stance by amending that I would NOT use bleach in a deep sulcus or in the cleft of the frog. Just on grody surface stuff.
    Ya know Doc, the chlorhexidine solution I get for $12/gal makes about 50 gal at the recommended ~2% solution. Also works very well on rain rot, scratches, athletes foot (better that Tinactin), takes the "hoof smell" off your hands . . . Save yerself a buck.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tchuki513 View Post
    The ONLY thing that truly works for Thrush and WORKS FAST!
    This based on a clinical trial of how many horses?

I used this on a horse we bought with the worst thrush you could imagine.
    That's one horse.

Looked like canker, but all vets and our farrier said it was just a horrible case of thrush.
    within 5 days--- it was gone without a trace.
    I keep it on hand and use it once a week as a preventative.

CHEAP, EASY and AMAZING! gentle too!

a 50/50 combo of Triple Antibiotic Ointment (neosporin) and 1% Clotrimazole Athletes Foot Cream. Both purchased at walmart or similar, and packed into an oral dosing syringe for application. Just pick the feet out real well and squeeze a bit down the crevices and put horse in a DRY stall- repeat every day (we did twice- am and pm)
    Yes indeed just about ANY topical antibiotic you can get your hands on will be effective against thrush. The critter we are trying to kill is fusobacterium necrophorum.

If you dilute your antibiotic with other antifungal meds it is very likely that you are reducing the efficiency of the treatment by whatever % you add to the mix.

But you can get dry cow mastitis ointment already in a disposable syringe with a soft plastic applicator tip for less than $3/tube AND one tube is usually enough to treat a deep sulcus thrush infection for 3 or 4 treatments - which is usually all it takes - based on my experience with hundreds of cases (and hundreds of other hoof care providers have reported similar results).

I keep it on hand and use it once a week as a preventative.
    In which case you are carefully schooling the local bacterial flora to develop resistance to your product . . .
    Click here before you buy.

"No Thrush Dry Formula" (http://www.nothrushshop.com/index.html)
    It worked really well with my horse and the powder stayed put in my horse's problem areas. Additionally, it isn't messy and doesn't stain clothes/brain aisles.
    He showed visible improvement within a week which was pretty impressive considering that he lives outside and it was very muddy out during the treatment period.

I did leave a message for my vet the other day and she called me back today and told me to buy mastitis cream for cows - - and asked if I ever heard of that... and that it comes in a tube you can squirt right into the cracks... and I told her I did and that I read about it on line. I told her what I ordered and she said I got the right stuff..... So thank you!
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I finally received the Dry Cow... and went to apply putting tip into the "butt crack" at the bulb and WOWZERS - as I gently put the tip into the crack it went SO FAR... the entire tip... I squeezed it in and applied wonder dust on top.

I wanted to put cotton in but I was not comfortable doing that.. seems painful. He even flinched a slight bit when I put the tip in the crack.

WILL THIS BIG OF A CRACK HEAL?

I did get over zealous and bought four boxes of 12 Dry cow just to be safe. I suppose I'm glad I did. I think this is going to take some time by the looks of it. He had these butt cracks when I got him and he was barefoot.... the right butt crack is gone but the left one is pretty severe. This left foot is a bit of a club shape - my regular farrier stated. Hopefully with a more open shoe now and the Dry Cow I can get this resolved..??

Is there any other protocol to help with this issue?

Thanks so much... never really dealt with much thrush in all the years I have had horses...

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    . . .
    WILL THIS BIG OF A CRACK HEAL?
    Yes, IF the frog can engage the ground.

This one healed in 4 days - no place left to inject the medication.
    http://blackburnforge.com/images/Image0035.jpg

Note how far the frog is above the heels. IMEs this is the root cause of deep sulcus thrush.

Tom, can one safely soak a foot with Oxine solution for central sulcus thrush? And dry the foot, and then apply TODAY or TOMORROW?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

And by "safely" I mean, will soaking in Oxine solution be painful for the horse with central sulcus thrush?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    And by "safely" I mean, will soaking in Oxine solution be painful for the horse with central sulcus thrush?
    I'm not Tom, but keep in mind that you're dealing with sensitive, live tissue. Any thrush that's deep in the central sulcus - ie. "butt crack" area - that's sensitive live tissue. I wouldn't treat with anything that you wouldn't use on your own skin.

If you must soak... Go to amazon.com or a vet supply catalog (KV Vet, Valley Vet, Jeffers, etc....). Order yourself a gallon of chlorhexidine. It's about $12. Safe for use on skin. Be careful as it comes as a concentrate (which MUST be diluted to a 2% solution...as Tom stated above, one gal of concentrate will make 50 gal of diluted solution) and it's also sold as a pre-diluted solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    Yes, IF the frog can engage the ground.

This one healed in 4 days - no place left to inject the medication.
    http://blackburnforge.com/images/Image0035.jpg

Note how far the frog is above the heels. IMEs this is the root cause of deep sulcus thrush.

That makes sense. I will try to upload some photos of this hoof because it does look similar to this one you have posted.

I have had two farriers work on this horse and the second one did open the shoe up nicely but the heel is still higher than the frog.

I guess I just don't know how to ask them why the foot still looks like it does or how to explain this is an issue. The second farrier said the hoof is a club foot so if that's what were dealing with how do we address?

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I don't know since I've never used it for thrush. IMO, Big waste of time.

I just use the antibiotic itself and squirt enough in there that it runs out. That takes about 10 seconds from the time you pick up the foot till you put it down.

I wouldn't go to all the trouble of mixing oxine, filling a bucket, and soaking a horse's foot for deep sulcus thrush, but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

I'll bet you $3 that the dry cow antibiotic clears up the deep sulcus thrush faster than soaking or (anything else you've seen folks talk about on this forum) with fewer treatments.
    Last edited by Tom Bloomer; Jan. 19, 2013 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    That makes sense. I will try to upload some photos of this hoof because it does look similar to this one you have posted.
    You mean with the heels not covered by the shoe and the frog 1/2" or more off the ground? That foot probably looked a lot better the day the previous farrier worked on it. The "person in charge" let the horse go 10 weeks before scheduling a farrier appointment. I took the pictures to document the neglect for the horse's owner.

I have had two farriers work on this horse and the second one did open the shoe up nicely but the heel is still higher than the frog.
    What do you mean by "open the shoe?" Do you think that all that's required to fit a shoe is opening or closing it?
    I guess I just don't know how to ask them why the foot still looks like it does or how to explain this is an issue.The second farrier said the hoof is a club foot so if that's what were dealing with how do we address?

Any suggestions?
    Club feet present complicated mechanical issues that all farriers struggle with on a regular basis. Ask your farrier if he knows another farrier that is better with club feet than he is.

You mean with the heels not covered by the shoe and the frog 1/2" or more off the ground? That foot probably looked a lot better the day the previous farrier worked on it. The "person in charge" let the horse go 10 weeks before scheduling a farrier appointment. I took the pictures to document the neglect for the horse's owner.
    I will get a photo this am.

What do you mean by "open the shoe?" Do you think that all that's required to fit a shoe is opening or closing it?
    The previous shoe was very tight in the heel - not allowing area for the hoof to grow outward and covered the frog.

I know to fitting a shoe is more than I am educated to respond but the obvious. which was a very closed shoe at the heel. And could probably see if the hoof is trimmed balanced and have always been told to see a decent trim/shoe job to look at the cornet band.

To add - The only reason I changed farriers is because I moved my horse.
    Last edited by doublesstable; Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM.

I took a photo but it was not clear - LOL I don't have a camera just a cell phone. But it was clear to my eye the frog is not engaged and the heels are higher. My vet is coming out tomorrow for my other horses and she will be looking at his hoof to see what needs to be done. Then I can instruct the farrier what the vet wants done. I may even have some xrays done to see what's going on inside.

Thank you so much for educating me on this a bit so I can help my horse.

Has your vet done formal training, served an apprenticeship, and acquired years of field experience in farriery? If not, how does your vet "know specifically and exactly" what needs to be done and how that can be achieved if they don't have the ability to do it themselves?

Ask your vet these questions before paying for an opinion on what your farrier should do.

Has there ever been any studies on Thrush? I'm assuming so...I guess I mean, is there any studies that have been written about, where the thrush has been tested to find the cause, as well as which treatments actually work?

If you do a Google search. sites usually list Thrush as either being caused by candida (yeast) or by bacteria, or both, but thrush in hooves, is not the same as thrush in humans, (mouths, etc) right?? Personally, I love, love, LOVE using Tomorrow, on deep sulcus thrush. Literally within days I can start to see the heels opening up, after using it.

Has your vet done formal training, served an apprenticeship, and acquired years of field experience in farriery? If not, how does your vet "know specifically and exactly" what needs to be done and how that can be achieved if they don't have the ability to do it themselves?

Ask your vet these questions before paying for an opinion on what your farrier should do.
    I will definitely discuss this with my vet. I do know based off x rays she knows where she wants the structures so that may give us a good base line to work off in coordination with the farrier. I did try another picture and will post it on my facebook because I cannot get photobucket to work anymore for me.

I have been using the Tomorrow for four days now and I do believe that until I get the frog engaged I wont have much improvement.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Here is my fb link. I hope it works. I know I need to get a photo of the heel but thought you could at least see this view. Will work on other view later. Have to get more room on my phone for photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    Has there ever been any studies on Thrush? I'm assuming so...I guess I mean, is there any studies that have been written about, where the thrush has been tested to find the cause, as well as which treatments actually work?

If you do a Google search. sites usually list Thrush as either being caused by candida (yeast) or by bacteria, or both, but thrush in hooves, is not the same as thrush in humans, (mouths, etc) right?? Personally, I love, love, LOVE using Tomorrow, on deep sulcus thrush. Literally within days I can start to see the heels opening up, after using it.
    Thrush in the equine is caused by the anerobic bacteria Fusobacterium necrophorum. No, this is not the same agent that causes people thrush.

Here's a reasonably decent article: http://www.thehorse.com/articles/273...down-on-thrush

I do not know if anyone has evaluated various thrush remedies for effectiveness.