The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    You won't get a registered dog from a quality breeder for $500.
    We talked to a retired vet last night. He had a registered German Shorthaired Pointer, seven months old, started in the field, for $700. He has been breeding and competing with his dogs for many years.

I am sure the dog probably is not going to make a good gun dog but he will have had training in the field which is worth a pretty penny in and of itself.

Quality dogs can be had for less that $500 but I think those tend to be more the working and hunting dog varieties which is what we are wanting.

One advantage to all this looking, he now knows exactly the type of dog he wants. We had a GSP before, one we found in our hay field. She was a wonderful dog so we will go that route again.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    Hmm....well, most quality breeders won't have puppies for $500, but some will - especially, for example, well-bred puppies that either have a chance of going under/over the breed standard size, and/or that have some other *flaw* that don't make them show-quality (aka breeding-quality). Some breeders don't sell their "pet quality" dogs for less than their "show quality" dogs, but it does depend on many things. If you know what you want, and get to know the breeders, you might be surprised.

My show dog did not cost anywhere near $2500, and has more than an impressive pedigree. I can't imagine what on earth someone is thinking of when buying a dog for that price and then neutering it! That is insane! For a show dog/breeding-quality dog, that price might be reasonable for many breeds, but for a pet...?

Sorry, but I do have to wonder about the details on that story and/or the determination that this is a reputable breeder - the fact that the breeder waited until the puppy was ready to be picked up to decide whether the buyer was good enough? And if not, did they have a backup buyer? The buyers for my dog's litter were "vetted" before the puppies were even born, but even if you don't have them all lined up before that, the breeder has 8 more weeks to figure it out before he/she lets them leave home.
    the prices of the pups depend on breed.
    You won't find a bulldog pup for under a grand. Not going to happen.

I have to say it's been 20 years since I looked at purebreds, but a top bred Dalmatian was only about 450, that included BAER testing!

Breeders - the good ones - are not in it for the money. If they are breaking even on a litter they consider it a win!

but most of them are also active in breed rescue, pulling dogs from pounds nad fostering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    the prices of the pups depend on breed.
    You won't find a bulldog pup for under a grand. Not going to happen.
    Of course.

Our friends have a bulldog and I think they paid $1500 (for a "pet quality" puppy).

I love my purebred dogs, and I show mine and hope to breed him someday soon. But I don't know that I would ever pay $2K+ for a pet that I planned to have spayed or neutered. Lots of great breeds out there, and lots of breed rescues if you have your heart set on something....

Another thought for the OP and also anyone else reading this thread (since the OP seems to have found something), is that if you get in touch with a breed club you might find a dog that needs re-homing. Not a "rescue" but a different situation. I know of one right now, and knew about a great show-quality puppy some time ago when the owner died. They won't be advertised publicly.

I paid $975 for Tribble corgi as a puppy from a champion Corgi breeder eight years ago. She has a marking that makes her not qualified for showing or breeding, so she was sold to me as a "pet." The breeder's show quality puppies were sold for $1,125.

Right now we are trying to find an adult big fuzzy dog to fill Shadow's empty place. We want a 4-7 year old, male adult who will get along with Tribble and the cat, hang out and sleep on the couch, and go for walks. The going rate for the reputable rescues in my area is around $375 - $425 for a golden retriever-ish/shepherd/collie mix - essentially, a nice big dog who is NOT a pit bull. I am getting extremely discouraged trying to find one. None so far have fit what we're looking for. I can't go to a breeder and buy the kind of dog I want, even if I spent $2,000.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I paid $975 for Tribble corgi as a puppy from a champion Corgi breeder eight years ago. She has a marking that makes her not qualified for showing or breeding, so she was sold to me as a "pet." The breeder's show quality puppies were sold for $1,125.

Right now we are trying to find an adult big fuzzy dog to fill Shadow's empty place. We want a 4-7 year old, male adult who will get along with Tribble and the cat, hang out and sleep on the couch, and go for walks. The going rate for the reputable rescues in my area is around $375 - $425 for a golden retriever-ish/shepherd/collie mix - essentially, a nice big dog who is NOT a pit bull. I am getting extremely discouraged trying to find one. None so far have fit what we're looking for. I can't go to a breeder and buy the kind of dog I want, even if I spent $2,000.
    come by my place...

I think the local pound is full of critters that match your description!
    The cats go for 50-80, no idea what the dogs go for.

Which actually reminds me: Swing by your local Petsmart on a Saturday morning. At least ours hosts the local dog adoption circuit, I think the pound...they have some nice dogs there some times!

http://www.theanimalshelter.net/Dog%...ion%20Page.htm
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Do any shelters in your area run specials on black dogs? Many places here do as they are more difficult to market. I actually really prefer the look of black dogs, so I am a little partial.
    I definitely agree that average price depends on the breed. Getting the older puppy sounds like a great solution! When I got a puppy from a rare-ish breed, I found that they ran from about 1200-2000. There is quite a bit of health testing included, as well as tail docking and often ear cropping. Bull dogs tend to be expensive because of the need for C-sections due to the large heads. I don't know how common it is, but the vast majority of people that I spoke with charged the same for a pet puppy vs. a show prospect. I was told that with an 8 week old puppy, you might be able to rule out some individuals for a conformation career, but you really couldn't guarantee that any puppy would be a show prospect until they grew up a bit. Show prospect puppies were placed only with people willing to retain a professional handler. I would like to try just about everything with my dog, but nothing that requires sending the dog off to a handler - just personal preference.

Alagirl, that's the whole Northeastern problem. The southern states apparently are overflowing with homeless dogs, so the rescues bring them up here. Unfortunately, many of the southern-connected rescues will not bring the dogs up until they have guaranteed homes for them. Since I can't adopt one sight-unseen, I'm restricted to organizations that have local-area foster homes. The public animal controls/MSPCA in my area only have pit bulls and little mixed-breed chihuahuas.
    There are tons of lovely-looking golden-ish type dogs on Petfinder, but 90% of them aren't in my area.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Alagirl, that's the whole Northeastern problem. The southern states apparently are overflowing with homeless dogs, so the rescues bring them up here. Unfortunately, many of the southern-connected rescues will not bring the dogs up until they have guaranteed homes for them. Since I can't adopt one sight-unseen, I'm restricted to organizations that have local-area foster homes. The public animal controls/MSPCA in my area only have pit bulls and little mixed-breed chihuahuas.
    There are tons of lovely-looking golden-ish type dogs on Petfinder, but 90% of them aren't in my area.
    I smell road trip in your future!

April is nice down here, when the Azaleas bloom! ^_^

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey09 View Post
    Show prospect puppies were placed only with people willing to retain a professional handler. I would like to try just about everything with my dog, but nothing that requires sending the dog off to a handler - just personal preference.
    Well, that stinks! Can I ask what breed? There are some that seem to always be handled by professionals, but many that can be successfully owner-handled to a Ch. My dog's breeder really likes to try to find homes where the owner wants to handle the dog in conformation and/or field or agility...because she thinks they are better "pet" homes for the dogs. People who want to "send their dog off" with a handler aren't the kind of home she is looking for. Of course there are lots of great handlers out there, but my breeder wants the dogs to be pets first, show dogs second. It's not a "life" to be on the road with a handler - it's a year, or maybe two - of their life.

And I agree with you about conformation - at 8 weeks it is very hard to tell, but there are sometimes things that you know; e.g. in my breed it is not a defect for a puppy to have a mostly solid head or coat, but it could be harder for them to achieve a championship. If you had "pet" homes and "show" homes lined up, the one with the solid head would probably go to a pet. Now, many breeders don't change their prices, but some might, depending on the number of puppies and the demand for homes. A litter of 11 when there are only 8 homes lined up might end up differently than a litter of 5 with 7 prospective homes lined up....

Try Collie Rescue of New England. I believe their adoption fee is around $250 for the age dog you're looking for.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

[QUOTE=S1969;6772542]Well, that stinks! Can I ask what breed? There are some that seem to always be handled by professionals, but many that can be successfully owner-handled to a Ch. My dog's breeder really likes to try to find homes where the owner wants to handle the dog in conformation and/or field or agility...because she thinks they are better "pet" homes for the dogs. People who want to "send their dog off" with a handler aren't the kind of home she is looking for. Of course there are lots of great handlers out there, but my breeder wants the dogs to be pets first, show dogs second. It's not a "life" to be on the road with a handler - it's a year, or maybe two - of their life. [/QUOTE

My guess is it is grooming more than anything. Learning that can be tricky. If I really wanted to show, I think I would get a short haired dog.

[QUOTE=Casey09;6773779]
    Well, that stinks! Can I ask what breed? There are some that seem to always be handled by professionals, but many that can be successfully owner-handled to a Ch. My dog's breeder really likes to try to find homes where the owner wants to handle the dog in conformation and/or field or agility...because she thinks they are better "pet" homes for the dogs. People who want to "send their dog off" with a handler aren't the kind of home she is looking for. Of course there are lots of great handlers out there, but my breeder wants the dogs to be pets first, show dogs second. It's not a "life" to be on the road with a handler - it's a year, or maybe two - of their life. [/QUOTE

My guess is it is grooming more than anything. Learning that can be tricky. If I really wanted to show, I think I would get a short haired dog.
    even the pros started off as noob at one time.
    Grooming to perfection can be learned (but I am with you, a nice non-white short hair dod!)

Even though my breed isn't really heavily coated (brittany), they still require a "professional" show grooming to go in the ring (especially males, who tend to have more coat). I am learning but not sure I'll ever be doing it on my own; luckily my breeder is one of the best! I can't imagine what it would be like to show a dog with no coat - weimarainer or vizsla, for example. Probably a lot of fun! Good god, what would we do with our time? I think show-day grooming is really just an excuse to do something while you wait!

I can't imagine what it would be like to show a dog with no coat - weimarainer or vizsla, for example. Probably a lot of fun! Good god, what would we do with our time? I think show-day grooming is really just an excuse to do something while you wait!
    I went from showing Samoyeds (HAIR HAIR EVERYWHERE) to showing Rhodesian Ridgebacks. It is FABULOUS Quick wash in the tub, let them air dry, make sure the toenails are nice and short and sometimes trim off the whiskers.

It seems that they go into the ring pretty early in the day, so very little standing around waiting.

I would not go back for anything

Not to mention dogs being brought in from other countries to meet the demand here in the States. "Rescue" is becoming a thriving business in some cases.
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

Come to Kentucky shelters. Plenty of dogs to go around. I'll even help transport.

Quote Originally Posted by BLBGP View Post
    Actually, studies show just the opposite. When it comes to cats and dogs, the price people pay for them has no bearing on how they will be treated. Which is why shelters see pets people spent hundreds or thousands to purchase surrendered all the time.
    This has been my experience. People are just as quick to discard the 5K pet store puppy as the free puppy off CL, once the cute wears off and they realize they have a dog. Usually a non-housebroken dog with behavioral issues they've created...

Quote Originally Posted by gaitedincali View Post
    This has been my experience. People are just as quick to discard the 5K pet store puppy as the free puppy off CL, once the cute wears off and they realize they have a dog. Usually a non-housebroken dog with behavioral issues they've created...
    well, for 5k, the buttons and training should come at birth, right!

Well, I would have to say I've got 2 mixed brds.(Husky&GS) sittin' under my feet When we went to the shelter we were told that they were bro&sis,they sure acted like it--We had to wait on Fayla(the girl)cuz the damn AC thought that our cats were counted in the total animals we could have!!If you go over 3 dogs you have to have a kennel lic.! There was a "supposed" rescue from Bay City that seems to pick up GS andpart ones that use their "rescue status" to get them from various pounds. Having seen their various ads,poor Fayla would have been deemed, only pet,not around cats,other dogs,or sm. children,probably wouldn't be good around men. My Hubby is a long haul Trk. Driver,1st time he came back she went nuts,jumpin' on him -- We taught her that cats of the house are not to be molested, the old girl,Chcotah is Not to be messed with--thing is @ that time it was $45 & a cert. to take to your vet,that took $40 off of the spy'neuter. It cost us probily $299 for that and other than rabies vac. that has to be done by a vet to get them lic.'d The point I'm tryin' to make is that this rescue had already picked up other dogs from this AC that were already fixed/up to date on shots/current lic.had them up on their"adoptable for at the lowest $500,because of costs-just sayin'

Golden Rescue: http://www.sunshinegoldenrescue.com/

And there's also the Collie Rescue of New England.

Many of the breed rescues pull from the south and the midwest, so if you're looking for a particular breed (or mix of that breed), give a breed rescue a call and let them know what you're looking for. They may have dogs coming in or not yet listed on the website.