The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm not a tax lawyer, but if you buy an item in a taxed state (PA) and return it to a non-taxed state (DE) they keep the sales tax. I am almost 100% certain that's illegal and tax fraud. But I never bothered to look into it. The excuse that's given is that they have a sh*tastic computer/register system. Well CONGRATS! I agree. So why not DO something about it instead of soldier on for years with the world's most archaic and anti-customer-friendly system?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

true...Do that often at NJ store

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

I had a really rotten customer service experience in the Raleigh store just after Christmas, so I'm glad they made SOMEONE happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I had a really rotten customer service experience in the Raleigh store just after Christmas, so I'm glad they made SOMEONE happy!
    AND we had catalog ordered Christmas returns. They were really great...and I gotta admit I was NOT expecting them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by kisstherain View Post
    I had this experience, too, with a safety vest I ordered from the Dover store. I wanted to physically try them on since I have never had/worn a safety vest before. They didn't have the size I needed, so I ordered one and it shipped to my house for free. However, when I looked at my sales receipt once I got home I was charged $18.95 for "tax on item shipped," or something like this, which was essentially the same as the shipping charge! I don't know, maybe this was a taxable item anyways (no tax on apparel in my state), but I felt like I was getting duped! I went and ordered the exact same item from SmartPak, with free shipping and no tax, and it came about 1.5 weeks faster than the vest from Dover (I was told the vest was in stock in the Dover warehouse). Good thing I ordered it from SmartPak too, as the Dover vest arrived too late for what I needed it for anyways.

Dover really needs to get with the times on shipping cost issues.
    I doubt a protective vest is considered "clothing" for tax purposes. It's either sporting goods or safety equipment. Don't know which state you are in, but clothing is not taxable here in PA. That means only items you would tend to wear in everyday life. Sporting goods/wear are still taxed, along with accessories, formal wear, and fur.

For online purchases, sales tax is only charged when the company has a brick-and-mortar presence in the state. That may be the difference between Dover charging you sales tax and Smartpak not.

Drat! I was going to place an order to the closest store to me and do the hour drive to pick it up.
    There is a nice knitting shop at the other end of the parking lot and I drive up to pickup items and then hit the yarn shop and eat lunch before diving home.

This is exactly why I shop with SmartPak or my local tack store.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm in upstate NY (Capital area) and we don't have a Dover here. I have family on the MA south shore and last year stopped on the way home from MA at the Wellesley shop. I was looking for half chaps at the time and was disappointed that their fairly large shop had fewer chaps in stock than my very small local store. They did offer to bring things in from the warehouse, but that didn't help me as the shop was nearly 3 hrs from home. I ended up buying the chaps from my local store, but was pleased to find that SmartPak has its shop very nearby in Natick.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique