The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hanging Cross ties?

Weird question: Has anyone ever hung cross ties from a rafter instead of affixing them to the walls on either side? I am thinking of a situation where the alley is a touch too wide, or where there is not an appropriate wall to affix to on one side? They would still be to each side but hanging from above....
    I have never seen this done and am trying to picture whether it would even work or if the horse would have way too much freedom or could get tangled.
    Any experience?

Haven't seen them hung that way, but why not use baling twine on each side of the wall to hook the cross tie to? You could make the length work and then it will also break away if a struggle ensues...
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

1 members found this post helpful.

We had them hung from the ceiling, but it was in a grooming stall, so not as much chance for the horse to turn as in an aisle. I think it would depend on how high the ceiling was, and how wide the aisle was and how far apart the rings were. The further the better.

Our cross ties hang from above the stall fronts. Up about 12+ft. Aisle is 12ft wide, so the length of rope needed to center a horse is longer than what would keep rope off the floor if hung lower.

Cross is the heavy yellow rope to the right of the center horse. Hung from an eyebolt in the post. Sorry I don't have a photo from the box stall side of the aisle, with the 12ft fronts. Ties are the same height on both sides of the aisle. Center horse is about 16H, while the other horses are about 17h. Yep, we use tie stalls every day.

http://s1355.beta.photobucket.com/us...99064922092571

These cross ties have worked well for many years. We have two pair in the aisle, both set up the same way in height.

Thanks for the replies so far.
    My alley is 14' and I want to be able to cross tie a horse in it. Problem is, I visualised the tie going to the post at the end of a stall on one side, and wall on the other. Now that the stalls are in, the place immediately across from the stall post is the tack room door. A pita if the cross tie is always hanging over the door, also a pita if they are not across from one another. There is a metal beam that runs exactly overhead where I would want the ties but it's at....maybe 10ft high so the ties would hang down from that instead of from the walls like I'm used to. I always have a quick release knot on the wall side of cross ties, in this set up it would be unreachable...
    I guess I could tie them to twine but I prefer the quick release.
    Thanks for the photo Goodhors!

My aisle is only 10' wide but there is nothing to attach to on the one side. My cross ties are attached to a cross member that was installed between the trusses over head. They work fine.

No... Do not hang crossties from a beam or rafter without twine or breakaway. The structure is designed to support a weight not resist a side pull from a 1000 pound horse. He could give a literal meaning to "bringing down the house!"

Quote Originally Posted by winter View Post
    Now that the stalls are in, the place immediately across from the stall post is the tack room door. A pita if the cross tie is always hanging over the door, also a pita if they are not across from one another.
    One set at the barn where I board is right next to the tack room like you say (though it's not above the door, just immediately next to it) and I love using those. It's so easy to go in and out of the tack room with my horse right there!
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Now that the stalls are in, the place immediately across from the stall post is the tack room door. A pita if the cross tie is always hanging over the door, also a pita if they are not across from one another.
    Could you put a ring further along the tack room wall to snap your loose end to when the tie is not in use that would lift the rope far enough out of the way?

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    No... Do not hang crossties from a beam or rafter without twine or breakaway. The structure is designed to support a weight not resist a side pull from a 1000 pound horse. He could give a literal meaning to "bringing down the house!"
    Well, I guess it depends.
    I did ask a structural engineer (who has daughters that ride) and he thought the way we did it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTBcooper View Post
    why not use baling twine on each side of the wall to hook the cross tie to? You could make the length work and then it will also break away if a struggle ensues...
    This is the problem with cross ties. I hate them with a passion. So your horse is tied , has a panic attack, breaks the twine and sends the length of cross tie where? Into their own face? Hitting you somewhere? Put up something solid and teach your horse to tie and stay there.

Sorry, I know this isn't what you asked for, just a personal pet peeve.

Do you need to cross tie? Can you just tie in the stable and tack up/groom in there? (That's how I do it.)

Or do you have a spare stable? Maybe you could put them in there.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Well, I guess it depends.
    I did ask a structural engineer (who has daughters that ride) and he thought the way we did it was fine.
    Your barn, your choice ... I would not tie a horse to anything that could not stand the pull. Including an unhitched trailer ... ever see a gate chase a horse?

To avoid the pulling down the rafters - could you set up something like a Hi-Tie? (http://www.easycareinc.com/Other_Products/hitie.aspx)

Or like a High line? (http://www.bchmt.org/esbch/Horse%20High%20Line.pdf) You could adjust the high line so that you use 2 lead ropes to form the cross ties.

When a horse sets back on the high line there is a lot of play in the overhead rope and the pull on the cross beams that it would be attached to would be pretty minimal.

Not personally but have seen it, where I purchased by Clyde from, older barn, lower ceiling, they were on the cross beam secured with huge bolts, 2 maybe even 4" past the width of the beam. When not in use he just hung them to the wall on each side. Was a carriage show outfit so all they had was drafts.

This is personal, no matter what you do as far as hanging them I would ALWAYS tie to a piece of twine. Have seen it come in handy in both the barn and trailer.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Very good points everyone.
    So I guess the general consensus is IF the ties are affixed to something that won't pull the barn down and are otherwise 'safe' then having a hanging rope is an acceptable method to tie a horse. I have seen highlines used with great success in the backcountry, good links Bells!

My barn is steel constructed and I am confident that the rafter could withstand the pull, however I would like to set it up so that there would be a breakaway mechanism, although I am somewhat of an old fashioned horseman in that I do believe in tying to something sturdy and that they shouldn't be able to get away.

I have never in my life tied my horse to: a gate, a portable stall panel, the single bar on a stall front, a cross rail on a fence, a wheelbarrow.... but people do it all the time, it baffles me! I have seen horses run away with all of the above attached to them. Once I saw a horse leave with an entire portable paddock!

My horses are all trained to straight tie very well but I prefer cross ties for grooming. As an aside, I will have regular cross ties in the wash stall with a wall behind as well for less broke horses and as an alternative place to groom.

PS, I do like the suggestion of a hook for above the tack room door, that might work too! I agree to the convenience of having them right outside the tack room.

Thanks again!

Just as an aside, my big horse, Eli, almost pulled my barn down when he first got here. I foolishly tied him to a ring on a support beam. He got scared, pulled HARD, with all 1650 lbs of him. The beam creaked, the roof shook, and then the tie ring pulled out of the wood. Scared me to death. He is older and calmer now, I seldom even have to tie him at all, he will stand mostly where I ask. But, for vet and farrier and such, I just loop the lead through a ring and never tie. I always say, if Eli wants to go -- let him!

I have never in my life tied my horse to: a gate, a portable stall panel, the single bar on a stall front, a cross rail on a fence, a wheelbarrow.... but people do it all the time, it baffles me!!
    forgot the ground, our horses were trained to remain in place when their lead or a rein was on the ground

All this hand wringing about tying is amusing.

If you need crossties hanging from above, then hang them. Turtle Snaps attached to the cross ties via a single loop of baling twine should work, and I like overhead crossties b/c you don't have to duck under anything. If they are long enough you can hook them to the sides of the hall like you've pulled back the curtains. Is it really and truly confounding to figure this out?

If you don't like crossties, don't use them.

hang a rope or chain straight across the aisle up high. attach cross ties from this hanging down, voila hanging cross ties! they work just fine.
    i would recommend using common sense and put things like balers twine and safety snaps in the appropriate places