The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where are all the OTTBs?

I'm not really complaining, I'm glad there is a great interest in OTTBs as sport horses.. but where are all the straight off the track ones?

I'm in the market for a horse. I'm pretty easy.. I just want a plain bay gelding.

I've gone to the various CANTER sites in my area and i've seen a lot of mares (I'm just not a mare person) and a few geldings with some pretty significant injuries. I also checked some rescues and some restarting programs (but many of them are asking way too much for an OTTB that's been over a cross rain a few times)

I have 3 friends that gallop at 3 different tracks and none of their trainers have any their ready to part with.

Is this just the time of year or a sign of the times?
    Whoever said money can't buy happiness didn't know where to buy a horse

Tough time of year for a lot of locations. Tracks are dark or meets haven't started yet.

Best time to find something is going to be toward the end of the meet at your local track

If you have friends at tracks, get on the backside and talk to people. Even if they don't have what you want now, they are usually happy to keep your number for when something is available.

Yup, a lot of the Northern tracks are shut down for the winter. That makes it a lot harder to find horses. Did you check New Vocations? It looks like they have some nice geldings on their site right now. The first one listed, Wannabe, had me salivating a bit. http://www.horseadoption.com/thoroughbreds/
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

Bev at Midatlantic Horse rescue has some nice geldings at the momenet. All are OTTB's, some rescued, some donated by their caring owners. She stands behind her horses, her contract is very reasonable, and they have all been evaluated both physically and mentally. She also has a great deal of experience in getting horses shipped to many different locations.
    Last edited by tradewind; Jan. 8, 2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: additional info

2 members found this post helpful.

Over where it's HI in the middle and round on both ends.

Default OTTB

Have you looked at Bits and Bytes Farm website? Elizabeth Wood specializes in prospect horses of the track. I have sold 3 of my retiring racehorses through her. bitsandbytesfarm.com

i get most of mine straight from the training tracks here in ocala. some of mine did not even race. a couple i have did come from the track, but for the most part mine are young,green and never raced
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

I have several at my farm in southern, nj. All over 16 hands and fancy, ready to ride now. Ranging from free to $2k. I just posted pics on the mid Atlantic dressage group on Facebook. I am negotiable as I have two more to bring home and I'm out of stalls.

I tried to find that group on FB to see the horse picks couldnt pull it up.
    thanks
    My Answered Prayers**Daisy
    Willing to Please - Hero 5/10/87-7/14/09 My Life will never be the same

It's likely a wrong time of year. We just have a couple right now, fewest we've had available over the winter in a LONG time. (Several were claimed off us last summer.) One of the ones we've had available for two YEARS is actually going to get another shot at the racetrack because he's so good-looking and has matured very well. Fingers crossed he stays sound. If not, there will be a very nice bay gelding with a bit of chrome available for someone down the road.

Have your friends at the track check harder/dig deeper - EVERYONE has *something* available.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

You can check out the link in my signature, if you post what you are interested in finding, you should get some good responses. Like stated before, it really just depends on the meet schedule in your area. Not many people selling horses in the winter anyways. You can see if you or your friends can post an ad at the racing office and the track tack shops. There's almost always horses in need of new homes, but sometimes it's hard to find just the right one you are looking for. Best of luck in your search.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

It's Mid Atlantic Dressage Group. Just got his new computer so I can't post the link yet......

Hidden fox farms on fb has a couple

Don't forget ReRun.

Where are you? I know a trainer who's always looking for good homes for horses. She's in Florida. PM me if you are interested.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

I have a great connection in Maryland if you're in the mid-Atlantic. PM if interested/in this area.

Where is your location? There are a few at Charles Town Race track. Send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Yup, a lot of the Northern tracks are shut down for the winter. That makes it a lot harder to find horses. Did you check New Vocations? It looks like they have some nice geldings on their site right now. The first one listed, Wannabe, had me salivating a bit. http://www.horseadoption.com/thoroughbreds/
    Other then Finger Lakes and Suffolk Downs what other “northern tracks” are closed?
    Aqueduct, Parx (Philly Park), Penn National, Laurel, Charlestown are all open. Bowie Training Center is open as is Fair Hill and Westhampton.

Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post
    Other then Finger Lakes and Suffolk Downs what other “northern tracks” are closed?
    Aqueduct, Parx (Philly Park), Penn National, Laurel, Charlestown are all open. Bowie Training Center is open as is Fair Hill and Westhampton.
    Well, you don't get as much from the "higher end" tracks, as those horses often have a step or two down the ladder to go yet, before they're done. I think, otherwise, it's just a matter of semantics. If you live in New York State, anything from Southern PA south is not "Northern." Otherwise know as "If you don't get six months of Winter, then you don't live in the North."
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a lovely sound big gelding. I can't seem to give away.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

OP, if you are in the "home of dunder mifflin", I'm assuming you are in Scranton ( BTW- love that show!)... PM 2869 on here, or check out this FB page. lots of really nice horses posted very frequently. If I were still in the area I'd have a more than a few of her horses in my barn!
    ~Living the life I imagined~