The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Wow. I have a 21 year old daughter who just moved back in while attending college. I must say that your reaction is over the top rediculous (sic) and I pray you never have to find out how much you would miss her and not the damn bird if she were to leave you for good. Disgusting behavior on your part, I wonder who she learned it from?
    OP said she'd miss the bird more if her daughter moved out. Most people would like to seem 22 year old move out eventually. we aren't talking about a freak accident here- birds are sensitive to fumes. This is very preventable. While I am sure the daughter is upeer about being yelled at, she'd Hopefully be more upset if she killed the bird.
    OP - try to have a calm conversation about this without name calling. Ask your daughter if you and she can go to a vet appointment together to talk about safety for the bird. Try to avoid making it a battle if who is right.

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow, finally a sensible person who didn't read between lines and fabricate that I called my daughter stupid to her face....well at least some of you odd people were able to get a good adrenaline rush from me venting to people that I thought were potentially able to read and comprehend without jumping to conclusions and packing like rabid dogs. @casey.....yep you hit the nail on the head with what I posted and are appreciated! Now that being said I understand how some of the drama queens and or kings want to "save" posts! All should be more humerous to me if I was still working on that Far Niente....but geez, humerous doesn't quite cover some of the responses....go back and re read my posts again. And, no, I didn't yell at her. Yelling is for people that can't communicate. I am an educated professional with 2 college kids that sometimes frustrate the crap out of me. Now back to reality....lol, thanks for giving me a chuckle!

1 members found this post helpful.

And if she comes across this thread? What then?

You wrote it, all we as readers can do is read the words, we can't hear tone or see expressions.

Posting "I am sick with worry! STUPID kid! " doesn't sound like you're joking, or just a little frazzled. Your first post didn't sound like you were just a little concerned.

You say you don't yell because you know how to communicate. I hope you can do better in person than you have done with this thread.

Oh, as for the copying posts, it gets really old to respond to things and then have the OP delete all their stuff. You say it, you should own it, IMO.

After reading all the posts, I'm pretty sure you have called her stupid to her face. Either way, doesn't really matter- you've said plenty. My daughter's 13 and I've never called her stupid in her life, to her face or not. I'll go to my grave being able to say that.
    As to the bird, there's not much more you can do other than present the information, hopefully, in a conducive manner and hope she listens. Or moves out.
    Last edited by kasjordan; Jan. 8, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
    Kerri

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow, I feel more sorry for your daughter. Why don't you just buy the bird from her and make it yours. Poor kid, hope she graduates soon, bet she leaves and never looks back.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Popcorn anyone?

OP... go take a cool shower and a chill pill. Seriously. Yes. I understand that the fumes are bad for the bird. Yes. I understand that 22 year olds can be a bit daft (I'm 23. So I can say that. ). Get over it and have a reasonable conversation. Is the bird really worth ruining your relationship with your daughter over? Because keep treating her the way that you do and it will. It's a bird. She's your daughter. Priorities, lady.

I'm a mom myself, and I would never EVER even dream of calling my daughter stupid. I did some pretty dipsh*t things as a kid, but my Mom never called me stupid, dumb, an idiot whatever. I'm sure she would have loved to, but she didn't. I agree with Laura. Buy the bird. And buy some Xanax while you're at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I third buying the bird. And Xanax. I did HORRIBLE things to my Mom when I was younger, God rest her, and she never once said (to anyone) that I was stupid. Even though I was.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Meh. Just offer to take the bird so she doesn't have to take care of it. I know when I was in college, it was all I could do to take care of myself. I did have a chinchilla, but he was easy - and I still have him 20 years later!
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by dodedo View Post
    Wow, finally a sensible person who didn't read between lines and fabricate that I called my daughter stupid to her face....well at least some of you odd people were able to get a good adrenaline rush from me venting to people that I thought were potentially able to read and comprehend without jumping to conclusions and packing like rabid dogs. @casey.....yep you hit the nail on the head with what I posted and are appreciated! Now that being said I understand how some of the drama queens and or kings want to "save" posts! All should be more humerous to me if I was still working on that Far Niente....but geez, humerous doesn't quite cover some of the responses....go back and re read my posts again. And, no, I didn't yell at her. Yelling is for people that can't communicate. I am an educated professional with 2 college kids that sometimes frustrate the crap out of me. Now back to reality....lol, thanks for giving me a chuckle!
    You're still coming across as not very nice and a bit of a nutter, to be honest.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

OP, your daughter sounds like the type who isn't willing to learn from family (at least, not at this age). Just like trying to teach a boyfriend or husband to ride, it just doesn't sink in.

Let her learn from someone else -- buy her a subscription to a bird magazine, membership in a bird club, or a few good books on bird care. She may be more receptive to learning from those sources than from her mom.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

Regretfully I have to inform the wolf pack that the ordeal has been thought about today and equated the risk to the reason that a Canary is taken into a coal mine. Imagine that, me being so alarmed and removing the dispenser got her to do exactly what her Mother would do.....research and validate.
    She proved it to herself by trying to make me look like the bad guy, and looked into it and found that she could have been devastated by a stupid mistake by not thinking things through. She didn't think about the aerosol dispenser being like the hairspray that we had previously discussed....and Teflon, and cleaning agents etc etc
    "Mom, thanks for saving my baby from me! Sorry I pitched a fit that you invaded my room and took that dispenser out! It would have killed me to find her sick or dead when I woke up! Cant believe I was that stupid and argued about it last night!" "Today, I even took her to the sun porch while the house keepers were here so she wouldn't breath those fumes!"
    Stupid mistakes can make for tragic consequences so glad this one was avoided.
    She didn't jump to conclusions (for long anyways) that I was a control freak or worse and etc like some of the COTH posters here and she did the right thing and stopped jumping to the wrong conclusions.
    So again, sorry to not provide some with more fodder for their quest at being superior in their own virtual minds, but go ahead and have at it, I will continue to be amused.

Wow. My mother and I had problems, but she was nowhere near as crazy as you are. Hope your daughter moves out soon.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

You came here, blowing smoke through your ears, calling your daughter stupid over and over, and just assumed that we would say "Oh, poor you. What a little idiot you have. You are so right to treat her like crap."

Not really the COTH way. Maybe we would have jumped on the crazy train if you said that you found her, maybe, plucking it's feathers out with hot tweezers and laughing manically while dropping them in a vat of butter.

Glad that you worked things out with your daughter. I still think you need a Xanax.
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

5 members found this post helpful.

OP, you are back-peddling. Some of the people you are trying to say are "reading between the lines" are mothers and daughters. We all seem to share the similar opinion that you have some serious communication/relationship issues with your daughter. I love animals. It pains me to see them in any danger. I would never say or type what you just typed - it is frightening to see how protective you are of this bird and how little you seem to value the relationship you have with your daughter. Believe me, she is aware that the bird is more important to you than she is - when do you plan on changing her mind?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Holy crap, OP. if I found out my mom blasted me on the Internet, calling me stupid and an idiot, I would be pretty upset. How would your daughter feel if you showed her this thread??

Alagirl was spot on when she said, "lady, you are crazy!"
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Eh, she doesn't care. She thinks horse people are whacko with nothing better to do when they are at home than talk to others on a BB. She is all messed up from traveling around in a back pack from infancy onward to shows all around the country while I set jumps and mixed pony cocktails in the wee hours avoiding the braiders as best as I could. She knows her place.

And now you're just trolling.

7 members found this post helpful.

No words. Well actually lots of words but I don't want to get banned so I will keep them to myself. And go hug both my daughters.

4 members found this post helpful.

"Mixing pony cocktails"

Lordy, lady.

I'm going to go have reasonable conversation with my fellow wackos now, because I like them. They aren't crazy train riding meanie heads. And also, I'm avoiding going out in the cold to do chores. Perhaps I need a pony cocktail.

WTH is a "pony cocktail"? Shades of Humble?
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!