The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default My vacuum of a horse isn't cleaning up his grain. Am I treating this too cavalierly?

ETA I'm an idiot of course ulcers.

I've always joked that if my horse doesn't clean up his grain and lick the dish he's dying. But... he's not cleaning up his grain or licking the dish and I really don't think he is dying!

I just moved him to a new farm. His routine is mostly the same- turnout for 8-10 hours on what grass remains with hay supplemented; hay free-choice when in his stall; same food; same medications in his grain. He eats at around the same times. He adapted quickly; he's always been a good traveller and as long as he has hay he's happy.

At feeding time he performs his usual begging maneuvers- he wants his grain and he wants it now- and then eats only about half to 75% of his grain before turning to his hay and vacuuming it up. His attitude is normal, other than not cleaning up his grain. His vitals are normal. He really wants his hay. New barn's hay is some of the best I've seen, and I had two theories- 1) he likes his hay more than his TC Lite grain and is sensibly eating the good stuff; 2) he likes his hay, he stuffs himself on it, and since it's richer than he is used to, it upset his stomach a little. I thus asked for him to get the not-so-good hay, which is similar to what he is getting. Same pattern- eats most but not all of his grain, then goes to his hay.

Assorted other thoughts: bad bag of grain? (Smells normal, looks normal, purchased from same feed supply, he does enthusiastically chow down on the first half.) Sick of having medicine in his feed after 3 months? (Possible- will try dinner without and employ dosing syringe.) Actually dying? (I doubt it.)

Any other thoughts? Am I being a lunatic by adopting a wait and see approach?
    Last edited by Renn/aissance; Jan. 8, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

What medicine is he getting? he could have developed ulcers...he's hungry, starts to eat and then he realizes it hurts his belly to eat- so he moves to the hay which buffers a little...
    Kerri

Quote Originally Posted by kasjordan View Post
    What medicine is he getting? he could have developed ulcers...he's hungry, starts to eat and then he realizes it hurts his belly to eat- so he moves to the hay which buffers a little...
    He is on daily bute and has been for 3 months per vet. DUH! I cannot believe that with every other horse in the family having had ulcers, I didn't immediately think of this. He needs to see the vet anyway, but I'll start him with 60ccs Mylanta before dinner, and see if that improves him. (Stress from moving- regardless that it was not overtly expressed- could very well have aggravated it... I had initially asked her about ulcers when she suggested daily bute, and at the time she didn't consider him an ulcer risk.) THANK YOU for the "have you considered the obvious"!!!
    - Harry Dresden

Personally I would give him the good have and cut back on his grain until you are feeding an amount that allows him to be licking his bowl again. the hay is the preferable feed anyway. He is probably getting more out of his hay than he was before and just doesn't need as much grain now.

Just moved + not eating as well = ulcers. Potentially severe ones, since he is also on bute.

Omeprazole is likely warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    He is on daily bute and has been for 3 months per vet. DUH! I cannot believe that with every other horse in the family having had ulcers, I didn't immediately think of this. He needs to see the vet anyway, but I'll start him with 60ccs Mylanta before dinner, and see if that improves him. (Stress from moving- regardless that it was not overtly expressed- could very well have aggravated it... I had initially asked her about ulcers when she suggested daily bute, and at the time she didn't consider him an ulcer risk.) THANK YOU for the "have you considered the obvious"!!!
    Oh yeah, you've got ulcers ;-) Good luck with him!
    Kerri

Ulcers sound highly likely.

I fourth the ulcer vote (or fifth or whatever). Same exact pattern with my horse was indeed ulcers...

just a thought here, but if your horse needs to be on maintenance nsaids, why not ask your vet about previcox? One quarter of a tablet/day is all they need and it is "supposedly" easier on the stomach wrt causing ulcers. Also, since one of my mares is on maintenance previcox I found some stuff called "equitum" by animed. it basicallly looks like tums but in horse strength. I have been adding a scoop of that with my mares lunches just on the to be safe side.

obviously if you already have ulcers, this would not cure them, but might be helpful at preventing a recurrance once they are resolved. good luck.

We talked about Previcox and ultimately went with bute because historically he had responded better; we're now going to talk in more detail about Previcox. He's on bute as he also has a suspensory and sesamoiditis going on and he was more comfortable maintaining low-impact physical activity on an NSAID.

No omep until I talk with the vet, but the Mylanta test (better on Mylanta than off it? Don't bother scoping, get a prescription) has been tried and true. I am about to leave my job with a gastroenterologist but I wonder if he'd mind if I took some Nexium samples on my way out the door. The rep is dying to give us more. (This is a joke.)
    - Harry Dresden

Not Nexium, but do grab some Ranitidine

Seriously, a better test would be 3000 mg of ranitidine twice daily to see if there is improvement.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."