The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default poor old Bennett College not so Halcyon last days.

this is so sad to me. http://www.opacity.us/site11_bennett..._for_girls.htm

there are literally hundreds of photos of the once beautiful Halcyon Hall at Bennett College on photo websites. its almost criminal that this structure is now famous for a place to take spooky photos.

wow. as an architect, I am enthralled by old buildings like this. such a shame they want to demolish it for condos. what a spectacular place!

Bennett was THE place to go for a great junior college experience and riding experience for my generation. the Fallons made the program as high calibre as any private show stables. there has to be a list a mile long of alumni who were notables .......

2 members found this post helpful.

It breaks my heart when people want to destroy old, beautiful, and unique buildings with an identity to themselves to put up something bland and generic (condos around here are pretty cookie cutter) that will look just like the set of condos in the next town. It does seem in rough shape, but I wish they'd try to renovate the old buildings into living quarters: people lived in it before. I remember in college we read an essay that I loved discussing how old buildings are the ones that give a town/area its own identity: destroy that identity and you lose your own.

sorry that was long
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

It is heartbreaking to see such a magnificent structure demolished and replaced with something so ordinary as condos. So few people seem to have an appreciation for anything that is not new and modern. The photos of Halcyon Hall in its heyday are wonderful.

2 members found this post helpful.