The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Worming and wormers and scheduling.

Hi,
    Can I please get some opinions and feedback on how often do you worm, and do you use different chemicals (to prevent resistance buildup)?

I don't want to do a daily wormer. I gave a paste wormer in October.

Thanks.
    My treasures do not chink, nor glitter. They carry me to great heights, they gleam in the sun, and they neigh in the night. That is my life, at the end of the day.

Google "strategic deworming" or do a search here on it. I've switched to this from a rotational program and my Boy's weight looks better than it has in 3 years.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

1 members found this post helpful.

I do fecal egg counts spring and fall and generally use something for tapeworms once a year regardless of FECs. What I use for deworming depends entirely on what shows up in the FEC, and my vet usually gives me the options since he's the one that does the test.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Go to www.thehorse.com and look under videos, under webinars (or something like that) and Strategic Deworming.

Keep in mind that deworming is not about opinions Parasites have well-defined life cycles, weather affects them in well-defined ways, there are well-defined ways to see what sort of immunity a horse has towards worms (ie FECs), and there are well-documented papers on which chemicals have high efficacy and which ones have widespread, low efficacy

So as DW said, you start with getting FECs done Spring and Fall (and more often when just starting out), deworming anyway with Equimax and Quest Plus because you still need to deal with bots and tapeworms (whether you need to do those once or twice a year depends on where you live), and then the appropriate use of FECs will let you know if you need to do anything else. 80%+ of horses don't need anything else the majority of the time.

Deworming is no longer every horse at a set time frame.
    It is now a specific horse gets a specific treatment depending on their FEC.

JB covered it well in the post above.

We get fecal tests done every 2-3 months. Then depending on what the horse tests positive for, we give a dewormer for those parasites.

There are parasites out there that do not show up in FEC or are infrequent finds in FEC. These are not limited to just tapes and bots. What parasites are or are not of concern for your horse should be a discussion with your vet. They will have a good handle on your area/regions parasite and resistance issues.

Echo everyone's FECs. I do them only twice a year, since all three of mine have been big fat 0's for the last three years. I also deworm once a year for tapeworms (ivermectin+praz)

Since worms vary across the country I got info from my local vet university.

I'm doing a modified three way rotation. I don't rely on fecals since they do not detect tapworms, a major concern.

Quote Originally Posted by SendenHorse View Post
    Since worms vary across the country I got info from my local vet university.

I'm doing a modified three way rotation. I don't rely on fecals since they do not detect tapworms, a major concern.
    Even horses whose FEC show zero get dewormed 2x per year, for those things that do not show in the FEC.

I do agree that it is best to go with what your vet thinks is best for your area.

I agree with everyone. We've been doing FECs for a few years, too and everyone comes up negative so we only deworm for bots and tapes after the first hard frost and again in late Spring.

Go with your vet's advice since there isn't a one-size fits all answer.

These are all very good suggestions. One interesting thing I might add is that many sources say 20% of the animals in the herd carry 80% of the worm burden. Deworming will be different in those animals even if they share the same environment as the others.

Quote Originally Posted by D Taylor View Post
    There are parasites out there that do not show up in FEC or are infrequent finds in FEC. These are not limited to just tapes and bots. What parasites are or are not of concern for your horse should be a discussion with your vet. They will have a good handle on your area/regions parasite and resistance issues.
    THIS ^^^^^^^^

Each time the shoer comes, I worm.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    THIS ^^^^^^^^

Each time the shoer comes, I worm.
    Are you aware of the resistance issues that have happened with dewormers?

Yes.

Do you have an area prone to neckthread worms?

I do.

FEC-based deworming is the current standard of care. I try to go with expert consensus whenever I can, even if it means shedding old habits I've been comfortable with for years. I know all things don't show up on a FEC but a careful vet (mine is) can do an excellent job--my one gelding started rubbing his tail this early summer so we did a fecal. Sure enough, light pinworms. Treated them accordingly and he stopped rubbing immediately. The others had nothing so they did not have to be treated.

It's become second nature to just stuff them full of whatever every 8 weeks, but that is no longer the standard of care, is entirely too inaccurate IMO, and just escalates the problems of resistance. Plus even though I'm a big fan of pharmaceuticals, I only like to use them when necessary.
    Click here before you buy.

FEC based worming programs may be the standard of care for parasites monitorable via FEC. But real and serious health issues, even death, can result from ignoring or being ill informed about other parasites. Neck thread worms are just one of the little nasties out there. They tend to plague my area too. So do liver flukes.

OP chat with your vet... again they will have a good handle on parasite/ resistance issues relevant to your area.

[QUOTE=each time the shoer comes I worm[/QUOTE]

yeah....that might be overkill unless you're shoeing sparingly.
    My treasures do not chink, nor glitter. They carry me to great heights, they gleam in the sun, and they neigh in the night. That is my life, at the end of the day.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Just wanted to point out that, sadly, many vets are not aware of the latest deworming recommendations. I know some are still recommending the old rotational deworming, which, as we all know, is out-dated. Deworming based on FECs and making sure you deworm in the spring/fall for tapes, etc. is the latest standard. If *your* horse has issues with neck threadworms, I would certainly do the double-dose Equimax protocol; otherwise, the FEC-based is the best bet.