The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How do you get your Pentosan?

For various reasons, I am looking to start my horse on Pentosan. Had a lot of trouble today working with the vet's office to get some. They carried PentAussie (too expensive) and compounded Pentosan, but it was 200$ for 50 mL @ 250 mg/ml. It seems like COTHers are reporting about 110$ + shipping from Wedgewood for Pentosan? The almost 100% markup for the compounded med gave me pause. I asked the pharmacist to call my prescription into Wedgewood instead, but she said that they 'wouldn't' sell directly to the consumer/pet owner, only to the vets office? My vet's pharmacy could get it from Wedgewood for me, but will only sell it to me marked up almost double. I understand that everyone has to make money on the exchange, but this seemed like a lot! I love my vet and didn't want to make too much trouble over it, but how does everyone get their Pentosan at the prices mentioned in some of these threads? Will Wedgewood indeed ship it to you directly?

Abba Vet supply. $160, shipped next day, great service.
    Click here before you buy.

I get it from my vet who gets it from Wedgewood for $168 for that size. I've stretched the dose from 4 weeks to 6 weeks and so far so good.

I ordered mine from Diamondback Drugs in Arizona. $148 for 50mL 250mg/ml, free shipping. They were fantastic and easy to work with.

But how do you get your vet to give you a scrip instead of insisting that you buy it from them? That is the problem I have. I don't mind supporting them with some markup but not double. I have the same problem as the OP.

It depends what the laws are in your state. Some states have laws that say if you ask for a script the vet has to give you one. My state (PA) does not, so I have to get everything through my vet. I also pay $200 for the 50ml @ 250mg/ml and that's still cheaper for me than feeding a feed through that might not work or doing adequan. I guess it just depends on how much your vet marks it up.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

A friend of mine is using Pentosan from this outfit. Not sure why they can ship without a script
    http://www.horseprerace.com/index.ph...roducts_id=146

It's $109 (plus shipping) from Wedgewood if you are fortunate enough to find a vet to write the script (I was). The vets are marking this stuff up, and some are charging $260.

1 members found this post helpful.

How many doses are in a bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFallin View Post
    . I asked the pharmacist to call my prescription into Wedgewood instead, but she said that they 'wouldn't' sell directly to the consumer/pet owner, only to the vets office?
    This is not true. If your vet will write you a prescription or call one in, they will happily take your $$ and ship the Pentosan directly to you.

I get 100 ml bottle from my vet. I think it was about $275...so I don't think he's marking it up much. I'm more than happy to pay for his trouble to order it, etc. This is from wedgewood

Quote Originally Posted by whbar158 View Post
    How many doses are in a bottle?
    Depends on how much you give a 5ml dose you would have 10 doses, if you're giving 6ml like I do you get 8 and part of another. So if you're paying $200 for the 50ml bottle it's either $20 or $25 a dose. Still alot cheaper than getting it from horseprerace. I gladly pay my vet for his trouble... I love him dearly and I hope he never retires or leaves the area! He gets mine from Wycliffe.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by arabiansrock View Post
    But how do you get your vet to give you a scrip instead of insisting that you buy it from them? That is the problem I have. I don't mind supporting them with some markup but not double. I have the same problem as the OP.
    Check with your states vets office. In most states if a client wants a script filled somewhere else the vet has to write it for you to fill elsewhere. Of course, vets don't have to write scripts for petosan but since they are already selling it, they are in a bit of a bind if it is in one of the states that requires vets to allow clients to fill scripts at a pharmacy of their choice.

Another issue is according to the AAEP, it is considered unethical and against the AAEP guidelines to mark up compounded drugs at all. They should be selling them to people at cost.

And yes, Wedgewood, 50mil, $110

Quote Originally Posted by arabiansrock View Post
    I spoke with my vet and said "Dr. B, do you think this horse would benefit from Pentosan with her mild hock arthritis and my general conservative nature about giving joint injections?" To which he replied, "I think that's reasonable, Lynn, I know you are pretty well informed on the pros and cons, do you have a source where you want to buy it?" And I gave him the number and he phoned in the prescription. Pretty simple conversation.

Re: dosing, it is 3mg/kg IIRC, which works out @250mg/cc to about a 6cc IM dose for a horse > 1000 pounds or a 5 cc dose for a smaller horse. So there are 8-10 doses in the typical 250 cc bottle.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I spoke with my vet and said "Dr. B, do you think this horse would benefit from Pentosan with her mild hock arthritis and my general conservative nature about giving joint injections?" To which he replied, "I think that's reasonable, Lynn, I know you are pretty well informed on the pros and cons, do you have a source where you want to buy it?" And I gave him the number and he phoned in the prescription. Pretty simple conversation.
    I use Abba because I don't need a script as he has been my vet for over 20 years. If I had a script I would go directly to Wedgewood.

I am severely math challenged and hope you can help me out, although I may be comparing apples to kumquats here.

My vet clinic has a pharmacy they deal with called VetSource.
    I can get PentAussie.
    A box of four 12mL vials works out to about $50/vial.
    The Pentosan is 125 mg/mL.
    Glucosamine is 200 mg/mL.

From horseprerace.com I can get the following.
    Pentosan 6 mL for $40.
    It is 250 mg/mL.

Which is the better deal?

How does Wedgewood compare to these?

Thanks!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I could get him to call it in to Wedgewood but I've been very pleased with Abba Vet's service and hate to pester my vet to keep phoning stuff in for me here there and everywhere. I buy about 1 or 2 bottles a year so it's not that big a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    I am severely math challenged and hope you can help me out, although I may be comparing apples to kumquats here.

My vet clinic has a pharmacy they deal with called VetSource.
    I can get PentAussie.
    A box of four 12mL vials works out to about $50/vial.
    The Pentosan is 125 mg/mL.
    Glucosamine is 200 mg/mL.

From horseprerace.com I can get the following.
    Pentosan 6 mL for $40.
    It is 250 mg/mL.

Which is the better deal?

How does Wedgewood compare to these?

Thanks!
    Pentaussie at $50/vial and you're getting half as much Pentosan as the regular Pentosan. Pentosan at $40/dose (which is more than double what it should cost) is twice as potent for $10 less even with the prices you're paying. Pentosan wins.

Quote Originally Posted by horsenut_8700 View Post
    I get 100 ml bottle from my vet. I think it was about $275...so I don't think he's marking it up much. I'm more than happy to pay for his trouble to order it, etc. This is from wedgewood
    My vet calls in the prescription to Wedgewood and then I order the Pentosan. It is delivered to my home. Including shipping it costs me around $120.00. Somebody is charging a pretty substantial mark-up.

Edit because I didn't read correctly. My bottle is 50mL.

Ya my vet is charging $228 per 50 ml vial. Under state law he may be obligated to give me a scrip if I demand one, but then he is not obligated to ever come see my horse again after either. I am a little hesitant to push on the issue since he seems determined to sell it off his truck. And he does give me a good deal on other drugs like previcox so... But I can't afford $228/vial, $120 would be much easier for me to do. UGH.,