The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wellness food for cats

Who feeds this?

I have just recently (ie. this week) switched my kitty to Wellness Indoor Cat dry food. He's never been a fan of wet food, but I did buy a few cans today and will see if he takes to it. He is a bit chubby and I've begun to notice that he has quite a bit of dandruff in his coat. The reviews online indicate that this food is amazing. Any personal experiences?

I feed it, both the Core kibble and the grain-free canned. I also feed less pricey but still lower carb wet food like Fancy Feast based on the charts at catinfo.org. My old girl (12yo) won't go for much wet food -- she likes reconstituted freeze-dried chicken or Whiskas trays/pouches and that's about it. The little guy will eat anything, so right now he's benefiting from the Wellness canned food.

Back before I added the little guy (9mo) to the herd, one large bag of Wellness lasted a lot longer than the prior crap I had been feeding (Iams) my adult cat. She still gets dry skin, but it's a lot less severe now and her stud tail isn't quite as greasy anymore. I also think her coat in general is a lot softer. The added bonus is that due to being able to get more out of the food and having to eat less of it, litter box clean out duty isn't as bad as it used to be (ie, smaller "presents").

I used to feed Iams as well (that's what he got at the shelter).....junk. My guy won't eat any wet food that I've offered to date so let's hope he will like the Wellness!

You may find this website as informative as I did when I was transitioning to canned catfood.

http://catinfo.org/docs/Tips%20for%2...%201-14-11.pdf
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by MumboJumbo View Post
    I used to feed Iams as well (that's what he got at the shelter).....junk. My guy won't eat any wet food that I've offered to date so let's hope he will like the Wellness!
    Since you're going along the same path as I did, I'll tell you it will take a bit. I had to go a lot slower than the recommended switch over -- CORE smells a whole lot different than Iams kibble (ie, definitely meatier) and my girl wasn't quite sure that it was food at first. Save yourself some money and buy the 3oz cans to find a flavor he'll eat before going to the 5.5oz cans -- I found out the hard way mine would only lick a bit of the chicken or turkey, nothing else.

Definitely check out the link Eclectic Horseman shared -- sometimes you have to find a "kitty crack" version of wet food that's the feline equivalent of sugary breakfast cereals for kids and slowly start to blend it in with the better stuff you want them to eat.

1 members found this post helpful.

I feed Mr. Kitty the "healthy weight" Wellness. It helps quite a bit. A while ago I ran out of it and gave him Friskies dry, and OMG, he packed on at least a pound until I managed to get back to the specialty pet store for the Wellness.

He also gets half a can of regular canned food also. He won't go near any of the premium canned foods (Newman's, Wellness, I've tried them all.) He eats 9 Lives, Fancy Feast, and Whiskas canned.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

VaqueroToro- I used 9 Lives "Super Supper" as my kitty crack transition food. Now they happily eat Weruva canned food.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    VaqueroToro- I used 9 Lives "Super Supper" as my kitty crack transition food. Now they happily eat Weruva canned food.
    EH, thanks for the kitty crack suggestion. I'm worried that when the old lady cat finds it difficult to chew kibble -- or worse, really cuts back on her water consumption -- that I'll have difficulties finding something she'll eat. I figure if I keep the little guy interested in all sorts of stuff throughout his life, I won't have the issue.

1 members found this post helpful.