The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Organic complete equine supplement?

Is there such a thing as organic complete equine supplement? Barn owner want there barn to be 100% organic, which would mean I will need to switch my horses feed.

Thanks in advance!

Oh Good God... If the barn isn't the nicest, most awesome barn in your area I'd be looking for a new place.

3 members found this post helpful.

Organic? Really?? I can't even conceive of how one would acquire organic hay, let alone a supplement. We spray our horses with flyspray, stuff them with wormer and bute and so forth...how could anyone ever police or even have an "organic" barn? I smell a fruitbat barn owner...just sayin'.

2 members found this post helpful.

I agree. Ridiculous. If they want to be "organic" with their horses, fine. But to foist that off on boarders? No. I'd be looking for another barn. What about worming? Vaccines?
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I buy my own hay and grain for my two horses but barn owner (family) would prefer all organic on her farm. I could never afford to move my horses as boarding facilities in my area are actually pretty expensive. I see nothing wrong with organic other than my horses are easy keeper pets and feeding the organic oat based feed I would have to increase there amount significantly to try and meet there vitamin and mineral needs, which would both cost more and likely be more than they need as both are very easy keepers. I prefer to feed a complete my horses a complete supplement but am not sure any are manufactured organic.

PS as for worming, vaccines my horses are all up to date on those and are healthy.

That's a pretty gigantic ask. If the BO is hell-bent on being 100% organic, that would probably be THEIR burden, not yours. They need to provide you with some options if their chosen product is not meeting your horse's needs. You are paying board for YOUR HORSE to be cared for properly, not for them to feel smug and nurture their organic fantasies. And I say that because, depending upon how you define "organic", it is probably virtually impossible to achieve on a meaningful scale when feeding horses, particularly when it comes to forage and never mind deworming and medications that might be required, all of which will end up ruining that beautiful "organic" poo that comes out the other end. Good luck. You've got a tough row to hoe, although again I'd say this is the BO's problem and not yours.
    Click here before you buy.

Can you "agree to disagree"? I currently board at a farm at which "natural horsemanship" and "all natural/organic" is the norm for the owners and other boarders. I pick and choose various tactics from these philosophies, but rely primarily on my more "traditional" education from growing up riding at an eventing barn to make management and training decisions.

As long as I am respectful of others' choices and ensure that any un-natural products/supplements are used or fed away from the other horses' feeding area (pasture board), we are able to coexist quite nicely.

There are afew internet sites that list their horse feeds as certified organic. Google it. But the cost of shipping etc has to be thru the roof.

Depending on your area there may be more affordable, locally grown solutions. What area do you live in?

OP - I'm curious, are the barn owners concerned about genetically modified hay & grains on their farm? Is this the driver for the request?
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Genesis is the only organic horse feed I know of
    http://www.organic-horse-feed.com/

But, it's not cheap, and yes, shipping 50lb bags is hugely expensive for regular folks.

I don't know of an organic v/m supplement, though Dynamite is probably about as close as you'll get - some organic ingredients, others "organic" but don't have the certification because of cost, processed in chemical-free warehouses. But no, technically it's not organic.

Have you evaluated the property to see if it has a chance at being organic? Does she use either zero pest control, or does she use things that are certifiably organic things? Is her hay actually organic? That alone would make boarding costs huge. How are the pastures maintained?

I feed my horse Biostar Eq products and I really love the difference they've made. Here's the link http://www.biostareq.com/ . I try my best to use healthier products on my horse and less chemicals when I can, but I have to accept what I can do with my budget and also that there are some non-organic things that I think are necessary. As people have said, dewormers, vaccines, etc. And sadly "natural" fly sprays don't usually work very well. I also have to think about what's best for my horse. I personally would much rather give my horse a high quality pelleted feed than I would give him an organic product made of corn, oats, and barley. And I can't even imagine the daunting task of finding organic hay.

1 members found this post helpful.

I second BioStar. Here is a link to their vitamin bar, Optimum EQ. You can see the ingredients here http://www.biostareq.com/formulas/op...ent-for-horses

I feed a couple of the BioStar products for the whole food aspect, not the organic. I have been very happy with their products and their customer service. Tigger responds to emails quickly and provides some great information in her articles.

Best of luck to you on this. Not sure I would be as understanding to the BO's request as you are.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

"The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

[QUOTE=JB;6771361]Genesis is the only organic horse feed I know of
    http://www.organic-horse-feed.com/

But, it's not cheap, and yes, shipping 50lb bags is hugely expensive for regular folks.

The barn owners horses are on a certified organic horse feed that has the same ingredients as genesis. I like the product, her horses coats look lovely even in January. My concern my horses are pets and very easy keepers. I suppose they could probably handle a cup or two a day of the genesis feed, but I cannot imagine that would meet there nutritional needs as the instructions on the bag suggest feeding a much larger quantity. Also we do live in very selenium area so I suspect I would need to add a complete supplement anyways and I am not aware of complete supplement that is certified organic, if there was one I would hands down buy it for my two horses. The complete equine supplement I am currently feeding is recommended by my vet, and previous bloodwork have shown all vitamin and minerals were within normal range.

In our area you can buy certified organic hay. Personally I don`t like that hay very much as it can test very high in sugar. I actually like to buy my warmblood timothy from Washington State which I can buy from my cousins hay transporting company, its just across the boarder. I like the timothy as it is low in sugar and is supposed to have a 1:2 timothy calcium phosphorus ratio. Its expensive but my gelding absolutely loves the timothy and does very well on it.

I personally buy allot of organic food for myself. I guess I am just a little undecided of what to do right now, I have healthy horses that have never had any health concerns so I am not sure how I feel about changing things. My main concern with change is my horse gains weight really easily why he generally does not require grain.

Blue Mountain in OR has certified organic alfalfa pellets. Certified flax all over the internet. Add a vit mineral supplement like Easy Feed which is also certified and that should do the trick.

Organic hay is not a problem in my area either. Organic grains and alfalfa are also not a problem. We have quite a few organic dairies, etc., here, so there is a demand.

An organic ration balancer? That I'd like to see.

Quote Originally Posted by D Taylor View Post
    Blue Mountain in OR has certified organic alfalfa pellets. Certified flax all over the internet. Add a vit mineral supplement like Easy Feed which is also certified and that should do the trick.
    Is there a link for easy feed?

I too would really like to see an organic ration balancer I would absolutely feed my horses that