The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leather and Humidity

I'm moving to Costa Rica in 4 weeks, and I'll be there for at least 14 months!

In my "welcome packet" they specifically mention "The humidity averages 80% in Costa Rica. When packing, keep in mind that materials like leather mold very fast here. Leather shoes, purses, watch straps, jackets ALL mold!"

I was thinking about bringing my paddock boots so I could try to catch a ride here and there. However, now I'm worried. Since I won't be riding regularly, I know I won't be giving them the attention they need. Will they really get so bad?

I live in California... a dessert. So this is very new to me.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

Will you have air conditioning? It's humid here in VA so I keep all my leather in the house
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Sounds like Florida I second A/C, shouldn't be a problem inside. Otherwise, treat it like the good old days before insulated tack rooms....keep covered, wipe off ALL the TIME.

And congrats, by the way. Have a blast, and PICTURES!!!

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

If you don't have AC, try a product called "Damp Rid" I kept it in my tack locker when I lived in NC and had mold issues.

It has kind of a funny smell, but not as bad as something like moth balls, but I didn't find that any of my leather absorbed the smell and it kept the mold at bay. Might be worth a shot.
    Dreaming in Color

I don't believe I have a/c because we're in the rainforest so it's more chilly than hot. If I cover them what do I cover them with? Should I put them in a bag? What is the best type of material for it? (I'm sorry I realize this is probably a stupid question for those of you in humid climates.

I'll definitely check out the damp rid. Thanks!

And talkofthetown, thanks! I'm really excited, but starting to get nervous. I'll be making a blog so I'll make sure to put it in my signature.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by drmgncolor View Post
    If you don't have AC, try a product called "Damp Rid" I kept it in my tack locker when I lived in NC and had mold issues.

It has kind of a funny smell, but not as bad as something like moth balls, but I didn't find that any of my leather absorbed the smell and it kept the mold at bay. Might be worth a shot.
    Damp Rid is AMAZING. I'm in FL, I swear by this stuff.
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

1 members found this post helpful.

Wonders, when I kept my saddles in a non-climate controlled room, I just kept them covered with a regular saddle cover (cotton? those black generic ones). They're not 100% humid proof, obviously, but they help...mildew wouldn't start showing up for a couple of days. But I was also riding regularly, so cleaning my tack often, too. Yeah, definitely link your blog!

Leather Therapy in the spray bottle will prevent mold. Have fun! I am a native Floridian, and have not had any mold issues since I started using the Leather Therapy.

What takes you to Costa rica and what will you be doing there? Sounds like quite an adventure. Please keep us informed and, yes, lots of pictures.

Ok good! I'm having faith that I can keep my paddock boots alive there.

I'll be working for Outward Bound. They're a huge adventure education organization. Here is Costa Rica's website: http://costaricaoutwardbound.org/ I'll be working with prospective and incoming students; basically getting them all set up for the courses they'll be coming on.

I'm really really excited, but also really nervous. I know very little Spanish, and while I'm trying to learn 50-75 words a day, I'm still pretty intimidated. But this is a dream company to work for and an amazing location. So I will suck it up and learn my espaƱol!

DampRid... there are so many choices! What should I get? I don't know that I'll have enclosed closet, everyone just says "there are places to hang clothes". Will the hanging one do for my boots if it's not a closed area? (I also have to consider space when packing. I might just have to see if I can get it there.)

Does it really only last for 60 days?

And how much Leather Therapy will it take for a pair of boots? I'm spending way to much money getting ready to move... would just 2oz be enough or is 8 more reasonable?

Bump?