The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another pricing question :-)

I am a lowly event rider who has acquired (read-not purchased-long story) a great dressage horse. He is not for sale at the moment, but at the end of this year, I will probably need to put him on the market. I have NO idea what would be appropriate for him, and would love some thoughts.

He is currently showing at 3rd level with mid-60s scores. This spring I am expecting the scores to be upper 60's-I rode TERRIBLY last fall with lots of mistakes. My instructor (who is also a judge), thinks that we should be able to be competent at 4th this year. I would love to dabble at 4th with him for a bit, but then it will be time for him to move on. He regularly scored in the low 70's at 2nd level.

He is 13 this year, 16 hands, and, gulp, a TB. Straightforward ride, a bit on the lazy side, will do it correctly when you ask, but won't help you out. Light maintenance. Southeast location.

Thoughts? I would especially be interested in the difference in value of a fairly competitive 3rd horse and a maybe not as competitive 4th (although, who knows, we may rock it! ;-) )

Thanks for any input!

I think more information would be needed to really answer the question. For example, you said that this horse is showing third and schooling fourth. Are you riding a previously trained horse or are you putting the training on yourself? If you're not riding at the level of the horse, his training will slide backwards and he'll lose his sharpness to correct aids. Which isn't terrible, either - if your target audience is adult amateur, a tolerant horse is more sellable than an intolerant one. Lots of AAs and kids want a smaller horse who is trained to fourth to show them the way through first - third level. Is he an AA/kid horse?
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Just out of curiosity, did you check with his previous owner about how they feel about you SELLING him (after they gave him to you) after just a year or so? Perhaps they wish for you to continue the favor and pass him onto another ammy?

1 members found this post helpful.

Rephrased question: what would be an appropriate price range for a 13 yr old, 16 hand TB scoring well at 3rd. What if he was scoring well at 4th? Just a general idea as I know nothing!

Clarifications: I guess I made things sound different then they are-I was trying to stay very general about things. I train/teach for a living-just in eventing, not dressage. His previous owners are well aware that my plan was not to keep him.

I am bringing him along with the help of an instructor, but I am certainly out of my knowledge territory now that we are playing with 4th.

I think he is AA/YR friendly, but I could be wrong, as technically I do ride horses for a living. Compared to my more upper level event horses he is a dream to ride, but I'm not sure what is considered AA/YR friendly in the dressage world. In eventing if they do their job in a calm sort of way I consider that AA/YR friendly.

Thanks!

If he is AA friendly or JR friendly at 3rd level doing well as a tb with maintenance around here probably about 25k if he is a schoolmaster type. Doing well at 4th 30k plus. If not a schoolmaster type and needs experienced riders more around 20k at 3rd 25k at 4th. Price will go up if he can go decently out at psg. Just what I've seen
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Default Pricing question

Assuming the horse needs no maintenance, I would start asking $25k but expecting to take somewhere closer to $15k for a 3rd level average moving TB with good (but not necessarily perfect) x-rays, sound flexions, and a good mind.

For what it's worth though, I would personally look at showing him PSG if you think he'll be ready for 4th level this year. The difference between 4th 3 and PSG is pretty small, and you would be able to advertise him as an FEI horse if he's shown PSG with decent scores (60% or better). The only real differences is that PSG calls for a true half canter pirouette rather than a working pirouette and you'll need 3's in addition to the 4's required at 4th level. However, if he's borderline on 4th level, then you might just ride 4th-1 which doesn't have any tempi changes, but rather asks for 3 changes across the diagonal with approximate locations. I wouldn't expect to see much price difference between a horse shown 4th-1 and 3rd level. Having tempi changes would be the next price-jump point in my mind.

As a proven PSG horse with decent xrays, I would expect an amateur friendly TB to sell for around $30-40k. Of course that's in the midwest.

Down here a psg horse that ammy friend hand scores decently, people are usually asking around 65k and up. I don't know what they ate getting but that's what they are usually starting at
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

1 members found this post helpful.