The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Experience/opinions on smart control IR?

Came across this supplement, considering it for a super duper easy keeper with normal bloodwork. Thoughts and experience appreciated

What supplement?
    My treasures do not chink, nor glitter. They carry me to great heights, they gleam in the sun, and they neigh in the night. That is my life, at the end of the day.

My vet recommended the Platinum IR but my horses wouldn't eat the powder so I switched to Smart IR and they eat it right up. I bought the big bucket for 2 horses. I think I can see the "swollen" sheath on one of them going down although it's only been about 3 weeks or so.

These two are super easy keepers and because I lost my heart horse to Cushing's and founder, I'm all for trying this.

We have normal blood work too.

My warmblood is IR and early Cushings. Just a supplement is not enough to control IR. The horse needs to be on low sugar/carb feed, and even have your hay tested for sugar content. OR....soak your hay in water for a few hours before feeding (2 hours in warm water, 3 hours in cool), this takes out/neutralizes about 30% of the sugar. I feed straight Magnesium (QUiesscence) to balance his system, and he gets 3/4 scoop of Triple Crown Lite (9% Non-Structural Carbs--that's pretty low. The lowest I could find.
    There is a pretty intense group on Yahoo--search Equine Cushings in Groups, they have a lot of answers. However if your blood work is really normal, than there may be another explanation for a swollen sheath, IMO.
    My treasures do not chink, nor glitter. They carry me to great heights, they gleam in the sun, and they neigh in the night. That is my life, at the end of the day.

I second the yahoo group? Also, do you know what exactly was tested for the bloodwork. I've unfortunately found some vets aren't completely up to speed in the latest tests.

I had good results with Smart IR. But she was also managed correctly. Dry lot with hay and a ration balancer. Those got the weight off quickly, but Smart IR seemed to really make the cresty neck disappear, which had hung around despite her getting back to a good weight.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

We used it for about 6 months for an extremely IR horse and didn't really see any results. We switched to Quiessence and saw significant and immediate results, and have stuck with that. However, the one thing I have learned with an IR horse is that there is NO magic formula - something that works like a dream for one horse is useless for another, and vice versa. So it's certainly worth a try, I think it's a good supplement with a good mix of stuff, just didn't work for this particular horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pookah View Post
    We used it for about 6 months for an extremely IR horse and didn't really see any results. We switched to Quiessence and saw significant and immediate results, and have stuck with that. However, the one thing I have learned with an IR horse is that there is NO magic formula - something that works like a dream for one horse is useless for another, and vice versa. So it's certainly worth a try, I think it's a good supplement with a good mix of stuff, just didn't work for this particular horse.
    I have to second the almost instant and immediate results from Quiessence. I rescued a foundered/Cushings mare in BAD shape and needed to get her managed fast. Put her on the Quiessence the second she got home, and she had already improved by the time the bloodwork came back.

Have my "normal" bloodwork gelding on it as well, and it keeps him slimmed down.

Good advice, thanks! I have been all over the web looking into this stuff and thought I'd ask about Smart Control IR since it seems to have a mish mash of many the herbal and mineral remidies people have been using.

I'm already doing the limited time on grass in addition to a muzzle, dry lot otherwise with plain mature grass hay. He does get excercise but to be able to feed him half of what a normal horse would eat he needs to be worked really hard at least 5 days per week, in addition to tons of walking. I'm not looking for an easy out, just trying to put in place any positive changes that I can realistically handle.