The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gas and Blue Buffalo Dry Food

Tigger the XL corgi was getting to be just a bit too large, and with his back problems keeping his weight down is a top priority. So in November, I switched him from Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice to Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight. OMG! The gas became attrocious!!! I am switching him to BB Wilderness Healthy Weight to see if that helps, he's been on it one day, so I should know by the end of the week if it helps!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

it's probably the very high amount of grain and fiber in that formula causing the gas- BB chicken, that you started with, is fairly high in carbs to start with (40% calories from carbs), but their BB "healthy weight" is one of those super-high-carb foods (60% calories from carbs, plus 7% indigestible fiber) that are very unhealthy and not very likely to help your dog lose weight. Plus all those grains and the fiber can cause gas because dogs have trouble digesting such things.

Dogs lose weight most readily when fed a low-carb diet, not a high-carb diet.

For what it's worth, their regular Wilderness formula is far preferable to both their regular "healthy weight" formula and their Healthy Weight Wilderness formula for both general health and for losing weight-
    regular wilderness has 410 kcal/cup vs. 396 kcal/cup for the wilderness healthy weight, a barely noticable change, (but note, their regular "healthy weight" formula has more kcal/cup-415- than regular wilderness) and the regular wilderness has 30% calories from carbs vs. close to 40% calories from carbs in the wilderness healthy weight. Odds are your dog will lose more weight from the regular Wilderness vs. the healthy weight wilderness even if you feed the same amount due to the lower carb content even though the healthy weight wilderness has slightly more calories per cup.

Note the BB chicken you started with has 442 kcal/cup, 40% carbs, so even if you just replace the amount you were feeding with the same amount of the lower-carb, lower-kcal/cup Wilderness formula your dog should lose some weight.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the breakdown Wendy, it is very helpful.

I find it amusing in a sad way that the diet formula has more calories than the "normal" stuff. I also find it similarly amusing in a very sad way that the manufacturer thinks carb loading is the way to go for weight loss.

Does a dog pancreas work similarly to a human pancreas? Do dogs get diabetes/insulin resistance? Seems that if it does and they can, high fat and protein, just a little less of it plus a few more rounds of fetch, would be the ticket.

I fell for trying Blue Buffalo a few years ago and my poor boy got the poops:-( He has been on grain free ever since...way too many grains and carbs for him to handle in BB.

Good News, the Wilderness is working! Tigger's gasious fumes are definately easing up, I've been able to remove the gas mask!

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, at least now you know how clear out any obnoxious house guests who have outstayed their welcome.

I find it amusing in a sad way that the diet formula has more calories than the "normal" stuff. I also find it similarly amusing in a very sad way that the manufacturer thinks carb loading is the way to go for weight loss.

Does a dog pancreas work similarly to a human pancreas? Do dogs get diabetes/insulin resistance? Seems that if it does and they can, high fat and protein, just a little less of it plus a few more rounds of fetch, would be the ticket.
    yup, and yup and yup.
    You really have to carefully read the labels on these dog foods, not just the
    "claims" by the manufacturer.

Calorie content in "weight loss foods" are all over the place- many have more calories per cup than foods labelled as "regular", so that's the first thing to check.

Most dog "weight loss" foods are the exact opposite of what you want to feed an overweight dog- many a dog turns carbs directly into body fat, and low fat diets slow the basal metabolism, and low-protein diets cause dogs to lose their muscles, which also slows the metabolism. So we feed the poor overweight dog a diet that you'd expect to actually make the dog fatter over time. Plus the high-fiber and high-carbs may make the dog gassy, and have large volumes of poop, and rot the teeth away.

It's been proven clinically the best diet to promote healthy weight loss in dogs is to restrict carbohydrates while increasing the protein content; of course, you also have to keep an eye on calories. Too many calories of any food will cause weight gain.

One of the better choices of dry kibble for weight-loss in dogs is Taste of the wild- lower carb-grain free, and, despite not being labelled for weight loss, it has quite a low kcal/cup, only around 370 per cup for most of the formulas.