The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Treating thrush *thank you* Yay

I have a young horse, wears shoes and is going through a bit of a lay up... so he's not the most quiet guy in the barn and has thrush really bad.

When I bought him a few months ago I noticed he had really measly frogs and thrushy. His left front even has the "butt crack" appearance.

He is at my home now and I really want to get aggressive with thrust treatment but I need ideas of how to do the soaking without him going crazy.

I have read you can soak in Clean Trax, White Lightning, Lysol or scrub with Dawn for 20 minutes but I don't know if I can get him to stand in water for that long... or make a soaking boot... but how do you make a soaking boot for a horse with a shoe?

After I clean/soak the hooves I thought to apply Desitin or Cow mastitis cream.... I have heard these products work really well but the hoof needs to be cleaned and soaked... I did put Braggs apple cider vinegar with tea tree oil on today once the farrier pointed out how bad his thrush was... But with some other health issues he's a bit hard to deal with right now.....

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Last edited by doublesstable; Jan. 26, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

You can use IV bags as soaking boots.

Why won't he stand for a soaking? Does he need training on the ground? I had to soak my young horse's foot just yesterday. Did it in her stall while she ate her dinner - stood with her hoof in the pan the whole time.

I don't know that you can use White Lightning or Clean Trax with shoes. How about good old Durasole.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

You can use the Davis soaking boot on a horse with a shoe. They work great.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well to make a long story short; he was not great for the farrier today, used a lip chain - I don't know his history of handling his hooves - - But he will be going for surgery Friday for cryptorichid. He is normally a very well behaved guy but with limited exercise, cold weather and mental issues..... it's been interesting.

I do have a Davis boot... I will see if it fits him.... what do you put in it?

I've never had to do more than pick feet more frequently to deal with thrush, but the white lightening bottle says it is "best if the horse is not wearing a shoe," not that the horse MUST be barefoot, so that is an option.

I wonder if I just scrub it good with a lysol solution, dry it well and pack it with Desitin? Or the Apple Cider Vinegar.....

Do you think that would do anything?

I agree, in the 30 some years my other horses I have never had any trouble with thrush and they love to play in the mud.

When I got this horse I think there was an issue with unhealthy frogs and I really need to resolve it.

Hmmm... I have never packed or soaked a hoof for thrush. Kopertox is my favorite poison. Stays/sticks on well, is hydrophobic, and dries out the thrush. Also, you may need to get in there with a hoof knife and cut out any frog/soft tissue that is blocking grooves from shedding dirt/bedding, etc. I like to put my Kopertox in a smaller bottle for dispensing onto the foot. (You can get a small condiment bottle at the grocery store, Bed, Bath, Beyond etc.) The stuff is sticky and once on clothing it is there (as far as I know) forever.

What is the desitin supposed to do? Thrush is an anaerobic bacterial infection, so I don't really see how slathering on petroleum based product is going to help. You want as much air in there as possible, I would think, or something that will act on the bacteria.

I would not use lysol or bleach. It will harm living tissue as well as the thrush.

IMO, I would use a product made to deal with thrush. Soaking with White Lightening or Clean Trax is probably your best bet, then following up daily with the Dry Cow. The Dry Cow is runny and I had better luck putting it in and then packing the crevices with Wonder Dust to keep it in.

Although, I think a big part of your issue is the stall rest. Movement is a big component in getting rid of thrush (IME), along with trim and cleaning.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

1 members found this post helpful.

I read about Dry Cow...

I also read that Desitin " apply Zinc Oxide ointment (Desitin) over the frog and work it into all the cracks and crevices"

I figured it couldn't hurt.. but I may be wrong. Never had to deal with deteriorated looking frogs ever!

I saw mastitis creams sold in tube form.. may be easier to apply. Do you know what is in the Dry Cow that helps resolve the thrush?

Even when my horse has been moving the issue exists. So I think it needs more aggressive treatment. I just don't know what kind... and how to do it safely.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    I read about Dry Cow...

I also read that Desitin " apply Zinc Oxide ointment (Desitin) over the frog and work it into all the cracks and crevices"

I figured it couldn't hurt.. but I may be wrong. Never had to deal with deteriorated looking frogs ever!

I saw mastitis creams sold in tube form.. may be easier to apply. Do you know what is in the Dry Cow that helps resolve the thrush?

Even when my horse has been moving the issue exists. So I think it needs more aggressive treatment. I just don't know what kind... and how to do it safely.
    Where did you read about the desitin? I've never heard of that.

Healthyhoof.com

I used it for one of my horses that had scratches so I have big tubes of it hanging out in my tack room.

BTW - I do have this horse shod every 5 weeks... and today the farrier cleaned up the frogs as best as possible. They are really ugly frogs... poor guy....

Right, but if you read the whole thing about zinc oxide on that site, it does nothing to TREAT the thrush. It supposedly protects the frog from urine, and they say you can use it *after* cleaning the foot well and using something ELSE to treat the thrush.

http://www.healthyhoof.com/articles/...Revisited.html

Slathering a foot with desitin alone is unlikely to do anything other than make thrush worse. And I would hope that you don't have your about to be fully castrated cryptorchid stall bound horse standing around in a stall with puddles of urine...

Perhaps we should start at the beginning: what have you been doing so far to treat the thrush? Are you picking the feet out twice daily (or at least once?), then removing any left over organic material with a steel brush so the bottom of the foot is clean? Are you then using a topical treatment like durasole or koppertox? Is the horse standing in a dry area during the day, either in his stall or outside?

If you're not already doing those things, I would start there.

And since he's about to have time off, can he be barefoot for that time? The "butt crack" comment perhaps suggests he's contracted through the heel, which certainly can contribute to thrush and would likely be aided by some time without footwear.

The thrush remedy I've seen using Desitin also calls for mixing it with triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin) and antifungal cream. I've never tried it myself.

The Dry Cow does come in tubes, but it's the consistency of milk. It's made to be squirted into udders. The little syringes are very handy to get it into small hoof crevices, but IME it runs and doesn't stay put. That's why the Wonder Dust on top is helpful.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    The Dry Cow does come in tubes, but it's the consistency of milk. It's made to be squirted into udders. The little syringes are very handy to get it into small hoof crevices, but IME it runs and doesn't stay put. That's why the Wonder Dust on top is helpful.
    I have had excellent luck with using the dry cow stuff in abscess tracts by squirting in the med and then packing with pulled cotton. I imagine you could do the same for thrush, at least in a horse with deep, tight grooves.

Rather than the "kitchen sink" method of every last remedy everyone has ever tried, why not focus on keeping the hooves scrupulously clean, dry and properly cared for and just give it a chance to clear up? Pull the shoes if he needs time off, choos ONE remedy (I sincerely doubt there is one that is vastly superior to another) and be really vigilant about cleaning the feet, keep the bedding clean, and give it some time. I wouldn't do anything that involved soaking unless a vet insisted. I want thrushy feet to be on the dry side.

For occasional little thrush spots I'm a fan of straight bleach. It does not harm living tissue in the slightest if you are judicious about it--just a tiny squirt in the nasty areas does a very nice job. There's no need to douse it or splash it all over the place!
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    The thrush remedy I've seen using Desitin also calls for mixing it with triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin) and antifungal cream. I've never tried it myself.

Any chance you are remembering incorrectly? That is a recipe for a scratches remedy not thrush to my knowledge.

3 members found this post helpful.