The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I also use the over-the-poll method when lunging, but more often I use a single-ring lunge cavesson. It makes such a difference; horses can't pull, their mouth is left alone, and I can maintain their bend much more effectively. It also gives quite a wakeup call when pony decides they'd rather play than work. I thought that i would miss the extra rings when I bought a one-ring cavesson, but that is all I need; it's also really easy to change directions.

I have had a dressage trainer show me how to slide the lunge line through the bit ring then clip it to the surcingle/billets. You can be more effective bending the horse to the inside and have a lot of leverage and control but they do need to be more experienced.

Usually I run the line through the ring, under the jaw, through the other ring, and the clip the line back to itself.

Quote Originally Posted by sterling2000 View Post
    Ibut more often I use a single-ring lunge cavesson. It makes such a difference; horses can't pull, their mouth is left alone, and I can maintain their bend much more effectively. It also gives quite a wakeup call when pony decides they'd rather play than work. I thought that i would miss the extra rings when I bought a one-ring cavesson, but that is all I need; it's also really easy to change directions.
    I really loved mine, but have not been able to find one like it. The nose piece is a hard padded roll, that really is form fitted in the shape of the nose not bendable/flexable at all, topped with a steel strip that the ring is welded to. I purchased it 35 years ago, and have not seen anything like it.