The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tell him you can't afford it and ask him if he would please just send in a prescription so you can get the drug for your horse. It is unethical to refuse, IMO, and as others have pointed out illegal or very severely frowned upon in many states. A sincere and polite request indicating that you want to work with him but the cost is prohibitive is perfectly reasonable.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chezzie View Post
    This is not true. If your vet will write you a prescription or call one in, they will happily take your $$ and ship the Pentosan directly to you.
    Agree. Wedgewood sells direct-to-consumer (with a vet's script). They are local to me and have a little store where you can even walk in and pick up your prescription.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

This question has been bugging me.

One of the vets at the clinic I use told me that they recommend against using compounded Pentosan. Maybe it's because they want to sell the PentAussie on their pharmacy site, maybe there is a legitimate concern.

Can anyone discuss this?
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    This question has been bugging me.

One of the vets at the clinic I use told me that they recommend against using compounded Pentosan. Maybe it's because they want to sell the PentAussie on their pharmacy site, maybe there is a legitimate concern.

Can anyone discuss this?
    There are generic "risks" (downsides?) to compounded as opposed to non-compounded. Mainly relating to consistency/impurities.
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    There are generic "risks" (downsides?) to compounded as opposed to non-compounded. Mainly relating to consistency/impurities.

Right.

So where do you get it that it isn't in the compounded form?
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

You can buy it here for $55 per 6ml injection.

http://www.horsemedsonline.com/pento...-6ml-p-80.html

I personally have no problem buying the compounded version from Wedgewood. My vet's practice uses tons of their products, as do most of the equine vets in our area. I think there is a difference between ordering products from one of the largest compounding pharmacies in the country and, say, the Village Compounding Pharmacy (a real place near me).

I personally have no problem buying the compounded version from Wedgewood. My vet's practice uses tons of their products, as do most of the equine vets in our area. I think there is a difference between ordering products from one of the largest compounding pharmacies in the country and, say, the Village Compounding Pharmacy (a real place near me).
    This is how I feel about it, too.

Right.

So where do you get it that it isn't in the compounded form?

I don't. When I used it I used the compounded. PentAussie is the non-compounded form.
    ~Veronica

Thanks, that is the information I was looking for.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com

You can buy it here for $55 per 6ml injection.

http://www.horsemedsonline.com/pento...-6ml-p-80.html

My first time with Pentosan, I ordered from Australia using horsemedsonline. It took over one month to get here. However, I felt improvement using the product. Since then, I have ordered from Wedgewood and I don't feel I get the same improvement. Also, I occasionally get a lump at the injection site, and I did not get that from the Aussie version. However, for those of us with large horses, the 6ml bottle is not enough. I give 8ml and therefore need to buy a larger bottle such as Wedgewood provides. The Aussie comes in larger quantities as well, but too large, and would expire before I used it all.

Interestingly, my vet wasn't keen on PentAussie, so I guess it just depends. I think it may have had something to do with the company that makes it, but I don't remember. Wedgewood does have a good reputation. With new companies, it is a bit more risk I think.

I have never had a problem getting a lump at the injection site and I've only used the compounded version. I always inject slowly (it's thick) then massage the site a little then ride.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I don't. When I used it I used the compounded. PentAussie is the non-compounded form.
    PentAussie is Pentosan + glucosamine. And significantly less Pentosan in a 12ml vial than the plain (non-compounded) Pentosan in a 6ml vial. Not quite the same, but it is not compounded, if that is a deal breaker for you, CDE.

PentAussie is Pentosan + glucosamine. And significantly less Pentosan in a 12ml vial than the plain (non-compounded) Pentosan in a 6ml vial. Not quite the same, but it is not compounded, if that is a deal breaker for you, CDE.

Yes, as I noted in an earlier post the PentAussie has half the amount of Pentosan.

Does anyone use the PentAussie as opposed to straight Pentosan?
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com

I have the same issue w a vet that apparently will only go with the drug approved for that use (adequan).(Same issue with ulcer meds also) I got mine from prerace-it was more expensive--but it did work- a liltte cheaper than adequan with 4 injections. Anyway, because I am a clutz I felt my horse was safer with me using single dose vials so at least I reduced (a little) the risk of me introducing yuk. So far (touch wood) I have had no lumps at injection site which was a concern of mine.

Yes, as I noted in an earlier post the PentAussie has half the amount of Pentosan.

Does anyone use the PentAussie as opposed to straight Pentosan?
    Yes, dur. I meant "Pentosan" with a capital "P." What you're getting from Wedgewood is chemically the same but is a componded form of what is in the trade-name drug Pentosan. Sorry!
    ~Veronica

I have recently queried HorseMedsOnline, and have been told explicitly that their product is shipped directly from Nature Vet, in Australia. It's exactly what my vet is selling, also shipped from Australia. It comes in 6 cc bottles (as in the ones I'm getting from my vet) and a 100 ml bottle. Both are 250 mg/ml. The product Wedgewood is selling in the 6 cc bottles is, I believe, the same----shipped directly from Nature Vet, 250 mg/ml. I don't know about their other bottles. I know a number of vets who feel comfortable using Wedgewood and also Precision Pharmacy for their compounding needs. FYI, HorsePreRace was vague about their practices, and when pressed, told me that their product is compounded in Panama. They gave me the name of the compounding pharmacy, which I could not find online via google.

HorsePreRace has always seemed a little fishy to me, FWIW. Too many products with no ingredients listed. Scary.

Hmmm very interesting stuff. I put my guy on Pentosan, but really it is PentAussie - purchased from my vet. From the first injection the change in him has been amazing - something I wasn't expecting at all. He went from having a horribly rough, bouncy trot to being completely smooth and soft.

We're still using Pentaussie but i will keep this filed in the back of my mind!

Has anyone been told by their vet that it's illegal to write a script for the compounded Pentosan since the non-compounded form is available? I've never heard of this and am scratching my head.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    Has anyone been told by their vet that it's illegal to write a script for the compounded Pentosan since the non-compounded form is available? I've never heard of this and am scratching my head.
    See the article by Molly Sorge (it was posted here yesterday) that was recently published in COTH for a good explanation of the legality/frowned-upon status of compounded drugs in veterinary medicine.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...inary-medicine