The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When Your Dog is the Brains of the Relationship... : )

I had my two corgis for 15 years, so I know the herding breeds are smart, but my adopted Australian cattle dog is so intelligent it's scary.

It was bad enough that Blue learned each individual cat's name (there's 6 of them!) within the first month and would pounce on whichever one I was reprimanding at the time, but now he's just showing off.

He also figured out immediately that scratching the furniture is forbidden, and the sound of claws in the upholstery will bring him running from wherever he is in the house to body-slam the offender.

Well, for Xmas I bought one of those corrugated cardboard scratchers and the cats are addicted. Only problem is that Blue thought that was forbidden territory as well. Last night I got tired of him disciplining the cats again for legal scratching and I sat him down in front of it and said "this is OK." Didn't expect results, so naturally I was gobsmacked when he hasn't made a move toward anyone using that box since. The cats scratch, Blue's ears go up, and he glances at them, then goes back to his business.

I love this dog and can't believe his original owners dumped him!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow, that's like rule-the-world smart. A little scary.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I need a body slam video!
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

1 members found this post helpful.

Ditto the body slam video.

Our JRT knows when I say "Go to the truck!" versus "Go to Daddy's car!" She'll go to which ever rig I say, even if both are parked in the yard.

She'll also bring whatever toy you ask for, and it's always the right one. I love smart dogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Picture a really great NHL body check...

The only thing Blue can't seem to learn is to stop herding the mule that kicked him in the head the first time he went after him!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

Welcome to the crazy world of ACDs. I have four! Ember once pushed a chair across the kitchen floor, jumped up on it to the counter, then on to the top of the microwave. That's where I found her munching on the beef scraps I had intended to put in their supper. Nothing is safe!

Photos?
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Blue -- the Enforcer!
    http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...lin21/blue.jpg

He's apparently a puppy-mill ACD, as the previous owners told the vet where they dropped him off that he'd come from a pet shop known locally for selling only puppy-mill puppies. Doesn't seem to have cost him any brain cells, though.

I have said for a long time that ACD's are scary smart. As a plus they come in a medium, very athletic package. My blue girl is 9 this year , and when she goes, I'm sure I'll get another. I cannot imagine the havoc breeders have when they have a pack'o'cattle dogs tho!

I often said that my Freddie would be unstoppable if he had thumbs.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ers/freddy.jpg

We called him the supervisor. He made sure all the cats/horses/other dogs were in line at all times. Best.Dog.Ever. He's been gone two years and I still feel like there is a gaping hole in my heart.

Congrats on finding a genius dog to share your life!
    "Crazy is just another point of view" Sonia Dada

www.longhopes.org

Took these Christmas morning. The first one shows all four.

Photo

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post
    I love this dog and can't believe his original owners dumped him!
    Let me guess....he's between 9 months and 1 year old? That's when many ACDs get dumped because they are "mean" or "untrainable" or "out of control".

I got Bear at 6 months old (2nd owner - she was "hyper") and Cash at 9 months old (4th owner - she was "vicious"). Both dogs now have multiple obedience titles. Ember came to my house at 7 weeks old. A lady bought her as a Christmas present for her husband the week before. The husband didn't want a puppy. I actually bought Dexter from a farmer last year after Deacon died. He's an awesome pup. Deacon (an ACD mix) was given to me after it was discovered he was no good at herding cows. I was his third owner.

Izzy is a cattle dog/border collie mix. She is wickedly smart, velcro like in her attachment to me, and has the most expressive ears ever.

Loki is my 16 week old purebred cattle dog of the red variety. He was found running in the busiest intersection in the world, no idea how he got there or why he is still alive. He is so intelligent. At 4 months, he knows more than 20 commands. He climbs on tables, steals things, knows he is not allowed to put his feet up on me, so instead bounces off me. Silly boy.

I love my ACDs...the longer I have them, the more I enjoy that quirky temperment.

On that note, time to feed the cattle dogs before there is canine rebellion....

Quote Originally Posted by Arrows Endure View Post
    Loki is my 16 week old purebred cattle dog of the red variety.
    You post things like this, and then you don't supply pictures?! FOR SHAME!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Baxter is half Sheltie, and his mom was Golden Retriever and cattle dog. So he got triple brains LOL . Lucky for me it seems like the GR and Sheltie gave him a high desire to please but every once in a while that cattle dog kicks in and the independence takes over... Quite a handful, it is. Good to hear that at a year old now, maybe the worst is over?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy's Mom View Post
    Let me guess....he's between 9 months and 1 year old? That's when many ACDs get dumped because they are "mean" or "untrainable" or "out of control".
    Murphy's Mom, you called it... He was, and I quote, "a terrible apartment dog." ??????

What were they expecting? But knowing he came from that terrible pet shop, I'm sure the clerk said he'd be perfect for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy's Mom View Post

I got Bear at 6 months old (2nd owner - she was "hyper") and Cash at 9 months old (4th owner - she was "vicious"). Both dogs now have multiple obedience titles. Ember came to my house at 7 weeks old. A lady bought her as a Christmas present for her husband the week before. The husband didn't want a puppy. I actually bought Dexter from a farmer last year after Deacon died. He's an awesome pup. Deacon (an ACD mix) was given to me after it was discovered he was no good at herding cows. I was his third owner.
    I got mine off Craig's list at 6 months old. The owners bought her from a breeder who told them she would be fine with both of them working full time jobs as long as she could go outside. You can imagine how overwhelmed they were when they got home each day and she was all jazzed up from not having anything productive to do, all day. There were times when I almost threw in the towel, she was so nuts, but I am glad I stuck it out. She's a great dog, super smart too.

Ok, fine...

This is Loki

https://www.facebook.com/jwilkison?r...type=3&theater

That should be public, if not, let me know.

And this is Izzy. She's half border collie and half cattle dog.

https://www.facebook.com/jwilkison?r...type=3&theater

They are bad, bad dogs. They have spent the last 20 minutes de-stuffing a toy. Now my study is covered in cotton pieces. I think I'm just glad it's the toy and not the cat or something.